Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus - Sunroof 'exploded' on my commute home

3K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Leora83 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

So...I've been using this forum as a good reference for my 2012 Focus (which I've been really happy with) but I hadn't considered creating an account since I'm not much of a car person and felt like the whole transmission update situation was best left for the, ah, experts and gear heads to hash out.

However, I did have a really scary thing happen to me on my [short] commute home from work tonight- my sunroof just exploded! I don't know how else to describe it...I was cruising down the road at around 65mph with the nearest car way ahead of me in the distance when I heard an extremely loud explosion noise and realized I was covered in glass.

Fortunately, I wasn't hurt and was able to get it to a friend's garage since it was about to start raining when it happened. Upon looking closely at the car, I see the paint across the trunk is really beat up from the glass too :(

I called my dealership and the service manager seemed genuinely concerned and wants to look at it first thing in the morning so I guess I'll go from there.

I'm kind of embarrassed by how shaken up I am, but, geez. Frightening!

See less See more
#4 ·
I hope your local ford dealer takes care of it, rather than insist that YOU broke it somehow due to negligence or carelessness, and are trying to lie to get them to pay for it.

Good luck.

#5 ·
Obviously the other one was not an isolated incident. I wonder if anything came of it. I hope the dealer takes care of it for you.

#6 ·
That's insane. And from your story, nothing hit you and it had not started any precipitation.

Yeah, I also hope the dealership takes this in for you no charge and look into that.

Ray

#8 ·
Thanks everyone,

I'm at the dealership right now. The service manager met with me right away and several people from the service department came out to look at it. Initially they seemed skeptical about the paint damage but a few mechanics spoke up and mentioned the damage was consistent with glass debris. They took pictures to submit to Ford and I'm waiting to hear back...

#9 ·
At the very worst I'd think that your full coverage insurance would take care of it.

On a side note: Yes we believe you. Yes we know crazy unexplained things happen in all sorts of places. Even so, I don't think any manufacturer is going to take responsibility for mysteriously breaking glass unless the glass out of spec. If the glass was installed incorrectly, then it would break in very short order whether being driven or sitting. If you do an online search you'll find that this is not a problem limited to any one manufacturer or model. Sometimes shit just happens.

My first window changeout was on an 85 Celica GT. The passenger side window just shattered while I was driving down the road. I don't know if it was a rock, or just that crazy insta-shattering that laminated glass want to do. Just like you don't know if it was a microscopic meteor, or a rock that was thrown so high up in the air that it came down on your car, and maybe atmospheric pressure from inside the car caused the glass to explode out and thrust the rock up and away never to be seen again.

I'm just saying, don't let these guys with their good intentions get your hopes up. Ford will probably not pay for a new sunroof glass, but your insurance will. If you're lucky, they will offer to pay for the deductible.

#10 ·
First comment would be glad you're OK & there were no catastrophic results from that scary event!

Second would be to second the comments on tempered glass - it's strange stuff & the slightest sharp tap CAN shatter it, yet you can hammer your fist on it as hard as you want without breaking it!

Stress on the glass B4 the sharp tap sometimes seems to be a contributing factor, being a new car you MAY get coverage on a "Good Will" basis even if it's not a definite "warranty" issue that's provable - good luck!

(As others mentioned, the initiating tap from a projectile may have been entirely masked by the explosion of the tempered glass that resulted)

#11 ·
I know this may not help in your situation. There have been many times where I'm driving down the road and hear a large thud on the roof. It is usually followed by an inspection when I get home and some touch up paint. Unfortunately rocks do hit car roofs all the time, people throw things at cars, and things just fall from the sky (birds dropping shells to break them open).

I would imagine that a rock hit the windshield more than it just exploded out of nowhere. You might want to contact your insurance company for glass coverage.

#14 ·
^ Ford Sunroofs are subject to Murphy's Laws like anything else. It is NOT a common problem. However if you are scared and want to get rid of your ST, I will take it off your hands after applied depreciation. [thankyou]

#16 ·
Many years ago I lived at the shore in New Jersey and while walking down the street with a friend of mine we witnessed a car window suddenly shatter and fall into the car, this happened twice on two separate occasions. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. No sound of an impact or anything they just shattered and fill in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.