Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Official Head Unit(Deck) Gallery

238K views 161 replies 124 participants last post by  hbarcat 
#1 ·
Please use the format below and try to provide as much information as possible.
Don't forget to upload a picture of your head unit. Please refrain from posting replies other than in the format below.

Example
Company Name: Kenwood
Model Number: KRC907
Price: $250.00
Overall Rating: 1-10: 9

~ Any Comments

-----------------------------------------------------

Company Name:
Model Number:
Price:
Overall Rating:

#142 ·
Thanks - it wasn't easy, I'll definitely say that. I did it by stretching everything over as one piece first - this is just a bulk roll of the Carbon Fiber vinyl and you just cut out what you need. Being extremely careful to make slits as you go (small ones and behind the bezel so you don't tear it and/or stretch it too much), I used a hair dryer and TONS of patience to mold it in that shape.

This was the second sheet I cut out because it's the first time I used this material; the first sheet I tried pre-cutting all the holes out first (by using a marker on the back of the material) and that was just way too difficult to keep straight. I pretty much stopped as soon as I tried to cover the bezel. Then I just cut out the full sheet I needed and took the backing off, carefully stretched the material out to cover the entire bezel and again, being careful not not tear or stretch it too much while working out the material in a smooth fashion.

If you don't have patience, this is not for you. Once I had that done, I worked on getting all the edges smoothed out and tucked in behind, then made the necessary cutouts for the openings - you want to make them fairly close to the edge (to not have them fold too much and bunch up) but not too close. Of course I had removed the cigarette lighter assembly prior to this and after molding it in carefully (and this was definitely a pain to stretch into that area), I made a very small cutout and only cut the slits when I was sure it was staying that way. It is really stretchable material and that's a must, otherwise you'll tear it easily. I was really happy with using this for the first time.

The bezel hasn't looked great ever since I got the car in 2004, with the silver getting damaged and scraped too easily, I wanted to make it look different but not cheesy. I'm happy with it and the stereo gets an A++++++++ from me - great sound and excellent controls, and the Bluetooth functions beautifully.

#143 ·
Yeah I don't think I would be able to do that. I did just do my surround in a metallic sonic blue along with the vents and door handle. Got the car and they where a shity silver flaking and peeling. Looks nice with the black interior and blue lights from my 80prs head unit.

#144 ·
Sounds cool, wouldn't mind seeing a pic of what you did if you wanna PM me - probably need to keep this thread for the head units since that's what it was intended for. I'm thinking about wrapping the door handles the same way with the silver carbon fiber vinyl (just the inserts of course) and the accent strips on the door panels. Don't want to go too crazy, but a little upscale feel goes a long way.

#149 ·
Company Name: Sound Storm Labroratories
Model Number: SDC24USA
Price: $39.99 (sale at Fry's)
Overall Rating: Worth the price.......

Stock 6006 tuner crapped out, went to use CD, didn't work (stripped gears),
went for cheapest unit I could find. The additional mounting pieces almost cost as much as the radio (would have cost more if NOT purchased at Amazon)

CD, MP3, WMA, USB, SD, Aux-In
50w x 4
4 rear pre-amps
18 FM presets, 12 AM presets

Illumination isn't adjustable, a bit dim during the day, would prefer dimmer at night. Need to press CLK for time if unit is on.

Has remote control ?????? really don't see need for it.

Used Metra 99-5200, cleaner appearance than Metra 99-5806; plus I wanted the rear mounting bracket that doesn't come with 99-5806.

#150 · (Edited)
Brand: Pioneer
Model: AVH-4200NEX
Price: 499USD now, a bit more when I bought it
Rating: 09/10, would be 10 if it had the capacitive touch screen of the higher end models.

Stuff to make it work:
Schosche FD6200 dash kit
Scosche FD02SR stereo interface kit set to Sony wired remote protocol (don't cut any wire loops and it works just fine for the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX)
Scosche VWAB antenna adapter

Optional Stuff:
OEM center armrest compartment bezel part number GC3Z-19C149-A
Metra AX-FDUSBAUX port panel.
3 ft. Red/White RCA extension.
3 ft. USB extension (in addition to the USB extension provided by Pioneer)
3 ft. HDMI extension.
Parking brake bypass relay triggered by the reverse wire from FD02SR harness.
Microsoft wireless display adapter V2 for screen mirroring of phones and laptops. No longer works with Apple products as Apple would rather have you buy the "Lightning Digital AV Adapter".

Attachments

#151 ·
Brand: Pioneer
Model: AVH-4200NEX
Price: 499USD now, a bit more when I bought it
Rating: 09/10, would be 10 if it had the capacitive touch screen of the higher end models.

Stuff to make it work:
Schosche FD6200 dash kit
Scosche FD02SR stereo interface kit set to Sony wired remote protocol (don't cut any wire loops and it works just fine for the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX)

Optional Stuff:
Parking brake bypass relay triggered by remote on lead from FD02SR harness
Chromecast powered by the Apple CarPlay USB port on the Pioneer Stereo (would recommend Microsoft wireless display adapter instead)

Does this retain SYNC?

#160 ·
Company Name: Dasaita
Model Number: HA2187-MAX10-CP
Price: 468.00 USD
Overall Rating: 1-10: 9

Dash Kit: Connects2 CTKFD31C & Scosche 1DIN Tray

Arguably the best 1DIN Android Head Unit on the market.
No HD radio.
Mechless design / No optical Drive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.