Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding

140K views 422 replies 98 participants last post by  PratoN 
#1 ·
I posted this in an old thread about a different transmission problem, but I want more people to hear this. Has anyone had or heard of a similar problem? Please watch this Youtube video. I have grinding that is most noticeable when shifting into 2nd, but is present in all gears, sometimes even when downshifting.

http://youtu.be/54_3_qF2xhQ

The dealer has updated the control unit, but that didn't fix it. They say that Ford has acknowledged a problem with some of these vehicles, but don't have a fix for it at this time. Thus, there is nothing they can do. I'm beginning to consider the lemon law.

#2 ·
Hi Tiburon,

My name is Noemi and I am working alongside Natasha on the FocusFanatics forum. I've reviewed your case. Please PM me with the current mileage and brief history since your last dealer visit, so I can update your case to the regional Customer Service Manager.

Noemi

#3 ·
I have the exact same issue. (768mi.) Before I had the TSB update done yesterday the grinding noise was apparent 20% of the time... and it now happens 80% of the time and is more pronounced as well. I bought it 03JAN12 and it has a production date of 17OCT11. I left it at the dealer for the day today and will wait to see what they come up with and report back.

#6 ·
Same issue! Oh no! :( Is there no official fix yet?
I have the exact same issue. The transmission grinds when shifting into 2nd and to a lesser extent 4th gear. It does it between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm. It does it in both drive and sport, but does not do it when i choose the gears. Not sure what to make of it. I took it to the dealer and they ran a drive cycle and talked to Ford and was told nothing was wrong despite acknowledging the sound. They gave me some papers from Ford saying it was all part of clutch break in. I took it in at 1,500 miles and now have almost 2k and no change. I drove a manual for 15 years before getting this car and can say honestly that this is not just adjusting to the differences in the transmission.
Good Morning Tarzanalog, teamtrinity, atlarch,

I would like to [welcome] you all to the forum!

My name is Noemi and I'm the residential Ford help on the Forum. I can escalate your concern to the regional Customer Service Manager, who will in turn contact you as well as your dealer to assure the issue is addressed properly. Please send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, your personal, and dealer contact info to begin the process.

Take care!

Noemi

#5 ·
Same Issue

I have the exact same issue. The transmission grinds when shifting into 2nd and to a lesser extent 4th gear. It does it between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm. It does it in both drive and sport, but does not do it when i choose the gears. Not sure what to make of it. I took it to the dealer and they ran a drive cycle and talked to Ford and was told nothing was wrong despite acknowledging the sound. They gave me some papers from Ford saying it was all part of clutch break in. I took it in at 1,500 miles and now have almost 2k and no change. I drove a manual for 15 years before getting this car and can say honestly that this is not just adjusting to the differences in the transmission.

#79 ·
I have over 11,000 miles on my 2012 SE and the tranny grinding and jerkyness have not gone away, they have actually gotten worse. I also have an issue where the tranny holds gears for way too long. I had the transmission software update about 5,000 miles ago and things were better for about 2 weeks then slowly started to deteriorate. This would be a great car if it had a different transmission. The car is going back to the dealer this afternoon.

#7 ·
Update: My dealership thinks they've found the culprit (to my grinding anyway). They said that there is a throwout bearing that is supposed to have an attached sleeve... that, in my case... is not attached. Being that we're talking about parts for a 2012 Focus here they had no idea when they would be able to get a replacement in it to get me back on the road... but I am hopeful that the problem will be solved within days and not weeks. [driving] Fingers crossed...

FYI to those of you with a similar issue as at least it's something for a tech. to look for...

I'll report back.

BTW - Thanks also to Noemi for her assistance and to Ford for having them stalk the forum.

#8 · (Edited)
Update: My dealership thinks they've found the culprit (to my grinding anyway). They said that there is a throwout bearing that is supposed to have an attached sleeve... that, in my case... is not attached............
FYI to those of you with a similar issue as at least it's something for a tech. to look for...
BTW - Thanks also to Noemi for her assistance and to Ford for having them stalk the forum.
Morning Tarzanalog,

You're very welcome. We enjoy STALKING [}:)] the forum.
[joke]

Take care and keep me posted on the results.

Noemi

#9 ·
Update 2.0: Got a call from Ford's regional customer service manager today saying that he had spoken with my dealership, the bad throwout bearing "rattling around in there" would definitely have caused the observed grinding noise, that the bearing was en route, and that I'd likely have my Focus back in a day or two.

Kudos to Ford for being on top of my issue. As always, I'll report on whether or not the new bearing does the trick.[wrenchin]

#10 ·
Update 2.0: Got a call from Ford's regional customer service manager today saying that he had spoken with my dealership, the bad throwout bearing "rattling around in there" would definitely have caused the observed grinding noise, that the bearing was en route, and that I'd likely have my Focus back in a day or two.
Kudos to Ford for being on top of my issue. As always, I'll report on whether or not the new bearing does the trick.[wrenchin]
SWEEEEETTT!!!!

Love to hear good news. Keep me posted.

Noemi

#11 ·
I am having the same issue with my 2012 Focus SE. We took it to the dealer and after multiple tests and replacing the clutch the sound is still present. The Field Service Engineer that saw the car said this is a "normal" noise. Since then our customer service with the regional service manager was closed and no further work is going to be done on the car. Can you keep me posted on if this bearing replacement works?

Thank you

#12 ·
I am having the same issue with my 2012 Focus SE. We took it to the dealer and after multiple tests and replacing the clutch the sound is still present. The Field Service Engineer that saw the car said this is a "normal" noise. Since then our customer service with the regional service manager was closed and no further work is going to be done on the car. Can you keep me posted on if this bearing replacement works?Thank you
Hello again JNAGY,

I responded to your post on a previous thread. Figured I'll reply here as well.

As I stated, send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage as well as you personal and dealer contact info and I can escalate your concern to the regional Customer Service Manger.

Thanks,

Noemi

#13 ·
Rattle

I am having the exact same problem. I got my 2012 Focus a week ago and it's been in the dealer for a majority of the time. When I accelerate from a dead stop it makes that weird rattle noise. I have had to take it in twice since the dealer claims they can't hear it or isolate the noise. I'm getting very frustrated since this is a brand new car and it's already having problems, and no one at the dealer thinks there is anything wrong with it.

#16 ·
I am having the exact same problem. I got my 2012 Focus a week ago and it's been in the dealer for a majority of the time. When I accelerate from a dead stop it makes that weird rattle noise. I have had to take it in twice since the dealer claims they can't hear it or isolate the noise. I'm getting very frustrated since this is a brand new car and it's already having problems, and no one at the dealer thinks there is anything wrong with it.
Hi mattymings,

Congratulations on the new Focus. Allow me to assist so that this can be the great experience you desire it to be.

Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage as well as your personal and dealer contact info and I'll have the Customer Service Manager in your area assist.

Well, I've read about every article I could find related to DCT, DSG, DCG, etc. transmissions and despite being without my Focus for a week now (I’m supposed to get it back later today) I still think that I made the right decision.....
All problematic noises aside... you have to think of the Ford Powershift as a manual transmission that you don't have to shift. The car will therefore handle like a manual and sound like one for the most part. I'll know more after I get my car back, but I'm hopeful that as long as I stay on top of this particular issue I'll be happy with my purchase in the long run. My advice is to hang tough and make sure your service guys look for the faulty throwout bearing.
Q1: for Ford... Given that this is a high-labor-cost to low-part-cost issue is there any way to use a more durable replacement part than the stock throwout bearings to save those owners that have had to wait to have it replaced once... will not have to have it done again?
Q2: Is there a directive from Ford (as I've read) to the dealerships to give a stock response for those complaining of transmission noise along the lines of "It's normal, let the transmission break in."? Perhaps this directive should be adjusted to "unless there is a grinding noise indicative of a failing throwout bearing"? New Focus owners (and service techs) are more savvy than that... if it's an issue, let's identify it and fix it together.
Hi Tarzanalog,

Good! I'm glad to learn you're reading up the PowerShift. When you have a moment check out Media.Ford.com, you'll find loads of information about Ford's transmission lineup.

The PowerShift operates as two parallel manual transmissions with a dual clutch design managing the shifts between two gearsets. This design allows the performance and fuel efficiency similar to a manual transmission and the shift quality and ease of operation provided by an automatic transmission.

Your first question would need to be answered by the dealer, as they are provided a complete solution to vehicle concerns.

The second question suggests a pre-established answer regardless of the customers concern. I would hope this is not so in the dealership level. As for my fellow partners and I, we conduct extensive research and pull from many different resources to make sure our customers are never given a "stock response." If I or any other rep on this forum has given such an impression, please bring it to my attention.

Keep me posted on the results; I'm truly interested in knowing the outcome.

Take care and talk to you soon!

Noemi

#14 · (Edited)
Well, I've read about every article I could find related to DCT, DSG, DCG, etc. transmissions and despite being without my Focus for a week now (I’m supposed to get it back later today) I still think that I made the right decision. All of the twin clutch designs have their issues. Around 75K+ vehicles have been recalled since the 2008 model year due to the issues with the VW DSG and while it seems they've been able to work out most of the bugs in recent years, there are still issues.

The fact of the matter is that I wasn't looking to spend more on oil changes and an extra $400 every 30K mi. just to have the VW 6-speed wet clutch system serviced and (although my finances would have certainly permitted it) I didn’t want to fork over another $6K for the smaller GTI or similar. While a GTI would have had a little more low-end torque I don’t think that my Focus is necessarily any less fun to drive and based on the mpg I’m getting so far, I’ll most certainly have to stop at a gas pump less often with my Ford. What I would like to see perhaps is a little better warranty coverage on the Ford’s DCT if it is indeed prone to trashing throwout bearings.

All problematic noises aside... you have to think of the Ford Powershift as a manual transmission that you don't have to shift. The car will therefore handle like a manual and sound like one for the most part. I'll know more after I get my car back, but I'm hopeful that as long as I stay on top of this particular issue I'll be happy with my purchase in the long run. My advice is to hang tough and make sure your service guys look for the faulty throwout bearing.

Q1: for Ford... Given that this is a high-labor-cost to low-part-cost issue is there any way to use a more durable replacement part than the stock throwout bearings to save those owners that have had to wait to have it replaced once... will not have to have it done again?

Q2: Is there a directive from Ford (as I've read) to the dealerships to give a stock response for those complaining of transmission noise along the lines of "It's normal, let the transmission break in."? Perhaps this directive should be adjusted to "unless there is a grinding noise indicative of a failing throwout bearing"? New Focus owners (and service techs) are more savvy than that... if it's an issue, let's identify it and fix it together.

#17 ·
(Well, apparently something I included in my first attempt at a followup post incurred the wrath of the Moderators... so here goes again.)

I got my car back yesterday and it's running better than ever. It's still relearning after the TSB update, but it's currently the quietest 2012 Focus that I've driven so far (out of five... we have them at work, too). It now gets from 1st to 3rd gear in a hurry (which suits me just fine... took FOREVER before the service) and it's also very smooth with upshifts and downshifts throughout the entire range. So I hope (fingers crossed) that that's... that.

In short, they replaced the bad throwout bearing and the clutch assembly as well while they were in there. For the benefit of everyone else, here's exactly how they invoiced the parts:

1 AE8Z*7064*A SNAP RING
1 AE8Z*7064*B SNAP RING
8 *W705448*S441 NUT
1 BV6Z*7A508*A CYLINDER ASY - CLUTCH SLAVE (the throwout bearing)
1 BV6Z*7B546*B CLUTCH ASY (the clutch - it was kinda toasty)
2 XT*11*QDC FLUID - TRANSMISSION

Feel free to ask me questions.

Tarzanalog

P.S. Thanks to Noemi (on this forum), Rick (Ford's regional customer service manager that called me), and most of all to Ken Reimers and Bill Smith at Lindquist Ford for taking the time to go the extra mile to make this right.

#18 ·
(Well, apparently something I included in my first attempt at a followup post incurred the wrath of the Moderators... so here goes again.)
I got my car back yesterday and it's running better than ever. It's still relearning after the TSB update, but it's currently the quietest 2012 Focus that I've driven so far (out of five... we have them at work, too). ........
Feel free to ask me questions.
P.S. Thanks to Noemi (on this forum), Rick (Ford's regional customer service manager that called me), and most of all to Ken Reimers and Bill Smith at Lindquist Ford for taking the time to go the extra mile to make this right.
Hi Tarzanalog,

Excellent to hear! I will relay the message to my fellow partners, Rick, Ken and Bill.

Take care and let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Noemi

#19 ·
Noemi (or anyone),

Mostly just a Q: about the adaptive transmission, but since the flash to bring it up to date (and my transmission service)... my Focus started out shifting in the lower gears at lower RPMs (which I prefer) but has gradually adjusted to shifting at around 3,000 RPMs. Perhaps I could understand this if I were a street racer, but I'm not... I'm 40 and I bought the car for the gas mileage and have to think that it'd be getting better MPGs if it would consistently shift at lower RPMs, no? Even using the Select Shift it is reluctant to shift below 2,000 RPMs. Is this normal? Is there a setting that my dealer can toggle in the software to get it to maximize shifting for MPGs?

#21 ·
Depends on how you look at it. It's a tiny 4 cylinder engine, it doesn't make torque down low.

While accelerating, if you can keep the engine in the low end of the torque band, you'll have the best efficiency.

Shifting at 3000 should put you at around 2200-2500 after the shift and that would be the low end of the torque curve.

Anything below that, for acceleration, and you're really overworking it out of it's torque curve.

I've found I get the best mileage out of my 2.0 Duratec in 11 Focus if I keep the revs between 2000 and 3000.

#20 ·
Thanks for everyone's posts. I surely didn't mean to abandon the post. Since my original post, Ford found that my transmission fluid was full of metal (bad news). So, they replaced the entire transmission. Well, I've been driving it for a couple of days and it sounds just like it did when I bought it. That is slightly better than the grinding evidenced in my video which was after I had driven it for about 6 months, but I think I'm back at square one. It has to be something in the way the computer is controlling the transmission. I fear it's just going to get worse again. I will be issuing a written notice offering a final attempt to repair under the Georgia Lemon Law. We'll see what happens.

This really sucks, because apart from the noise, which is causing damage to the transmission, I really like the car and love the fuel economy.

#22 ·
... which I would like to do also, but its shift point is anything BUT consistent. It's 500 miles now since they replaced the clutch and throwout bearing and I would think that it would have learned by now how I drive (which is fairly conservative... just short of being a hyper-miler) and it frequently shifts at 4000 rpm which I don't think it should EVER do based on my driving habits.

What's worse is I'm getting a rattling/grinding noise again periodically when it DOES shift at lower RPM but unlike before the repair (and in your video Tiburon) when it would grind at the moment of the shift... now it's a rattle or rock-tumbler noise after the shift at lower RPM as the higher gearing is trying to take over. I'm going to wait another week, but if it is getting worse at that point I'm going to turn it back over to my dealer to tinker with for the two weeks that I'm abroad when it won't be driven much.

#24 ·
Hard to tell... best to have a Ford tech investigate. I drove mine for only a couple of weeks with it making the noise as in Tiburon's video and it was bad enough to replace the clutch along with the throwout bearing when they dug into it... and that was at 700mi. for me.

Mine now also has a windshield creaking noise (since I got it back) that seems to be getting worse. At first I thought that it was just because of the cold weather, but it didn't have it when I first bought it Jan. 3 (colder than now) or in the month leading up to the repair work (that I could tell, there were other more pressing noises to deal with). I'm making a laundry list of things for them to look at later this week when I'm going to take it back in.

The new (but familiar) noise I described in post #22 of this thread now only appears infrequently but if I've been driving the car around town for awhile with frequent up/down shifting it'll do it on downshifts as well as when taking off from a stop. Still more of a shudder after the shift than a grinding like it's trying to get into gear. It was doing it so bad one day that I was contemplating dropping what I was doing and heading right to the dealer but then out of nowhere it just stopped... almost as if something fell off the car or something. Crazy. So now I feel like I need to ask them to look for something that might just flat out be missing. They're gonna think I'm crazy.

What's frustrating is that a key selling point of the 2012 Focus for me was the technology stuff that I'm currently not able to enjoy since I drive around with everything off (including the blower motor when I can) just listening for extraneous noises. Sigh.

#25 ·
Wow. My car makes the exact noise as in the video.

I've scheduled an appointment at the dealer tomorrow for an unrelated issue (the door pillars were scratched in transport) so I will have them look at that.

Love the car so I hope this isn't as bad an issue as it seems.

#26 ·
Wow. My car makes the exact noise as in the video.
I've scheduled an appointment at the dealer tomorrow for an unrelated issue (the door pillars were scratched in transport) so I will have them look at that.
Love the car so I hope this isn't as bad an issue as it seems.
Hey JCinKY,

Congratulations on your Focus and [welcome] to the forum.

If you need further assistance, send a PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal and dealer contact info and I'll contact the Customer Service Manger on your behalf. Keep me posted on the dealership visit. [:)]

Thanks,

Noemi

#29 ·
Took the car in Monday and called to check up on it Tuesday afternoon. The techs were unable to duplicate the issue. I'm not sure what to do next as I know I had the exact sound as in this video.

Guess if they cannot duplicate it tomorrow I will get it back and take a record of when my car starts doing it and when it stops.

#31 ·
Took the car in Monday and called to check up on it Tuesday afternoon. The techs were unable to duplicate the issue...
Hello again JCinKY

The offer to escalate the concern to the Customer Service Manager is available if the grinding rears its head again. [:)] To begin the process, I will need a PM with the VIN, current mileage, phone number and dealer information.

I purchased a 2012 Focus SE 10 days ago and the grinding noise started around 200mi. My car is in the shop and the Ford Service Director confirmed the noise today. The initial response from the Service Advisor was "Ford indicates this is normal until the break-in period after 5K mi"...
Hi sunny,

Congratulations on the Focus!

There is a break-in period of 1000 miles as stated in the Owner Guide on page 5. Therefore, give the Focus some time to smooth out. If after the break-in period the issue escalates, I’m available to help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to lend a hand, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and the VIN.

Thanks,

Noemi

#30 ·
Same grinding noise

I purchased a 2012 Focus SE 10 days ago and the grinding noise started around 200mi. My car is in the shop and the Ford Service Director confirmed the noise today. The initial response from the Service Advisor was "Ford indicates this is normal until the break-in period after 5K mi." I had to escalated to the dealership for assistance. Next step is for me to drive with the Service Director to make sure we're hearing the same noise. I'm concerned they'll come back and provide the same standard response. This is my first Ford product and I feel like I've got a dud (lemon). I hope Ford can restore my confidence promptly.

#32 ·
My 2012 Focus has spent a total of 26 days in the shop in the last 2 months. The first trip in the service people and engineers acknowledged the grinding noise in the tranny. They pulled the tranny and replaced the clutch, bearing and a few other gadgets. that didnt work so they pulled the tranny again and replaced some more parts. They worked on the software because the car had an erratic idle at low speeds. After 2 weeks we returned to the service dept with same issues plus the car has decided to shut down several times for no apparent reason ( each time while driving thru bussy intersections, a major safety issue). This time Ford replaced the tranny, wiped all the software clean and reflashed the software. The shifting is much improved but after a few hundred miles the grinding is starting back up going from first to second gear. I guess i will be back at the service dept before to long. The Ford customer service person that has contacted me on several occasions told me that Ford refuses to lemon law or buyback these cars because all Ford is required to do is honor the warranty. When I brought up the safety issues he basically blew that off as a non issue. Ford knows that the lemon law protects them more than the consumer. The break in period excuse for the clutches helps add miles to your car. Per the lemon law the value of your car is reduced based on the miles on your car, more miles less value. By the time it all takes effect you are going to loose money and Ford knows that. For my own satisfaction after consulting with an attorney I have a certified letter stating my complaint as to the safety of my car. I have all the paperwork from the dealership involved and the dates and times that I recieved calls from the Ford customer service person named Rob that heard my safety complaint attached to that certfied letter. If something bad happens and it is proven to be a safety issue with my car Ford will be held accountable. My hope is that no one else has to deal with these issues and stays away from the purchase of a 2012 Focus. Looks are decieving the car looks sharp, it rides well, it handles well but is extreamly unreliable. For as long as my Focus is in my possession it will be my advertisment as to why not to purchase a 2012 Focus.

#33 ·
That stinks westgadawg. I don't think you really needed a lawyer though. I find this a lot now due to online searches that tend to bring up attorney reference sites rather than state resource sites. I had the exact same problem with USCIS- if you get on USCIS.gov, you're on a government site, but USCIS.org and .com are attorney reference sites where you can learn a bunch of BS told to you by attorneys who want you to pay $6k+ for services to fill out government forms.

Here's the state site complete with FAQ and links. I would get on it ASAP. There is a time limit. There's no reason why you can't be reimbursed for finance charges as that is listed in the statutes. Even the federal law is written "full purchase price". Now if I was a dealer rep, I wouldn't be telling you that. I would be hinting in other directions.

As far as lawyers go, I wouldn't just take their word for it. I have a friend who is in a property dispute. The lawyer told him he'd hear back in Nov. In Jan, he called to see why there was no ruling and the idiot told him that he hadn't even filed the paper yet. He lost that year's income in crop thanks to a lawyer who lost a paper, and he had to pay the lawyer too. Having a lawyer will not always protect you. In your case, if you go over that 2 year or 24k mile marker, you might as well forget it no matter what your lawyer says. The good thing is that you're only 4 down days away from meeting the federal statute. If your lawyer wants to do something for you then the idiot should be making a case to get you reimbursed not only for the vehicle, but for the days off work, or what you had to pay for supplemental transportation.

If enough people have the balls to stick it through, then someone at Ford will realize that somewhere along the line a bean counter decided to put cheaper parts in an excellent design, and thus made the percentage of failures higher. That is my opinion on what happened since the design itself won many engineering awards, and was apparently brilliant. Ford did the exact same thing with the AOD: excellent design on paper, cheap parts to save a buck in manufacturing made it unreliable. Ford is like the US govt when it comes to "police actions", still learning the same lesson over and over again.

#34 ·
FWIW, if reliability is your main concern, you should ALWAYS buy a vehicle near the end of it's "life cycle" - just B4 a new model comes out & AFTER all the "issues" that cropped up in miles of real world experience have been addressed....

Being "first on the block" with a great new piece of technology can be wonderful, it also can be a pain as issues crop up & are worked out....

"Brand New" & "Old Clunker" are both things to stay away from...

IMHO, "automated manuals" of various types are going to replace "automatics" of all sorts as time goes on for most applications, just as "direct injection" is going to replace the current std. types of fuel injection. BOTH are more efficient & have been "proven" in high performance (race) applications, but there WILL be "teething troubles" as the technology is adapted for everyday use & mass production.

The "break in" period for the clutches, and the "learning curve" for the software are both REAL issues that effect the performance & "feel" of the unit, so they're NOT "playing games with you" on that score. The poor customer relations skills of some dealer people you have dealt with are another matter....

"working through the process" when dealing with warranty issues can be a REAL pain, but the LESS confrontation involved, the MORE that a dealer or manufacturer's rep. can do for you... Hard to remember when you're upset over an issue, but it DOES pay off...

Once "legal action" gets threatened, the process comes to a near halt, as EVERYTHING is then carefully documented & only the minimum legal obligations (as opposed to "good will" adjustments) are carried out...

Sorry you seem to have gotten one with MORE than the "usual" share of new car issues, hope some of these comments help you deal with it!

Having been on both sides of warranty claim issues, I've learned that being careful in what you say & "picking your battles" tends to pay off... Some Dealers aren't the best (to say the least), the Manufacturer's rep. is your best friend in these cases - treat THEM well & they'll do all in their power to help you...

Luck!

#35 ·
FWIW, if reliability is your main concern, you should ALWAYS buy a vehicle near the end of it's "life cycle" - just B4 a new model comes out & AFTER all the "issues" that cropped up in miles of real world experience have been addressed....

Being "first on the block" with a great new piece of technology can be wonderful, it also can be a pain as issues crop up & are worked out....

"Brand New" & "Old Clunker" are both things to stay away from...

IMHO, "automated manuals" of various types are going to replace "automatics" of all sorts as time goes on for most applications, just as "direct injection" is going to replace the current std. types of fuel injection. BOTH are more efficient & have been "proven" in high performance (race) applications, but there WILL be "teething troubles" as the technology is adapted for everyday use & mass production.

The "break in" period for the clutches, and the "learning curve" for the software are both REAL issues that effect the performance & "feel" of the unit, so they're NOT "playing games with you" on that score. The poor customer relations skills of some dealer people you have dealt with are another matter....

"working through the process" when dealing with warranty issues can be a REAL pain, but the LESS confrontation involved, the MORE that a dealer or manufacturer's rep. can do for you... Hard to remember when you're upset over an issue, but it DOES pay off...

Once "legal action" gets threatened, the process comes to a near halt, as EVERYTHING is then carefully documented & only the minimum legal obligations (as opposed to "good will" adjustments) are carried out...

Sorry you seem to have gotten one with MORE than the "usual" share of new car issues, hope some of these comments help you deal with it!

Having been on both sides of warranty claim issues, I've learned that being careful in what you say & "picking your battles" tends to pay off... Some Dealers aren't the best (to say the least), the Manufacturer's rep. is your best friend in these cases - treat THEM well & they'll do all in their power to help you...

Luck!

#38 ·
Awesome post, thanks!

And I have read up on the "breaking in" period in the past, so I wonder if my own concerns are premature. I just wasn't expecting an issue between shifts, only while running in a specific gear. Maybe I wasn't thinking fully... this is a new design to me. But I'd rather not have my car taken apart on such a whim; if this is the breaking-in period, and that might be the case, then I'm cool with it... though after it gets to gear 3 there are definitely no rough gear shifts, and you ARE right on the breaking-in period, DCT, and direct injection... (to say nothing of the legal issues you are warning him and all about!! [eek] That's very picky stuff and there's no reason to go there, based on everything that currently exists on this technology and what's said in the manual...)

#39 ·
Originally Posted by mattymings

From my experience so far most of the service people working for Ford have hearing issues. What they cant hear everyone else including your passengers and people outside the car have no problem hearing the tranny. Let me say, I can live with the fact that this type tranny doesnt operate the way a normal automatic does. Its the grinding noise that everyone hears that i'm sick of. Ford counts on the fact that with most of the Focus's the grinding and or shutter doesnt show up till about 500 miles by that time the car is yours. When my car was just purchased it didn't show up till around 500 miles and after the first tranny rebuild it took about 400 miles for the grinding to return now with a new replaced tranny we went about 500 miles when ir starting to show up again. I've stopped by a couple Ford dealerships other than my own to do some shopping. I was shopping for a new Ford Focus, its amazing that when I asked at both dealerships the sales people knew nothing of tranny issues and they knew nothing of break-in periods for the clutches. The service people at my dealership know nothing of a clutch break-in period. I've had many people stop and comment on how awesome this car looks and it is awesome looking. I love driving the car it handles like a dream once you get past 3rd gear. But stop and go driving is a different story, the clutch dragging and grinding, the erractic idle that Ford cant seem to get corrected. My software has been reprogrammed twice but its back again. All of this makes for an unsafe slow drive. Until Ford decides to build these tranny's with quality parts it will continue to be an issue. Ford is hoping the tranny issue will go away but as we see here on this site even the cars that have been recent purchases are developing the same tranny issues. As I have said before as long as this car is in my possession I can not in good faith recomend that anyone spend their hard earned money on this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.