Focus Fanatics Forum banner

PTS Remote start from OEM Fob

28K views 106 replies 27 participants last post by  travr6 
#1 ·
Well just wanted to let everyone know that I have installed a remote start in my Titanium with push to start that works off the factory key fob.

The installation does not require any additional keys or dealer scan tools. Although I do this for a living, I did install this (soldering all wires) in under 1 hour.

Here is the link to the hardware required to do it all.

http://www.idatalink.com/firmware/firmware/firmware_family_id/109/product_id/1/vehicle_make_id/12/vehicle_year_id/2012/vehicle_model_id/63/package_type/0/vehicle_id/8764

It is currently raining so this is what I have to show for now, I will try to make a better video showing all the install tomorrow if I have a chance.

#14 ·
Yes. The ADS-Al CA is the module I used. They are programmable to do almost any car on the market depending on the firmware you load into it. The downside with this particular firmware is that you have to do a 2 part programming. First hook up all the wires then program it for step one. Plug it back into the car then proceed. What it essentially does is copy the key information the first time you turn the ignition on then you have to remove it, plug it back into the computer and continue to program for step 2. Second step essentially checks the CAN network in the car to make sure that it is reading the car correctly.

The part you need to be able to flash the unit is ADS-USB

#18 ·
Car starter shop? Not sure what that is. If a person ordered this from the link in my other post and they claim to do the programming for you, would this work? Do you have to wire, hook up, then unhook and program. I think you said that the box learns the car on that initial turn on but if this is the case I am wondering why they would advertise they would program your car for you.

Looking forward to the install video as this has really got me interested, especially for the price.

#20 ·
In most cars you do not need to do a 2 step programming so they can simply program the unit on their end and send it to you. In the case for the focus it goes like so.

1. Program part one on computer
2. Plug into car turn ignition on (light on box flashes rapidly and stays that way)
3. Remove box from car plug back into computer and program for part 2
4. Plug back into car and turn ignition back on, wait and light will go solid green.
5 Done.

And yes the factory ford one is a POS they use and extra key in a box. I seen the diagram when I first got my car and refused to do it. The diagram from Idatalink is doing exactly what you would do to start the car 1. shows the key present, holds the brake, hits the start button, lets go of brake. The benefit of this is when the dealer plugs in with the scan tool there will be no codes present from modules not being power up properly.

#21 ·
So, can we get this part to do the programming and do your really have to be a business to get online and do so? If I ordered from the link I provided, would you get them to do the progamming for the first part or just do it all yourself, assuming I can get what I need?

#22 ·
You could have them do the first part at Sonicelectronix. Make sure you specify for them to use DBI-AL(RS)-FM4 Firmware. Then take the unit to a local shop to finish the second part of the programming.

Im sure you could fake some credentials to get an online login, as there was a option for freelance installer as part of the registeration form.

#29 ·
Yup thats all you need, no relays, nothing. And you are correct it is triggering the cars start circut.

You will however need their flashlink module to program the unit for a PTS Focus and will need to register on the site to be able to program it.

#30 ·
I've been looking at getting a remote started for my 2012 titanium and it would be cool to avoid the extra fob.

What's the difference between ADS and DBI? Is it hard to access the module behind the glovebox and do you think anyone can install it (I have quite a bit soldering experience but not on cars)?

#31 ·
DBI and ADS are protocols that allows the bypass module (al ca) to talk to remote car starters such as viper with a data cable. For instance it will tell the Starter that the brake has been pressed or that the door or hood is open without physically hooking up wires between the two units.

#32 ·
Since I'm not sure how to edit the original post as edit button isn't showing up on it. I decided to make a new video showing the remote start. If i get a chance this week I will remove the glove box and show all the connections to help anyone out with the Install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.