Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Ball Joint / Knuckle Pinch bolt?

28K views 45 replies 15 participants last post by  BMFBOOGEYMAN2010 
#1 · (Edited)
While back had some issues with lower control arm pinch style bolt for ball joint broke. Bought a new bolt/nut and lock washer from auto zone. Held it for a while.. Till today... Is there a part # for the bolt?

Best Picture I could find of bolt. Bolt directly above ball joint heat shield.

See less See more
#3 ·
You're really lucky that it happened in the driveway!

You have to use a Ford pinch bolt, the gray one is OEM and the black is what's usually found in some aftermarket ball joint kits. See how the OEM is fatter on the non threaded part, it's critical for keeping things together.

I had the part number for the bolt, but I can't find it right now.

#9 ·
I ordered mine from Steve at tousley ford. No local dealers in Chicago carried that part at all. I was surprised. The one that could order it said I had to order a set because he couldn't just order just one. Cheaper to get shipped on mn.

#30 ·
Same thing man learn metric & SAE although metric is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy easier......for suspension parts always use a grade 8 bolt aka 10.9 in metric

.....Thats Grade 8 in Metric in SAE it would be 6 lines on the head of the bolt

grade 5 in Metric is 8.8 and 3 lines on the head for SAE

#28 ·
I had posted the other pinch bolt thread recently, I replaced a complete lower control arm/ball joint combo due to it being easier than trying to drill the rivots out. I planned on using the aftermarket bolt supplied with the part but now I will do so otherwise. I hear alot of people talk about Steve at Tousley Ford and he seems like he knows whats up. Anybody have a direct phone number to get ahold of him?

#32 ·
Ok for those that were not listening:

The ball joint pinch bolt is a shouldered bolt. The "shoulder" is a larger diameter than the threaded portion.

It is the shoulder that secures the ball joint from dropping out of the knuckle by fitting snugly in the groove on the ball joint.

An impropper bolt can allow the ball joint to drop out, and is DANGEROUS!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.