Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Installing Heated Mirrors

106K views 180 replies 40 participants last post by  D*2.3 
#1 ·
Our SE didn't come with Heated Mirrors or Cruise Control (that will be another post). I would like to add the heated mirrors. Will it be Plug and Play? Can anyone recommend an online source to purchase factory heated mirrors? I assume that I will have to purchase complete units that will come prewired. It might be nice if they also came with the turn signals in the mirror housings.

#3 ·
Heated mirrors are with the winter package, cruise control with the convenience package. Didn't you check what packages and options your car included before signing the papers - sounds like it was a surprise? I have no idea how you would install them after market, sorry - but if you feel the car was misrepresented your best bet may be negotiating with the dealer. In most states cars are not considered "used" until over 3000 miles so your dealer may have some leeway to get you the car you really want.

#4 ·
I'm actually looking to get the heated mirrors now, too. The reason being that winter *just* started and until now I've had no idea of the almost need I have.

The reason is this car has *great* aerodynamics. The problem with that is that no wind ever touches the backside of the mirrors...so any moisture or melted ice just sits there, untouched. Most cars, when you drive certain speeds, kind of clear that stuff away on their own. The reason I didn't buy the heated mirrors is because I didn't think I'd need it, since I had no way of knowing that's how this car was until now.

#5 ·
I will relate this story for what it's worth. When we were shopping, we found a car on the lot that fit our needs, except it lacked the winter package. The dealer offered to install the package, but said they could not do the heated mirrors. I do not know the reason why, and I was not interested in having a brand new car torn apart to install the options anyway so I did not press him on the issue.

#6 ·
I see, it sounded more like you thought it had the heated mirrors when you bought it but then found out no. I imagine it would be difficult because the heated mirrors go on with the rear defroster, so the wiring has to go all the way in to the center console. Maybe you can try cleaning the mirrors and apply no-fog or rainX or something?

http://www.amazon.com/JAWS-Spit-Anti-fog-1-oz/dp/B000GGCLIC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1324016085&sr=8-8

http://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-AF21212-Anti-Fog/dp/B0009H5W5W/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1324015989&sr=8-8

#7 ·
Before Buying Parts check if the wiring is present. Dealer shoul be able to help u.
These cars do not have standard wiring. I wanted to get the subwoofer for mine but the dealer says that the wiring is not present. Nothing can do exept go aftermarket.

#8 ·
Any news on this? I've never needed heated mirrors either, but this is the first car i've ever had where nothing is leaves the mirrors no matter how fast you go.

Does anybody know where the wires for heated mirrors terminate on cars that don't have this option? Are they in the mirror? The door?

#9 ·
I installed signal mirrors in my F150 just by tapping into the turn signal circuit. Sounds to me that if you find the wires feeding the rear defrost, the rest should fall into place. Source just the mirror glass with the heat elements attached and some wire and plastic flex conduit. Damn, that'll be my next project..lol

#10 ·
I am looking into doing this to my car as well, I work at a ford dealer in the parts dept, so tomorrow i'll look at our catalog and see if they show different wiring harness for cars with and without heated/turn signals mirrors. I'm almost willing to bet that they didn't use multiple harness for these cars so I bet the cars are already wired for and it would be plug and play. Another way to check is to pull your mirror off and see how many wires are going on the pigtail going to the mirror and then see how many connectors there are in the socket it plugs into. Example: pigtail may have 6 wires and socket may have only 3. so there for the other 3 wires can be your heated and turn signals.

I know a guy at work had a bought a 12 F150 and didn't have heated nor signals, and he bought OEM trailer mirrors with heat/signals. And he plugged them in and they work with no additional wiring

#13 ·
I looked up the harness in the catalog and it appeared to only have one harness. If I'm able to swing it ill see of we have a signal/heat mirror in stock and ill try plugging it in to see.

#14 ·
So now that we have determined it might work. Does anyone know how to removed the color cap from the mirror? The new ones come painted black, but i want my Blue Candy caps on mine. The parts diagram on Rock auto look like they might just snap on and off.

#15 ·
They do just snap on and off. They are a pain the rear to remove. There are clips that you have to lift to get it off with out breaking it. Sometimes the mirror pops out and it makes it really easy, sometimes not lol. If you are going from non signal mirrors to signal mirrors you have to buy new caps because signals has a cut out for the signal.

#20 ·
Do did anyone confirm if the wiring for the heated mirrors is actually present in the mirror? Just a matter of replacing the stock mirror pieces for the heated ones and plugging the wires onto it?

#21 ·
Even if the car doesn't have a dedicated harness, it shouldn't be too difficult to splice into the rear defrost circuit. I already have power in the mirrors for the signals, just need to purchase new mirror glass and follow the same wire path as the signal wiring to each mirror. At least it sounds good when I type it...lol.

btw: Does anybody have the wiring diagram for the rear window defrost circuit?

#23 ·
I haven't been able to get a diagram, but I did pull off some of the interior trim and pulled the connectors. So I have just the basic mirrors, and on the LH side my harness has 6 wires and my mirror only has 3 terminals and the RH side is 8 wires for only 5 terminals. So that's 3 extra wires, and if I had to guess ones for signal, another for heat, and the final one for puddle light. So I'm almost positive our cars are prewired. We only had the standard mirror in stock so I'm ordering one in so I can test it out.

#27 ·
I'm In the same place. I would love to have the heated mirrors on my car as I had no idea how much snow and ice would plant itself to the mirrors. I really hope this is a fairly inexpensive and easy mod. [cheers]

#29 ·
So today I've made a break through, I was able to hook at a mirror that was signal only to my car and behold it works!! It's prewired for signals at least, I have a mirror thats signal/heat/puddle coming in wednesday hopefully. So then I'll be able to tell if it all works, and I'd be pretty positive it will!!

#30 ·
So what parts are needed exactly for this to work, assuming it does?

and how much do they cost?

I have just the turn signals on mine and would love to get heated mirrors for it, if it is reasonable to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.