Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Front strut assembly help needed ASAP

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  PhilNg1 
#1 ·
This is the first time I've encountered this. My front passenger strut top mount has stripped itself out of the mount.

I've tried earlier this weekend to remove and replace but couldn't get it out (the whole assembly). I was kind of figuring since the strut isn't held up by the top mount would I be able to use some spring compressors to take the tension off to remove it?

Any and all help would be appreciated. Don't have a garage full of tools and trying to accomplish this on the street. I could use the help. My only free time is after work so trying to save money and time. Don't want to go to a shop.

#6 ·
It's unclear to me what you are trying to do. To remove the strut assembly you must remove the three top mount nuts first. You do not remove the center strut shaft nut until the whole assembly (strut, spring, mount and bearing) has been removed fully assembled. Removing the center nut while the strut is still installed is a recipe for disaster.

#7 ·
Okay to clear things up.......

The center strut mounting plate has been stripped out. The strut itself is flopping loose around inside the SPRING with the car's weight off the WHOLE ASSEMBLY. When I tried earlier to remove. The tension from the spring would not let the assembly come loose from the steering knuckle.

If I put spring compressors on the spring to relieve the tension, will I be able to remove the assembly that way?

#8 ·
If I put spring compressors on the spring to relieve the tension, will I be able to remove the assembly that way?
If I understand the situation correctly, yes, you need to get the spring compressed. It's the only way to release the tension on the strut since the upper mount can no longer retain the spring. You're going to have to be creative as I expect its going to be difficult removing the strut assembly with the compressors attached. I thinking out loud here so bear with me, you might have to compress the spring, release the lower part of the strut from the knuckle, then undo the center nut and slide the strut out through the spring first, then unbolt the three nuts holding the mount and bearing and remove it.

#12 ·
I know I’m WAAAAYYYYY Late on this one, but is this a common issue among ‘00+ focuses? I’ve had strut mount failure on the right (passenger) side three times. Once the piston bore through, the other two times the welded cups the piston rod sits in separated.
I’m not sure if it is a quality issue. it happened twice with Unity complete struts and a duralast mount which I had replaced on one of the unity struts. I just replaced with a moog mount. But I’m thinking of replacing both with Moog complete struts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.