Focus Fanatics Forum banner

seventystangfan's '02 ZX3 Build

13K views 91 replies 18 participants last post by  02fordsvt 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is my newly bought 2002 Focus ZX3 ZETEC 5-speed. I got this car 10-16-2012. I was able to trade my previous car, a 1997 Explorer Sport 4x4, evenly. The main reason for this trade was of course the fuel milage (14-15 MPG vs 30+ MPG.) I'm sure this difference in MPG would be much greater were I a nicer driver ;)

So, basic info...
2002 ZX3
150,000 miles
2.0 ZETEC 5-speed manual
Cloth seats, cruise, manual windows and locks, baseline Focus model.

As of October 23, 2012 I have changed oil and filter, air filter, replaced the sway bar link the previous owner did not (this previous one was twisted) and 2 tires.
I have found out that it needs both struts on the front replaced, a rear bushing that requires the whole assembly be replaced, and that its current wheels are kinda poopy. They have extreme curb rash and also don't balance well. So my first "mods" persay will be the struts, that bushing assembly, and hopefully wheels. I've put pictures of the wheels on here, let me know your opinion on them...

After these things I would love to do a CAI, tinted lights, a shortie antenna, weight reduction, possibly new seats, and some body repairs, and whatever else I find on the forum [wrenchin]

Link to photo album- https://picasaweb.google.com/102357047641679046925/FocusPics?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPrN9Zr_zKvC3gE&feat=directlink

See less See more
#28 ·
Yeah, these current wheels are kinda depressing me. I have a weird noise coming from the front. It goes like this- whenever I brake semi-hard (usually while approaching a corner) the front driver side of the car makes a medium pitched grinding noise. It also happens when I hit a bump in the road at speeds>30mph. Anyone have an idea on what this could be?

#31 ·
So, I'm definitely looking forward to working on this car. I've reorganized my to do list in order of what will probably get done. After the SVT header I'm thinking about getting an SCT tuner, but I'm hazy on the details. So there are experts that will take your diagnostics and create a tune for it? That's pretty awesome.

#33 ·
Well, soon I need to get an alignment. I'll also have my new HU installed on Christmas, maybe sooner. I'm going to price a new fender, fender liner, and driver door, the driver side has slight collision damage and it doesn't close right. After this money will be saved up for the SVT header swap and maybe an Iceman intake.

I just went down to Rockwall, TX with my brother to pick up his '09 GTi. I got to drive it all the way back and gosh I'm having turbo envy. The immediate turbo hit when you gun it and that noise that comes shortly after is incredible. So... after these other things I'll be looking at rebuilding this engine or building one on a stand and swapping it in when it's done.

#34 ·
Yess i have the turbo bug. And i agree, i want to build a separate engine and swap when it's done. Then FSWerks stage 2 turbo.

But back to your car! I never really heard much about the Iceman intake. Supposedly it's good; but the stock SVT intake is arguably the best intake for our cars.

What kind of headunit did you get?

#35 ·
I mostly like the look of the Iceman. I'll get whatever I can get my hands on.

I'll be getting on of these: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDX50BT/JVC-KD-X50BT.html?tp=5684
I chose to get a digital media receiver just because I'll only be using my phone and iPod as audio sources, my cds always get ruined when I have them in my car.

#37 ·
Originally I was going to hold off and do a double din or a carputer, but then I remembered how much I would rather do other mods with that money!

On a side note, I'm thinking about going to FocusFest 2013. It's not too far of a drive and it would be pretty awesome to see all this stuff in person.

#39 ·
This!

You got some great plans! I want to start building an engine too, but I keep buying other stuff that prevents me from finishing the stuff I already started lol Do you have a pic of the iceman? I have heard a lot about it, but never seen one.

#42 · (Edited)
So, aside from completely ticked this morning at that sight, I've got some new picks to show!

I "shortened" my antenna. I found the right thread nut and decided to give it a shot. So far I haven't had any problems with reception, and it doesn't flop against my roof anymore.

Also, I decided to do some closeups on the paint/body damage that was there prior to the incident today.
  1. Bad front bumper
  2. light driver side fender damage
  3. light driver door damage
  4. rear hatch issues
  5. bad headliner

Pic of fire extinguisher

Here you can see the residue of some oil burning out of the valve cover. I need to get this fixed after I get my trailing arm bushing replaced.

Definitely loving this forum! [ffrocks]
It does leave me with a lot of ideas and a lot less money though[mecry]

#47 ·
Your fire extinguisher pic is not working but fixed

I like that placement!

Sucks about the damage hope you get it all fixed
Ouch. That basketball hoop accident sucks.

I had the same style crack in my hatch trim piece when I bought my car. The piece is bolted on right behind that spot so it must get a lot of tension behind there causing the crack. I got a replacement from a salvage yard and paint matched it for my car. You could probably find a prematch painted piece for your car if you can find a silver 1.5 generation Focus at a salvage yard.
Thanks pyro! I'll get it fixed, I'm hoping before FocusFest 2013...

And Bryan, the junkyard is looking better every day! [neener]
I'm afraid that when I go I'll find an SVT donor car and I'll see too many parts I can't buy! But I know someone who knows a good Focus yard and we're finally getting a Pick-n-Pull here in Springfield. Just waiting for a good paycheck now!

#44 ·
Ouch. That basketball hoop accident sucks.

I had the same style crack in my hatch trim piece when I bought my car. The piece is bolted on right behind that spot so it must get a lot of tension behind there causing the crack. I got a replacement from a salvage yard and paint matched it for my car. You could probably find a prematch painted piece for your car if you can find a silver 1.5 generation Focus at a salvage yard.

#49 ·
Nice chop! [hihi]

The basketball hoop incident definitely sucks! And the inner driver's door looks really rough, i wonder how that even happened lol!
I like your extinguisher placement as well!

As for the hatch trim - you can really get any from a junk yard if you can find a hatch. Doesn't necessarily matter of the color, it can be painted with Duplicolor. What you have to be careful to is the bolts always snap off the back of those. I designed something to hold it on before my hatch got wrecked.

#52 ·
Update-
I changed the valve cover gasket, I was getting a slight but smelly burning at stops and I could see some oil leaking. Also, after having Nite-Shade for awhile I finally applied it to my taillights. I still need to do the third brake light. Expect at least a few more things before FocusFest 2013, I will be doing everything in my power to make it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.