Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 SEL Trunk Lid Strut Weak

6K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  ChalupaJones 
#1 ·
My 18K miles SEL's trunk lid strut has weakened. Up until recently, the truck lid would pop fully open immediately and hold on the level or on an incline. I was impressed with its function.

While on a recent road trip, I bumped my head while reaching in for my luggage and noticed that the lid was about 4 inches from being fully open. When I closed it to take a load into the room and then returned, it would open to only about 6 inches from fully open. When I pushed the lid up manually, however, it would hold in that position. Later, when I parked in one lot on a not too steep nose up incline, I noted that the trunk lid would only open about half way, and that it would not stay open when I pushed it up - I had to hold it open with one hand to get it above my eye level.

I noted this to the dealer when I got my oil changed last and the tech opened it up once and left it saying it worked fine, no defect, no leak down. I told the service manager that it would often open fine after being left for a time unopened, but when closed and opened again, it would not open fully and I mentioned the incline droop. The manager said that if the part goes back to Ford and they find it okay, they will deny the claim. She would order the part anyway though and call me when it is in. She just called me, the part's in and it will be installed tomorrow morning. Nice work Sandy at The Ford Store.[thumb]

You might want to keep an eye on your Focus trunk lid. BTW, there are helper springs on each side and these are the primary opening force for the trunk lid, assisted by the single strut. There are two types of springs for the Focus, a stronger spring if you have a spoiler installed. I'm thinking that if this happens again, I might just get the stronger springs.[idea]

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
There are two springs, one on each side, and a single strut on the driver's side. It is a sedan. Yes, it's been frigid here in the SF Bay Area, 45 last night. [:)] When I first noticed the condition, it was 87 degrees in early November in Barstow CA.

#6 ·
They replaced the strut with no problems. The trunk now opens fully and holds open - but not as strongly as it did when I first bought it - I was always very impressed with how strongly the trunk lid opened and held. I'm thinking I might wire together three or four of the spring windings on each side to strengthen them.

#8 ·
Is anyone else having this issue? On any slight incline the trunk will not stay fully open for me(1/2 open state). I've been hit in the head a couple times, also on a really windy day I had the trunk fully open and the wind pushed it to about 1/2 open state.

#9 ·
I took mine in with the same issues and they were going to get back with me on the possibility of heaver springs but I never did get any action from the dealer. There are two springs listed for the trunk lid, with and without spoiler. My guess is the with-spoiler springs are stouter due to the extra weight. I might order a set.

In the meantime, I reduced the springs' lengths by about 20% using heavy duty zip-ties to compress them - two ties per spring. I still consider the springs to be weak in the same circumstances you describe, but it is much better.

I'm thinking I might do a complaint to NHTSA - I have bumped my head at least three times.

#11 ·
I think I've used the trunk maybe 1 or 2 times since I got my sedan in December, and I think I've opened it a grand total of 4 times, so I haven't noticed anything abnormal.

I just went outside to test and mine whips open, so much so that there is a bit of a recoil bounce but it stays fully open.

Maybe it was a particular lot od springs that was manufactured poorly.

#15 ·
Does anyone else's sedan experience this issue. I had the hydraulic strut replaced but the issue still remains. Any high winds or slight incline the trunk will not stay all the way up and will close about 3/4's of the way. I have to hold the trunk up all the way just to put things in and take things out.

#16 ·
Weak trunk springs

I have the same problem with my trunk lid. Some days it works great other days it won't stay fully open. Talked with the dealer and they said there were no stiffer springs available. They would look at it and order parts if they find it won't stay up. I'm going to work on my springs and see if it helps before making a service appointment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.