Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2005 ZX4 Headlight issues...backasswards

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  dano126 
#1 ·
Hello, newbie here. My wife just purchased a 2005 Focus ZX4, off ebay, as is. 51K miles. Runs and drives nice...it was involved in a front end collision. We were told no airbag deployment. He did show us pictures of damage. Cosmetically, looks good too...until you look under the hood. All kinds of missing little this and thats. To the headlights, when turned on, normal running position (low beams), Rt. side on low beam, Lt. side on high beam. Engage the brights, its reversed, Rt side high beam, Lt side low beam. Check bulbs, they match numbers (9007's), but different mfg. I'm thinking that when they put the front end back together they got some wiring crossed somewhere.
As far as I can tell, items replaced were both headlight assemblies, grille, bumper, Rt. fender, some other misc. stuff that got crumpled in the accident. Whom ever put it back together, kinda did a half-a$$ed job, enough so it passed highway patrol inspection. I've found other issues, but nothing so far that I can't handle.
If anyone has any suggestions before I start splicing wires, I'd appreciate it. I did try to trace the wiring harness to see if I could find any place where repairs may have been made, but no luck. Also, I thought maybe I could take the plug appart and relocate the pins. (the reason I think that, is on my 05 Expy, replaceing the transfer case shift motor requires you to retain the old plug so you can use it to put the new wires for the replacement motor in it). I was also able to print out a wiring diagram courtesy of my local library. But not being a electronic whiz...pretty much means nothing to me.
Thanks for any help and advice.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like the harness was damaged in the crash and they put a new one on and swapped the pins when they did. I don't know the wire colors. But there are two wires of the three on the harness to the bulb that have to be swapped on the one that's wrong.

#4 ·
I just scanned this out of my Ford Focus 2000 to 2007 Haynes manual , maybe you can print it out or enlarge it . If not and you need something else shoot me a pm and I'll get it to you as soon as I can.

#7 ·
lites are a go!

Thanks to all who responded to my request. I did indeed pull the plug off the back of the assembly and was able to swap the terminals with the use of some aftermarket dental tools.
Now on to finding out how to remove the windshield washer tank!
Thanks again,
dano

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.