Focus Fanatics Forum banner

ideal shift points

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Joseph Baker 
#1 ·
when driving a focus zetec what are the ideal shift points where you would get the most power and torque, 5 1/2, 6, or 6 1/2 grand?

#5 ·
yep no point to twisting it out past 6k unless you have the cams for it. 5500-6000 would probably be ideal. i think shifting right at 5200 (at peak power) might actually be a bit low because when you catch your next gear you are just under the rpm where you are making peakish torque which will make you a bit slower. at least thats how it feels to ME anyway. the opposite is true for pushing rpms out past 6k. after about 5700-5800 rpm the power starts to fall off and while it will put you at a higher rpm making better power in the next gear it is still making you slower in the gear you are currently in. in a race i typically run 1st out to about 6500 because im spinning through 1st gear anyway and i haven't ever been able to make up any time by snagging 2nd a little sooner. but 2nd-5th i always try to shift right at 5700 rpm. that would probably be best for almost any stock or bolt on focus whether it has been tuned or not. a tune on a bolt on engine wont make that much of a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.