I as well need a solution to my door locking problem. I'm a learning do it yourselfer, and my power lock on the front passenger door of my 2002 se wagon (zetec) stopped working. Prior to breaking, when I unlocked or locked (can't remember which) electronically, there was this awful grinding mechanical sound coming from the door. This happened a couple of random times, then the third time, poof, that was it. My power lock stopped working. The manual lock and door latch function still work. everything but the power lock on that door. So here goes, these are my questions:
- Would it be the door lock actuator going that would cause this
- if so, is there any way it can be repaired easily or would it have to be replaced
- could it be any other problem or would the actuator be the lone possible issue
- I have the door skin off and can't seem to spot it inside the door, is it embedded in the latch mechanism?
- do I have to replace the whole mechanism if it is the actuator
- can anyone post pics so I can see what I'm looking for
I tried to go over wangbungal's step by step instructions but the pictures aren't showing up on this post. Hopefully someone can help me so I don't have to go spend hundreds all for a stupid power lock on one door, especially with the wife nagging on me about how much of a pos my car is when all the problems I've run into so far have been ever so minor and easy fixes. Hopefully this post gets revived soon as I already have the door skin and vapor barrier off and its winter (I'm sure she'll never let me hear the end of it once she sees that lol). If not, I'll just wait till someone shows up on here to help.
Thanks a ton guys. Keep on focusing!