Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Life Expectancy (Miles) of the Ford Focus?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 28,405, Level 99
Points: 28,405, Level: 99 Points: 28,405, Level: 99 Points: 28,405, Level: 99
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I didn't really have to do anything to the ZXW until the axles went out. I'm approaching 150k, and I expect that the factory clutch will go within the next 25k. The only mechanical issue I have that's not wear related like the clutch is the tumble flaps. Tumble flaps are little flaps that close off the intake runners according to throttle position and engine speed to provide more torque on the low end and more hp on the top end. Sometimes the little bushings on these wear out, and the flaps make a loud clacking noise. It sounds like the worst case of bad valves you've ever heard except that if you put a stethoscope on the valve cover- you get nothing but the whirring of a valve train in proper operation. Put it on the intake, and you'll find your clacking. That's the case with mine. More information to come later when I remove the intake manifold. Tumble flaps are on engines 05+ , and 03-04 PZEV motors. I don't know if there are tumble flaps on 12+ GDI engines or not.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.