Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Paint dilemma

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  FLYLOW 
#1 ·
So my hood is in desperate need of a strip and re-spray. My paint guy isn't 100% that the new red won't be noticeably different from the existing color, and gave me two other options if I wanted to opt for either one...

The first would be doing a black or gunmetal hood. No need to match if it's gonna be a drastically different color right?

The second option would be doing a two-tone scheme on the whole car.

Not sure I'm really hip to doing either one of those, but I've seen a couple examples of nice two-tone cars...any ideas?

Here's my SVT for reference:

Thoughts appreciated...I've got about 3 weeks to pull the trigger on this.

See less See more
#4 ·
Not that your painter isn't a good guy but ah1f39 is right. If you really want it to match find a more experienced painter who has the tools and ability to do so. At least your painter was up front and letting you know it may not come out right. Some would have just painted it and if didn't match just said well thats just how it is.

#5 ·
a good painter would have the existing color scanned and mixed then paint the hood and blend the new paint into the fenders so if there were a slight difference no one but you or a bodyshop would ever know.

cars an 02 with original paint. can you tell front bumper and hood were painted? at different times? thats what happens when someone matches and blends.

#6 ·
Keep the hood red IMO. I had a black hood on my car for a little while and it never looked right. I looked as though I had smashed the original hood and didn't bother getting the right replacement.

#12 ·
i have the same color svt so we prob have the same prob, some areas are dull red other areas are pinkish red. When i repainted my f & r bumpers they looks so red and the rest of the car looked so bad lol! I buffed and polished it and it fixed the prob a bit, but some areas are really bad

can reall tell with pics though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.