Focus Fanatics Forum banner

IMPORTANT: ALL MK3 Focus Owners, I could use your input.

48K views 302 replies 49 participants last post by  FordService 
#1 · (Edited)
IMPORTANT: ALL 2012+ Focus Owners, I need your input. Survey inside.

Alright everyone, I hate to be a bother, but I (and everyone else with the clunk issue) really need your help.

I've been heavily involved in trying to get rid of the suspension clunking issue that plagues the vehicles of many users here (see the master clunk thread HERE), including my own. I've replaced several parts on my own dime, with limited success. However, the noise has always returned.

Recently, a fellow member with a new 2013 Focus (late-August production) brought to light a discrepancy between strut tower braces used on Foci of various production dates. Under my own research, I have found that the updated strut tower brace has been issued different part number (#DV6Z-16A200A)

So, in an effort to hopefully correlate clunking suspensions with specific strut tower versions, I've developed a survey. However, to give you some background before you complete the survey, please view the following:

The following photo is from an early August production Focus ST (FF member: earthling_david, suspension does clunk)

And here is photo from a late-August production 2013 Focus ST. Take note of the reinforcing plate added below the factory strut tower brace that is conspicuously missing from the previous photo. (FocusST.org member: Kragbax, suspension does not clunk)

If your suspension clunks, please complete this survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDRLWE90cEVzcThkUVFjRkIyRVB1Zmc6MA#gid=0

If your suspension doesn't clunk, please complete this survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDRLWE90cEVzcThkUVFjRkIyRVB1Zmc6MA#gid=0

If you completed my old survey, please complete this survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDRLWE90cEVzcThkUVFjRkIyRVB1Zmc6MA#gid=0

Thanks, everyone. Your responses are greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#84 ·
I've even recently toyed with the thought of perhaps a few coats of plastidip on the bottom of the strut brace. [idea]
Or you might want to consider using polyurethane windshield adhesive. It would isolate the 2 parts as well as provide a structural bond.
We use it on our transit window and door products. Awesome stuff.

#85 ·
RTV silicone would probably work just as well, too, and be easier to remove should I ever need to change suspension parts out again. I don't necessarily need the structural element, just the isolation.

I know windshield sealant can be stubborn when it comes time to remove it.

#87 ·
True, I suppose you do have a valid point there.

I was thinking more along the lines for if Koni ever debuts an adjustable sport damper for the MK3 Focus, but in that case, I'd just be drilling a hole straight through the center of the strut brace for the adjustment knob to reach the top of the strut.

#88 ·
Zillon had an idea or suggestion,i use to have an 04 dodge stratus they had a clunking noise on 01 thru 05 sedan model years. they issued a tsb here are the symptoms
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Vehicle produces an intermittent front end popping or clunk type sound while driving over road inputs that cause the body to come under a twisting load. This sound may also be produced when in park & idle by turning the steering wheel quickly, 90 degrees, to the left and back to the right
is this the clunk that everyone has? the clunk was coming from wheel well where it joined firewall fix was putting in two rivets .i have the whole tsb if you think it might help

#90 ·
Yeah I'm pretty sure I could turn the wheel all day and not hear a groan from the suspension but the tires wouldn't like that unless you were moving while turning. However breaks in the pavement definitely excite something in the chassis in a bad way to generate the "clunk" / thud/ rattle/ loud noises.

#91 · (Edited)
Zillion,

Some more data for you: I spoke and checked the Focus of a person that lives near my home.
Sterling grey SEL Flex fuel, hatch back with 16'' wheels
Built June 2012
No thick spacer
According to the owner that does very little usage of her car: No clunks

#92 ·
Just checked my car. I don't have the extra plates, just the sheet metal to the strut tower. I have never heard a clunk in my car, and I have 18" Ti wheels.

#93 ·
Checking back in after I wedged in a keyring-sized shopper card into the gap between my driver's side strut tower and brace.

At first I thought it wasn't working, as I still had some clunking. My first attempt had the card pushed into the front of the gap, with the short end of the card pointing toward the front of the car. More than half of the short card was still visible. But at lunch I popped the hood and pushed the card a bit farther back and filled the driver's side edge of the gap toward the fender (the tightest part of the gap) and upon leaving, voila - no clunk.

Obviously a half day isn't enough, so I'll leave it there for tomorrow as well and report back again.

Zillon - thank you for taking us along on this clunky ride. I have high hopes for your replacement parts. If it works, I suspect quite a few of those parts will start flying off the shelves. [:D]

#94 ·
I'm just glad that everyone's been pretty receptive to working together to find a fix.

I also appreciate the contributions to the survey, and the additional experimenting other than my own. It's all helped to narrow down the exact source of the clunk.

#97 ·
I haven't done the survey yet, however, my car is a 2012 SE, build date 03/19/12. I do NOT have the reinforced brace, however I have not heard any noticeable clunking and the brace seems to fully contact the top of the strut tower at all points.

EDIT: Survey submitted.

#108 ·
Not much has changed from my last breakdown, aside from a few more people (with and without the plates) saying they don't have the clunk.

The real litmus test will be after tomorrow night, when I have a chance to install this bad boy and see if it's all that I've made it out to be.

#110 ·
Happy Birthday Zillion, hope you have a great day and party hardy [thumb]

#112 ·
Alright everyone, I hate to be a bother, but I (and everyone else with this issue) really need your help.

I've been heavily involved in trying to get rid of the suspension clunking issue that plagues the vehicles of many users here (see the master clunk thread HERE), including my own. I've replaced several parts on my own dime, with limited success. However, the noise has always returned.

Recently, a fellow member with a new 2013 Focus (late-August production) brought to light a discrepancy between strut tower braces used on Foci of various production dates. Under my own research, I have found that the updated strut tower brace has been issued different part number (#DV6Z-16A200A)

So, in an effort to hopefully correlate clunking suspensions with specific strut tower versions, I've developed a survey. However, to give you some background before you complete the survey, please view the following:

The following photo is from an early August production Focus ST (FF member: earthling_david, suspension does clunk)

And here is photo from a late-August production 2013 Focus ST. Take note of the reinforcing plate added below the factory strut tower brace that is conspicuously missing from the previous photo. (FocusST.org member: Kragbax, suspension does not clunk)

If your suspension clunks, please complete this survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDRLWE90cEVzcThkUVFjRkIyRVB1Zmc6MA#gid=0

If your suspension doesn't clunk, please complete this survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDRLWE90cEVzcThkUVFjRkIyRVB1Zmc6MA#gid=0

If you completed my old survey, please complete this survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDRLWE90cEVzcThkUVFjRkIyRVB1Zmc6MA#gid=0

Thanks, everyone. Your responses are greatly appreciated!

I did the survey for you this morning..I do hope we can get to the bottom of this clunking noise.. I just don't get it that for 2000 miles it was fine and one day with sterio turned off I hear this noise out of the blue. Hmm things should get quieter over time not louder so I think... can anyone tell me why the standard answer for car issues at the dealer is No Trouble Found! its like they never take the time to really try to fix the issues .. there should be a person at the dealer that researches issues like these and tries all the ideas people come up with. After all it is a process of elimination isnt it... All the old time mechanics that I know will work till their fingers bleed to fix a car, but these days they are appear they are looking at the clock so they don't miss their breaks or they are walking through the show room goofing off.. Sorry that is just what I see, but what do I know about all this suspension stuff I depend this forum and the mechanics to fix my problems..

#113 ·
Well, I can assure you that I'm at least doing what I can to get to the bottom of the issue.

I have the updated strut tower brace ordered, and I should be installing it tonight as long as UPS puts it on the right truck for delivery.

I'll be keeping everyone posted on my developments, and if successful, I'll post a how-to on updating the strut tower brace yourself.

#115 ·
If it fixes the problem when we need to get Ford to reimburse you and fix all our stuff the way you fixed yours.[whip][whip][whip]

#117 ·
They should reimburse you and pay you Engineer pay for your time, since their engineers don't seem to have a F[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]ing clue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.