Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Under dash, driver side, near fuse block, clicking sound

74K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  mooneytunes8 
#1 ·
As the title states I am getting a clicking sound, sounds like a relay or something clicking, it clicks about every 10 seconds or so anytime the key is in the run position, engine running or not. It is on the driver side, under the dash, somewhere around the fuse block. I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is. I have held onto everything I can get my hands on in that area and wait for the sound to see if I can feel it to let me know where exactly it is coming from, but nothing.

Never had this before. Parked it a few days ago, removed instrument cluster (which involved unplugging the rear hatch button and cluster of course), installed a reverse glow gauge face from Speedhut, reconnected the cluster after wiring the inverter for the gauge face to my headlight switch, and then turned key to run position to test things out. This is when the clicking sound started. I thought maybe it had something to do with the rear hatch switch still being disconnected. I now have all my needles re-calibrated, the instrument cluster completely re-installed, and the rear hatch switch re-connected. Everything is back together, I still have the clicking sound when the key is in the Run position.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? It's driving me crazy.

#2 ·
check your connection to the headlight switch for the gauges, other than that i am cant think of anything else, the only time i ever heard a clicking noise in my car is when the alternator went out, 3 times in 4 years

#3 ·
I found this, Alternator Clip "How-To", but it looks as if half of his post is missing now so I have no idea of what to even look for.

I don't have any of those other issues though and my voltage is perfectly fine. Alternator seems to be working just fine, no noises from the alternator itself and no problems with any lights whatsoever. Just the clicking sound they mention in that thread.

#5 ·
clicking noise coming from under dash

I have a ford focus 2003 2.3l. I have been having some crazy clicking noises under dash coming from 2nd mult relay fuse. here is the other issue while clicking. all light in and out of call dimming in and out, radio turns off and on. stailing while driving. seat belt chime freaks out. air bag light comes on and blinks then stays on. I have replaced this relay 2 days ago seemed fine, 3 hr later started up again[?|]. so Im at a lost here. and about to put a rag in gas tank and call it good. dont get me wrong i love this car, my first one and took really good car of it. but now i have no idea. if anyone can help that would be great[drinking]

#6 ·
I just had this exact problem with mine. So before you blow it up, try this. Clean off your battery! It could just be corroded.

My car used to have that clicking noise. My lights would flicker, the engine would stall, and that damn clicking sound..is there anything more annoying than that?

So yeah just clean off your battery terminals. Disconnect them first, then get a toothbrush and mix some warm water and baking soda. Pour a little bit of it on the terminals, watch the corrosion start to bubble, and start scrubbing it with the toothbrush. After you give both terminals a good scrubbing, it might not be a bad idea to change out the nuts holding the terminals to the battery.

Hope that helps!

#7 ·
Does anyone have a diagram of the positive battery cable. Cuz i did look at it some more and it looks like there is some melting of the plastic going futher down.. i did try to clean it off today and it a pain in the butt.. gauges started to bounce and clicking noise in rythem with gauges while starting. So im gonna try cleaning it more and looking into replacing cable.. i will get some pictures posted here soon so you all can see what im talking about[headbang]

#10 ·
Bad ground!!!

I have my 2004 2.3L SE die on me in Georgia while driving to FL. It had been making a clicking noise coming from under the dash randomly while driving.
I had it diagnosed several times, all of which were useless.
I replaced the battery and alternator at the same time when it die in GA and it started making the sound again once I got back to good ole MI! I FINALLY got smart and replaced the grounds and that solved the problem.
I highly suggest once you have checked fuses and connections to just replace your grounds. Its simple, easy and cheap to do.

#12 ·
This may or may not be the issue but it is something I had experienced before. Soon after I got my car and was doing some work in it I noticed a similar clicking noise on an intermittent basis, it turned out I had accidentally activated the rear wiper (pulled the wiper switch arm forward) and only noticed when I caught a glimpse of it in the rear view mirror.

Worth checking at least, especially as you were working around it when messing with the cluster and may have accidentally done the same as I did.

EDIT: Appears it was the issue, and somebody resurrected a 4 year old topic which I didn't fully read through before posting. :)

#14 ·
Rear wiper clicking sound from the fuse box

Hello. I am getting a clicking sound, too. 2003 Focus ZX3 here. It is, as well, the rear wiper switch. It ONLY clicks when turn backward one position, for the wiper position only. Not in the off one.

Now, I'd like to fix this so, to get my rear wiper working again. So far, I have replaced the Relay in the fuse box, but the click is still there, and actually it sounds slightly louder. Next, I'm planning to get a Multimeter and test both the old relay and the new one, to make sure they actually work.
My clicking happens as soon as i

Beyond that, I need help, I'm researching it further, and any sugestions are fully appreciated. Thank you. [cheers]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.