Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Getrag rebuild kit??

10K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  mjoyce 
#1 ·
My SVT gearbox was giving up the ghost, so I purchased a used one form a member here. Unfortunately, when it was installed there were problems, and so my shop sent it to their preferred transmission guy/shop.
Well, it turns out that the used gearbox was also toast, being described to me as “being exploded”.
With the hope to now use both bad gearboxes to rebuild into one, the shop have been unable to find a Getrag rebuild kit. Ford told them that they only sold new gearboxes at $4K!!!!
So, does anyone know if Getrag parts (new) are available from any source?
Right now the shop has three used Getrag gearboxes coming in for their inspection to find a good one, before then installing one. This has put me into a very expensive situation, thinking that the used part would be the perfect answer. Hindsight is always 20/20!!

#3 ·
You're there in SoCal, surely there is a big manual trans shop that can get individual parts. Don't look for mom and pop shops, go for a bigger distributor that sells over the counter to the public too. Somebody there is bound to do it.

I remember Ford's exact same response for ATX parts, we sell the entire trans only, no rebuilds done anymore. I couldn't get parts for a six year old trans, they were all listed as NLA. I found a wonderful shop here that sells both new and used individual parts but a 40 mile drive.

#5 ·
Maybe not kit but individual parts? I quite frankly find that hard to believe............the people who assemble them are no smarter than us, and they service them to get them together initially.

#6 ·
Ether hoard used ones to make some good ones or hate to say it but a 5spd swap would work too. At ford recently my buddy's input shaft on his svt was chewed beyond repair. Ford quoted $7,000 to replace the 6spd. I found a used one for $250 the same day. He said his car never shifted this good. I guess we were luck finding a good trans. I kept his old one for parts since I also have a svt. The trans ,engine and front knuckles and rear caliper brackets are made of gold. I try to pick up extras all the time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.