Focus Fanatics Forum banner

setup/compatability/tire question

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  2005 ZX3 
#1 ·
I drive a stock 05 zx3, but i just purchased a set of 17" svt wheels and am most likely going to buy FRPP springs. Are these completely compatible with no issues? and what tires would be decent and do a good job for under 400 or under 350 if possible? are there any? also, how is this going to change my driving experience? any input is appreciated!

#3 ·
If you have a tire that is, say, 205/45/17.

The 205 represents the width of the tire in millimeters.

The 45 represents the height of the sidewall relative to the tire width, from the rim to the edge of the tread. It's a percentage, so 45 would be 45% of 205mm, which would mean the sidewall is 92mm high (0.45 x 205mm = 92mm).

The 17 is the wheel diameter in inches.

#5 ·
I run General G-Max tires on 17" wheels with H&R sport springs, which are similar to FRPP but are progressive.

You'll find better steering response with the smaller sidewall height. The steering wheel feels more directly connected to the road.

I believe with 17's you'll be looking at tires in the 205-215 width range. I have 205s and wish I have gone with a wider tire. Use tirerack.com, if not to buy, but to at least do your research.

To give a bit of a review of my generals:
The tires have really good traction brand new. It cuts through wet roads like they aren't even wet.

But once they wear down a bit, they become a regular tire, and produce a little more road noise. This is to be expected, and for the price, you really can't go wrong. On the track it is really easy to reach their limit, and I plan on switching to a summer tire for this reason.

#6 ·
The Std. tire size to fit is 215/45-17. That was std for the SVT and works with no speedometer error due to changing sizes.

My '04 Sedan runs stock SVT wheels from that year, with the SVT suspension kit (version I got was the one with assembled front struts, rear springs & shocks, no replacement sway bar). The ride & handling are great IMHO, and I would suggest using a MATCHED set of springs & shocks for best results.

NO clearance issues, exact speedo readings (checked with GPS), sporty & comfortable ride (NOT harsh like the wife's STOCK Civic), overall a great, fun, useable setup.

Tire choice is personal, and depends on intended use & preferences. Tire Rack has great ratings & reviews, spending time looking at the options there will steer you to something YOU will like. I used the Dunlop Sport Max summer tires, German manufacture & 1 step short of an "Autocross" tire but still "trackable" from the reviews with GOOD wet weather capability (I wanted max street performance with track or autocross possible if the opportunity presented itself)

Stock rims with winter tires would be the best answer IMHO, since the 17's, even with "all Seasons" mounted wouldn't be too good for winter. That said, I DID use it a few times in the snow with the summer tires, but needed to drive accordingly!

To summarize, the setup you are considering is considered the best 'bang for the buck" you can get to improve the car's handling performance - turns it into a real sports car from a good handling economy car.

luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.