Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - What octane fuel to use?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
kmtalko
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91681
What I Drive: '03 Red ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 kmtalko Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan4Focus View Post
I know I'm going to start a firestorm of replies with this post but, here we go. I see you are in Wisconsin so I know you have Ethanol available. Try mixing a 15-20% blend of E-85 with your regular grade. If WI has blended pump options, that would be the way to go. You get a little higher octane with the Ethanol and gain a little performance in acceleration. Contrary to the nay sayers, it will not harm your vehicle. You most likely already have a 10% blend in WI. I recently retired a 1993 Ford with 232,000 miles on it that I had been running a 30% blend of E-85 for the last 100K miles of it's life. I had no negative effects at all; no seal problems, no fuel line problems and the engine was still spotless inside. Besides a small boost in acceleration, I also see about a 5% improvement in fuel mileage both city and highway. The blend should also be a little cheaper.
Thats not a bad idea. I might try that today. So basically if I'm filling up from empty, I put in say $5-$10 E85 and the rest of the tank regular? If it causes no problems I might as well give it a try. Plus here in WI E85 is nice and inexpensive which is defiantly a plus for me.