Focus Fanatics Forum banner

HVAC vent selector / upper blend door - faulty design or repairable?

26K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  pbfoot 
#1 · (Edited)
09 HVAC vent selector stuck on Defrost and Floor only.

My HVAC switch is not responding to selecting between defrost/panel/floor vents in my 2009 Focus SES (2dr). It only comes out of the defrost and floor vents.

Temperature is OK, the A/C and heat both work, and the blower responds at all 4 levels. I can't find any threads that specifically address the issue of directional control, only blower problems and temperature blending issues caused by resistors.

The mechanic opened the dash and found no broken parts or failed components. He showed me the blower doors behind the radio and we both played with it a bit. They opened and closed smoothly, and the actuator motor (upper drivers side) bench tested OK, according to the shop.

When he started to put it all back together, the tension created by the assembly was clearly causing the upper door to get stuck in place. The owner of the shop said that he thinks Ford has redesigned that specific assembly in the 2009 mid-year but didn't know why.

I'm inclined to believe that it's a faulty design, and since my car was an early 09 (oct 08), might Ford be willing to upgrade to the corrected unit at a dealer? I've only had the car since July 2011, but the delivery date of October 2008 means my bumper to bumper ended in October 2011. I'm at 34,000 miles. I'm also wondering if a stronger actuator motor would have the oomph to push the door open even with the tension.

edit: After the mechanic lubed it and put the dash back together, it's working again. But since there wasn't any damage, I'm certain it will repeat. It was $630 in pure labor to switch to panel. I'm still looking for a guaranteed fix.

[?|][?|][?|][?|][?|][?|][?|][?|][?|][?|][?|][?|][?|][?|][?|][?|][?|][?|][?|]

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi LynneK,

Have you swung by your local Ford dealership so they can take a look? Ford certified techs are in the best position to diagnose and repair your vehicle. You may also want to contact Ford Canada at 1-800-565-3673; they'll coordinate efforts with your dealer and work on a resolution.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to me via PM.

Have a great day!
Crystal

#9 ·
Well, if you would READ, you would at least get this far and maybe as far as you can go there....................

'But, because it's behind the dash, if you don't have a friend that can help you or some time/knowledge on your hands,.....'

#11 · (Edited)
your Heater + a\c blend door actuator has failed.Easy repair.the actuator is a small electric motor found in the big black HVAC box to the right if the dr ivers knee (US cars)held by 2 Torx 20 screws.Remove panel below steering column for better view.multicolored wires in a socket connector.Order online to get an image.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.