Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Looking at 2012 focus hatchbacks

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  lddavis 
#1 ·
Looking for my first car purchase(recent college grad). Im interested in a focus hatchback with a manual--current car is a stick and theres no going back--but i am having a heck of a time finding manual transmissions. At first, I was thinking a used one with 20-30k miles would be perfect, but now I am seriously questioning if I am going to be able to find the right one in the next few months(still have yet to see a manual pop up). With this in mind, I have begun to reconsider a new 2012. A local dealer has a hatchback SE with a manual, so I am coming to you guys to get the collective opinion on what a good price is. 21k is absurd, 2k off that is better, but still way high for a base hatchback with a manual transmission. I am eligible for x-plan, so that would get me down to 18k, but I still am not comfortable with this number for that car. With there being 4 days left on the 2k incentive, i smell blood in the water and feel like i might be able to get a good deal on the car i want. I think 17k is a good price on a 2012. Is it realistic to negotiate 4k off the msrp? Truecar has the same options etc. in my area coming in at 17,400. Add tax onto that and you are still looking at a sizable chunk of change. I dont want to be a jerk about the process/deal, but i also dont want to fork over a year's worth of savings unnecessarily. What is the position of the dealer at this moment in time sitting on a 2012 manual? Are they desperate and willing to come down considerably? Finally, what are some tactics for sweetening the deal for the dealership? I can most likely afford a hefty down payment of 7-9k, does this make a difference to them, or would they prefer you to finance through them? Sorry for the long post, but i am pumped about this process and wanna do it right the first time through.

Patrick

See less See more
#2 ·
Rule #1: Know your bottom price BEFORE you go in and don't move off that number no matter what. If they won't meet your price, walk. Don't get swayed into making payments higher than you can afford, you'll regret it and you'll not enjoy your car (as much).

Ask about rebates, especially on 2012's. Look at neighboring dealers to see what they offer and go with the lowest price. Also, confer with your local Credit Union to see about their financing. Their rates are usually lower than the dealers and those "special rates" the dealers offer aren't always your best bet, compare numbers over the entire contract length, not just monthly.

Good luck though, your first car purchase will be memorable and you'll really enjoy your Focus. Keep us posted.

#4 ·
Oh yeah, I know the rules of the x-plan. I was actually planning on completely ditching the x-plan, because I think I would be able to negogiate more than 800-900 dollars off the price. Xplan is sort of overrated. Would you guys suggest buying one while the 2k cashback deal is going on, or waiting it out until november and really trying to negogiate a deal on leftover 2012s? I still havent ruled out used 2012s, just cant find one.

#6 ·
ok, I was trying to get a feel for how good the xpricing really was. Would you ever be able to negotiate better than the xpricing? True car makes it seem like 17,500 is very plausible to achieve http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/f...exteriorColorId=865656&interiorColorId=865645

Test drove the hatchback tonight and I am digging the car, now its just a matter of finding one for the right price. Does anyone know of the best high volume dealers within a 3-4 hour drive of Pittsburgh, pa? Do any specialize in ford? I have been watching blue knob auto for a month now and havent seen a manual hatchback come down the pipes yet, and they get 3-4 2012 focuses a day. Just wanna keep my options open before I fall back on the new one.

#7 ·
You can negotiate below X plan but depending on dealership fees sometimes it is moot to negotiate $400 under invoice if their dealer fee is $500. The other issue you might have is finding that exact hatch at that MSRP. Hard to find unit.

#10 ·
X-plan is a good price, but if you're a really good negotiator or get lucky, you might beat it, especially on common models. A/Z-plan is an awesomely good price (very near dealer cost minus holdback).

Don't forget that X-plan includes all the fees, and places caps on the docs fee and admin fee. It's not a good deal to say "I got $500 under invoice!" from a dealer than then adds on a $695 doc fee and $395 admin fee and $195 prep fee and then adds back the destination, advertising, and fuel fees... What really matters for comparison is total price of the car before tax/tag/title. Get that number from your salesperson, out the door, all fees included.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.