Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How is the ride on the 18" wheels?

3K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  StockTalon 
#1 ·
Hi there,

will most certainly be buying a 2013 Titanium Hatch soon but can't decide if I want the standard 17" wheels or the 18 inchers included with the handling package. I live in Seattle so don't want the hassle of having to swap out the tires if I don't have to, would the "summer only" tires be OK in normal wet conditions and light snow? I do like the look of both wheels.

Also curious as to how the handling package equipped model and standard titanium compare as far as ride quality, road noise and handling.

If I got the 18" summer tires would it make sense to swap them out for all seasons?

Thanks!

P.S. Just discovered the Google search option so am finding a lot of good info and doesn't look like I can remove this post.

Paul

#2 ·
Typically, summer only tires we just that, summer tires. They are made with rubber that is designed to be operated in non-freezing temps. They are usually rated wet/dry and can even lose the wet rating based on tread wear. You will get almost no traction from these tires in light snow or near-freezing temps. If you want to run summer tires in the summer in the northwest, I would suggest getting some winter tires for when the temp drops, even if you may only see a light snow. Typically winter tires are smaller in size and width than summer tires, as a wide summer tire would simply float over the snow and provide you nearly no traction.

EDIT: Tire rack is a great source for any tire/wheel questions... As far as the original question, I don't know, lol. Was looking at getting some 18's and the eibach prokit myself, and was kinda wondering how how much it would stiffen up too!

#3 ·
I live in Oregon so we have similar weather. I have run summer only tires all year, and while it can be done, it can be pretty sketchy at times. So I bought a pair of high performance all seasons that will be installed Monday or Tuesday. I love the Michelins, but I don't want to have to deal with swapping them out twice a year and then having to store them, so this compromise is worth it. FWIW I got the Bridgestone 970AS.

#4 ·
I live in Oregon so we have similar weather. I have run summer only tires all year, and while it can be done, it can be pretty sketchy at times. So I bought a pair of high performance all seasons that will be installed Monday or Tuesday. I love the Michelins, but I don't want to have to deal with swapping them out twice a year and then having to store them, so this compromise is worth it. FWIW I got the Bridgestone 970AS.
Thanks, I'm leaning towards that option too, maybe immediately getting a full set of all season tires and selling the OEM Michelins, esp if I buy the car soon before the worst of the winter weather sets in.

#5 ·
I live in the Boston area and I got the 18" wheels.
I love the tires, they've been working pretty well as it's been getting quite nippy here: 38-50 degrees F
It rained a bit this past week and it's been pretty good.

However I have already planned steel wheels and 15" snows for snow.

The ride is firm but not terrible. It compares to my 2009 Focus with FRPP and 17" wheels @ stock size.
I think it actually rides better than that but that's just my opinion.

#6 ·
Hi there,

will most certainly be buying a 2013 Titanium Hatch soon but can't decide if I want the standard 17" wheels or the 18 inchers included with the handling package.

Also curious as to how the handling package equipped model and standard titanium compare as far as ride quality, road noise and handling.

Thanks!

Paul
To answer the above question.

I LOVE the 18" handling package and noticed a large enough difference in the two (non & equipped) Foci that I drove. The stock tires stick and stick well to the surface of the road and the stiffer suspension gives the car a firmer and more planted feel.

The only downside, and not a large one IMO, is the reduced turning radius with the handling package.

For the extra $595 you're getting tires that sell brand new for over $800 and wheels that cost over $600. If you want to swap to A/S tires, have the dealership pull the stocks and put on a different set for you. Then go out and sell them on Craigslist for $600 and re-coup the money spent on the handling package. [thumb]

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with the handling package. I would have regretted NOT having it.

#12 ·
the spare goes under the cargo hold anyways in the hatchback, so not really any difference. I have 18's it does seem to turn wide for a car of it's size, I can barley turn into my driveway without going over the median a bit (my driveway is like a 120 degree turn though. I bought it used so thats what was on it. I still get the suspension clunk even if the shocks etc are different. Not really complaining but I wold personally pick whichever would provide better gas mileage since this is my commuter car.

#11 ·
Bought '12 SE with Sport Pkg...

Put on 18" Sparco Assetto Garas wrapped in General G-Max AS03's (all season ZR rated). Cost mounted and balanced, shipped to me from TireRack $1500. If you wanted the TPMS sensors installed before shipment it was another like $150 plus $45 tool to sync with car.

Haven't had a single complaint...

Very happy camper!

#14 · (Edited)
I wanted the 18's because: I wanted 5 spokes. I wanted a full(16")spare. I wanted stiffer suspension($595!! no brainer)Summer tires in AZ means all year..very grippy. Turning radius is not an issue when canyon carving...otherwise...still not an issue to me. Get 17's if a couple feet in turning radius means that much to you. Either way you'll love it.
Ride isn't loud and with the Sony system, the louder the ride noise the louder the sound system gets. They're 18 low profile...you'll feel some bumps...if that's a turnoff get some 14x70's...marshmallow ride...come on, it's somewhat of a handling machine...you're gonna feel things...you'll WANT to feel things. That's the point..no? You can always get the wagon wheel 22's...slightly higher ride...get a big brake kit with those...turning radius rivals the USS Ronald Reagan(an aircraft carrier).
My vote?....get the 18's

#15 ·
I bought my Ti with the 18" wheels after driving SELs for two weeks on business trips. I give a slight edge to the 18s (and the accompanying Michelins) for grip and the other obvious advantages.

Living in Maryland, I replaced the tires almost immediately after buying the car a year ago... sold the summer tires and bought Kumho all seasons. The Kumhos [Komhoes?] now have 18k on them and are still going strong.

Back to the 17 vs 18 debate... one disadvantage is cargo space (I was glad to give this up b/c I wanted a "real" spare tire), and the fact that when folding down the rear seat you have two different flat levels instead of all the same plane. Another is the larger turn radius. I have to do a U turn on my street when parking at night and I can't do it in my Ti without doing a 3-point. I don't know if the 17s could do it, but I do know that my last car (2003 WRX wagon) could.

I like the looks of the 18s with the silver body color. They look like they match. I also like the black 17" rims with the gray or black body.

Bottom line, if I had to buy again I think I might go with the 17s. At least for the way I drive (not as aggressively as I used to) I think the 17s are perfectly adequate and when it's time to replace the rubber there are more and cheaper options at that size.

#16 ·
The Handling tires aren't bad but, they don't agree with slush and snow, they're not really affected by the temperature. Its still a street friendly, non high performance tire.

As far as ride with the handling package, its still soft and quiet like any other modern car. Its nice but, its not a track day package at all.

I wouldn't swap the original tires for all seasons, just get a set of winter tires for the winter and call it a day. I only have 15k on mine and, they are about dead so, next spring Ill swap them out for something better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.