Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Wet under the Hood and then the transmission goes wierd!?

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  suznal 
#1 ·
2005 ZXW (wagon)
Car runs fine, no major complaints – until it rains.
Car will operate just fine in a shower, but as soon as I hit standing water (enough to make a decent splash) the tranny (automatic) slips. It will go in and out of gear – I end up barely driving 10mph!
Sitting still, in drive or neutral, the engine idles fine.
Sice this only happens after driving through water deep enough (2 inches) to make a splash, I’m assuming that something is getting wet and confusing the heck out of the car. After an hour or so of sitting and drying out, the car is fine.

What do I need to check – I’m thinking a sensor? But which ones should I look at? Or perhaps there is another problem?

PLEASE HELP!

#6 ·
OK, I was about to tackle it this weekend, but I received conflicting information about using the grease on the connectors.
I was told that if i grease the pins and re-connect, if the pins don't make actual metal-to-metal contact that it could screw things up even further. I did some looking around on the internet and found information backing this up.
Can I disconnect the connectors, clean up the contacts, put the grease on the pins and re-connect without a problem?

#4 ·
minimum wage employees that's what it is, most of them can't even use their own computer catalog, let alone any technical knowledge about cars - I used to get frustrated at 'autozonelike' stores but now I just go there and ask for specific part numbers.

..ok I still get frustrated, the autozone close to where I live will always have 1-2 ppl on counter, and all others just walking around trying to look busy or will just stand there in plain view and chat about whatever it is that isn't related to their jobs, so often I need to wait 20 minutes in long line just to pick one part :/

#7 ·
They will still make contact. Go ahead and put the grease in. If you put to much in it will be just a little stiff to push in but it is pushing the excess grease out in any available openings. We use it all the time at work in lights and harnesses and what not.

#10 ·
Grease won't affect the electrical connection, it will just prevent water from getting in there and making cross connections or affecting the electrical. Use as much as you like. You can purchase bottles of the stuff. It's typically somewhere near the RTV, glue, brake anti-squeal, anti-seize, etc.

You can also use it on battery terminals- inside and out- to prevent corrosion. That's an old trick, except we used to just use whatever grease was on hand. Most grease is non-conductive.

#11 ·
(frustrated)
Well, I used the grease on all of the connectors going to the transmission, as well as other connectors that were in the general area that I found -

Now when I drive through a puddle, the car just stalls!
I can't let it idle, or it will stall out - and when I'm on the throttle it kicks and sputters!
I'm thinking something else is getting wet, but not sure what.

One thing I did notice - there are two connectors for where the wiring harnesses pass into the cabin - and they are located in the driver side fender well! Best part is that the liner has a cut-out for the strut which leaves a direct line of sight to those connectors! I see that both of these connectors bolt in - are they supposedly waterproof?

#12 ·
Finally found the problem!

The connector for the wiring harness (in the fender well) was cracked, and missing a piece. I filled in the missing piece with epoxy, greased it up real good and wrapped it in electrical tape before re-assembling. Then I got the hose out and tested to make sure the car was hurricane proof.

Problem solved and have no incidents since the repair (about a month and a half now).

!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.