Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - My '12 SE Picture/Project Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #282
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

Points 25,143, Level 95
Points: 25,143, Level: 95 Points: 25,143, Level: 95 Points: 25,143, Level: 95
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 10 Twenty Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Stealth bulbs, part II:

This update came a little faster than I expected it would, but that's because I found out I was kind of wrong...more on that in a bit.

The rear turn signals really show off the amber bulbs, so it would be a welcome change to get rid of them. As stated in the owner's manual the bulbs are 3757s, but I could only find stealth 3157 bulbs. Reading that the two are interchangeable and that '12 hatch owners had already used the latter, I ordered a pair and when I went to install them yesterday they didn't fit. As I looked closer I noticed that there were differences in a pair of small tabs, one on either side of the light's base. Because of that, they wouldn't slot in. Frustrated, I put the amber bulb back and assumed I'd have to try and find new pieces.

I was really confused when it was confirmed that hatches were using 3157 bulbs...I dug around more and found a VERY simple solution that many people had used before for various cars; remove the tabs. D'oh.

A few seconds with a small pair of cutters and a hobby knife later, the tabs were gone and the bulbs then fit perfectly. Problem solved.

And with that, there's only the mirrors' lights left to swap.

2012 YB Focus SE Sedan [featured in Performance Ford, Sept '14]
1992 BW Grand Prix SE Sedan [restomod project]
Bill M.