Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Two questions about my K&N Cold Air Intake

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  04ZX3 
#1 ·
This is the K&N Typhoon CAI, I bought a year ago and I've been using since. It's great, haven't had any problems, and I had it before I bought my exhaust and it sounded loud on high RPMS.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/kn-typhoon-cold-air-69-3516ttk/

My question is

1. Do I need to clean the filter? I've never cleaned it but it's a washable filter an idk I just thought I might have to clean it at some point?

2. Is this really considered a Cold air intake even though its a short ram?? Because when I get my header tuned the guy asked me if I have a cold air intake, and I do but idk if it's actually considered an cold air intake that should be tuned? I've been using it for over a year and I didn't even know I could or had to tune it.

#2 ·
Cleaning the filter really depends on how dirty it is. Take a look at it, if the filter media is filled with crap and looks pretty dirty then you can purchase a recharge kit and clean it. There's nothing to it, just take a look and see if it's dirty or not.

As far as the intake is concerned, by definition, that's a short ram. BUT, no need to worry because your tuner will be able to tune it regardless. The only difference between a CAI and SRI (besides the asthetics) is in which RPM range each one provides more hp/tq. A CAI will give you some extra low-end grunt while the SRI will outperform in higher rpms. It's the nature of each design. Your tuner was probably asking that to see if you had an aftermarket intake set-up. Tuners need to know the mods for your base tune. Once you upload the base tune, you can datalog certain enginer parameters for your tuner. This is when the tuner can make fine adjustments so you get the most out of your mods. Just let em know what mods you have and you'll be on your way to getting a nice custom tune [thumb]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.