Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Infra-Red Focus RS replica/conversion build!
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #178
dodgeguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85952
What I Drive: 2014 White Focus ST2

Points 634, Level 12
Points: 634, Level: 12 Points: 634, Level: 12 Points: 634, Level: 12
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 dodgeguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am not a painter by trade, but I used to paint years ago. Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in, and maybe something will help you. Oh, and for the record, what your experiencing is why I got out... you cant always predict the outcome.

I am very, very surprised to hear you say the paint lifted or wrinkled. Usually that only happens when either using 2 different types of paint - lacquer over enamel. Or to much solvent (lacquer thinner). I dont understand why using the prep all would do that to you. I looked up prep all and found it for about $18. Now, I am not believing that is the problem, but it seems kind of cheap to me. I was just at the auto paint store 2 weeks ago, and wax/grease remover was $35. Maybe it is an inferior product?

My fix would be to let the car dry a few days. Wetsand with 400 and use a sealer. A sealer should stop any interaction between the paints causing the lifting. Also, dont hesitate to call the manufacturers help-line. Sometimes they can be a world of help.

Anyway, I am sorry to see this happen to you, but I have been following your work and am pretty impressed. Dont get to discouraged. You will get it figured out and we will all be happy watching. Good luck!