This post will contain NO good news.
Today was a really bad day. I cannot put into words the level of anxiety, disappointment, and frustration I'm currently feeling.
The short version of the story, is I cannot get the shell to take paint.
The long version:
I got up early today all happy-go-lucky thinking I was going to do a quick wetsand and buff job on the shell, and then glue in the rear quarter glass and generally re-assemble the car. That is NOT the chain of events that occurred.
What DID happen, is the clear was not nearly thick enough.....which I now know/contribute to not having a gauge/pressure adjuster AT THE GUN when I painted the shell (I had bought one, but it turned out to leak more air than it let through and since it was 1am that night when I started painting I chose to go on without it. First mistake). You can probably guess what happened....punched right through into the color within a few passes with the 1000grit paper. So at this point, I was unhappy with the paintjob anyways and decided that I would attempt to bang out a complete re-paint today. Nick and Jesse were present today to help out.....
We re-scuffed the entire car in 400grit to accept new paint and re-taped/bagged the car back up. wet the garage floor and cleaned the shell with prep-all (second mistake, apparently).
When I went to spray a light coat of base coat back on, it lifted/rippled in a handful of very random spots. Choice words were shouted through my respirator. At this point, I phoned-a-friend and called a good friend from ohio that paints for a living. His recommendation was to let that coat of base dry, and then lightly sand the spots that wrinkled and spray a REALLY light mist coat of base again, and continue with the light coats until certain it's not going to do it again. He said that you cant let anything contaminate base coat during the paint process, and that when we scuffed and then used prep-all, the prep-all is most likely what caused the lifting (so was recommended that I not use it after this 600 grit touch-up).
So I did exactly that, and after sanding with 600 grit I blew the dust off with a blow-gun and tried to mist on some base. did this twice, and by the second time there was enough paint on there to make it apparent that these wrinkles were not leaving me alone. They came back, and came back WORSE.
I cleaned my DeVilbiss and packed it up. I'm done with this. I'm going to call back my friend from ohio tomorrow for further advice. I'm really feeling let down here. All I really wanted was for the shell to be painted, because then I could put the glass in and have it together....I really wish this paint issue happened on a bumper or the hatch door or something that was removable to deal with later. Instead the whole car sits now until I figure out how to deal with this mess.
I tried to capture what it did, but it was hard. Only way to describe is it looks like krylon wrinkle or hammered texture paint in areas.
only good thing I can try to report is that I did an awful lot of work on the passenger fender (but still needs a little more) and assembled the front bumper
I don't expect to have anything else to put in here for at least a few days.