Focus Fanatics Forum banner

airbag seat wiring?

10K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  mainest 
#1 ·
hi guys,

I just picked up an 02 focus svt and there were aftermarket seats in it before and it seems that the airbag indicator light runs from wiring that goes from the seats to the main wiring harness? Couldn't find a wiring diagram, can anybody shed some light? It would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
I'm sorry to say that if the car doesn't have '02 SVT seats, it won't be as simple as re-wiring. Here is a link to an '05 SRS wiring diagram which I'm sure isn't the same as your '02, but it may be of some help: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208006&page=3 If you do have '02 seats, each of the plugs from the seat harness is designed to fit only the proper corresponding plug in the main harness. In my '05, all of the individual seat harness plugs are held together in one larger plastic plug which then plugs into a corresponding large plastic plug holding all of the individual plugs from the main harness. The individual plugs will only fit into one spot in the large plastic plug.
In my experience, Focus SRS are model year specific. That is, every SRS component must be from the same model year as the control module located beneath the center console. All SVTs, I believe, came with side seat air bags, so the control module must sense one, with the correct resistance, in each front seat.
I swapped an '03 SVT interior into my '05 ST, and in the process, had to replace the side seat air bags and the front seat belt buckles of the '03 seats, with those from the '05 seats. A further complication for me, though not for you, was that in '05, Ford added a pressure sensor in the passenger side seat cushion which activates those air bags when it senses sufficient weight on that seat.
One last bit of information. The air bag codes can not be read or re-set by the run-of-the-mill OBD2 scanner. A separate program is required, and I have been told that only Ford dealers or qualified independent mechanics/shops can get that program from Ford.
My personal experience is that some dealers will not work on SRS, other than replacing necessary components. Good luck!

#3 ·
all of the individual seat harness plugs are held together in one larger plastic plug which then plugs into a corresponding large plastic plug holding all of the individual plugs from the main harness. The individual plugs will only fit into one spot in the large plastic plug.
I do have the original seats in it currently. I think what I'm missing is the bridge connector you speak of that holds the little plugs into a larger plug, and then into the main harness.

#6 ·
Nafets, sorry I lost track of this thread.
I looked at the wiring on my '04 SVT, and see that the large "master plug" if you will, coming out of the main harness does not have a corresponding master plug on the seat. Instead, the individual plugs from the seat, such as the seat belt buckle and the side air bag, plug directly into the large master plug, and appear to be glued into the master plug. If you still need help, I can give you a pin out of the connections from my seats. PM me. Remember that mine is an '04, and may be different. It seems to me, however, that the plugs coming from the seat should only plug into one place on the master plug from the main harness. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.