Originally Posted by rgonyer
Kinda of a bummer you did that to your original dealer- It wasn't their fault that the car is late.
I agree and I disagree. No, it definitely is not their fault. Yes, they spent considerable time with me over the summer working out the details of the order and yes, they expected a sale out of me. Don't think the appreciation for their involvement is lost on me. But when I e-mailed back asking how long it would take if I switched my order to the ST2, I didn't get a definitive answer. They then did get an ST2, but not the one I would have wanted (different color/package). So I searched in the area and found the one dealer that did.
What would you have me do instead? Bottom line, between the time I discovered my ST2 on the second dealer's lot and the time I went and picked it up (5 days), my first dealer could have done absolutely nothing to get me in an ST. So even calling him ahead of time to cancel (which I didn't want to do on the off chance I couldn't get financing in time and someone else would have bought the ST2 but I would no longer have the original ST3 order anymore) wasn't really an option. The car I wanted was sitting on the lot, ready to be purchased. How much do I owe it to the original guy to keep waiting (whether for the ST3 or for a replacement ST2) in that circumstance? I actually wanted to send him a bottle of wine or something, but thinking about it more and more, the way he chewed me out on the phone when I called to cancel, was more than enough satisfaction for him, as far as I am concerned. And, actually, my car was in the exact same situation - someone ordered it, then changed his mind. It's not like the original dealer should have much of a problem selling the ST3 once it gets there (assuming he's unable to get it deleted from the order bank), considering the attention the car has gotten.
Plus, I lost a couple of free oil changes (well, one - the other dealer offered me my first one free as well) and the GoPro. So as far as I am concerned, we each came out having lost something out of this situation. This is one of those where either way it turned out on the extremes (on one end me having to wait for an extra couple of months and possibly losing the advantageous % APR through my credit union that may not be available later but making the dealer happy and on the other precisely what ended up happening) would make someone unhappy without a good middle ground (unless you can come up with something that I haven't thought of).