Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Used Oil Analysis
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #19
Focus Enthusiast
Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Watch in the next few weeks when I begin a dedicated thread for UOA results as I track them in a detailed excel speadsheet. We did the same thing on SVTPerformance forums.

GT500 UOA thread

I have my factory fill sample from 945 miles as a baseline test. There will be additional testing with the Amsoil 5W-20 currently in the sump at every 3,000 mile interval. I will not change the oil at all, only test every 3,000 miles. Here is my factory sample.

Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I dumped the factory fill at about 1,500 miles and used cheap (but decent) old Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5W20 and a PureOne filter. Changed that at 6,500 miles and sent in the sample, so a relatively low 5,000 miles on the oil.

To my novice eyes the results look great. Wear metals are relatively low especially for such a new engine, and very little fuel dilution. With a TBN of 3.9 and flashpoint of 410 the cheapo oil had plenty of life in it.
It amazes me that a cheap lubricant can perform easily to 5,000 miles, yet still have life left in it.....

but people still have a hard time understanding that a premium lubricant like Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 can easily perform up to 15,000 miles or one year per oil change (severe service schedule).

Originally Posted by dnprall View Post
How much did the analysis cost you?
Amsoil Preferred Customers only pay $26.00 for a complete oil analysis, also includes free TBN and oxidation testing. Blackstone charges you extra for TBN and they do not offer oxidation testing to my knowledge (unless specifically requested). Amsoil's $26.00 price also includes UPS return shipping. Polaris Labs actually does the testing. OAI is only a cover name from Amsoil.
2014 Mustang GT custom ordered to replace the GT500: Sterling Gray, NAV, Recaros, Brembos, Glass Roof, back up camera, 6 speed auto, loaded
2012 Focus Titanium - 18" wheels with handling package
2009 GT500 Shelby (700 rwhp) - sold