Focus Fanatics Forum banner

CFM Intake boots- Warning/tip

5K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  BigRed03 
#1 ·
Re-tighten the hose clamps after several drive cycles!!

Ok, so TWICE now I've been moofed by the hose clamps popping off of the silicone intake manifold connectors - and as we know, that causes a VERY rough running engine.
Both times I've not been far from home, thank goodness.

Question/study underway:
How many times / what is the frequency of a retorque of the hose clamps is required before they stay in place?

(Hope this is the last...)

-T_T

#5 ·
havent had an issue since i put them on in 2009....

you sure the boot and/or clamps are seated properly when you install?? Did you pull the fuel rail to get the most access? I remember getting the #4 cyl (drivers side) on last and it was the most difficult. the bottom edge didnt want to go around the upper intake (part not attached to head). I put the couplers on the head side first, tightened those clamps and then started with #1 and worked my way across.

#6 ·
yup yup and yup

yup, and everything was snugged up tight, even new o-rings on the injectors for piece of mind...
I know it sounds like I moofed somewhere, but it's pretty easy to tighten hose clamps.

-T_T

#13 ·
No, there is a part of the upper manifold that attaches to another point for support. You will probably have to look from underneath the car.

#20 ·
Sorted, thanks!

Bingo, dude. Thanks for the patience in pointing out this possibility.

The 'ear' that should have had a bolt holding down the mani was broken. Bolt is long gone, about 1/4 inch gap from the ear to the block.

Being rather Bohemian, and quite clever [:)~] I found a bolt with the right thread and a 1/8" x 3/4" x 2" double-slotted steel plate (I don't throw 'good' stuff away!)

I cut one end open to fit either side of the reinforcement up on the broken ear, loosened one side of the mani boot screws for some 'give' and torqued down the new Mickey-Mouse fix.

How'd THAT thing break? Who knows, I wasn't that rough... Oh, well...

-Tommy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.