Focus Fanatics Forum banner

thermostat housing problems

6K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Hempster 
#1 ·
i have the 2004 svt focus as you know its the 2.0 engine code 5 and i have searched everywhere for the housing, it has major cracking on the bottom and inside from being the orginal one. i have the sensor and the cork on it but every housing i look at or go to buy is plugged and dont know what to do about the sensor please help me i am new to this site thank you all..

#6 · (Edited)
#17 ·
...or you could just properly maintain the original one, as it is most often oil leaking down the head that causes the large sealing o-ring to swell and crack the housing.
I do wonder what will eventually happen when the oil returns and swells the o-ring in your new, "stronger" and "improved" housing, what will now break, hopefully nothing as cheap as the original housing.
My solution was to change to Vitron o-rings for the sensor and plug, cost $1.00, no leaks after over two years, cross my fingers and knock on wood!
Fortunately/unfortunately it's maintanance that causes most of our little car's problems, not the design!

#21 ·
If you ever would like to stop the leak, use viton o-rings, but then again, you could have just used them in the OEM housing and saved some money!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.