Focus Fanatics Forum banner

What rotors to go with?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Geezer 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I might be changing my front pads and rotors. What do you all recommend for pads and rotors?
Might do cross drilled or cross drilled and slotted

#2 ·
FRPP's SVT front brake kit= bolts right up

'09 Foci, I'd go for a svt bbk= 300mm rotors & bigger cailpers & it all bolts right up. Hit Steve @ Toulsey Ford up. Enjoy more stopping power.[lockdance]

#3 ·
i recently did my brakes all around and went with the ebc pads and rotors, i did red stuff pads all around with slotted rotors and it ran me less than 450 since i did it myself :) and after they get broken in its worth every penny

#6 ·
Centric, Brembo or NAPA Premium are all good "solid" rotors at reasonable prices. A drilled and or slotted rotor will not stop you any faster and will cost you a lot more. A favorite street performance pad with many FF members is the Hawk HPS. It's a good street pad and can be used for autocross and light lapping if need be. My sons put a set of Centric rotors on my Mazda6 along with Centric PosiQuiet semi metallic pads last spring (kind of an experiment to see how these work). My son (who uses this car) has indicated they are a nice combination and work well for daily driving.

#7 ·
It's worth noting, there is nothing more solid than genuine Motorcraft parts.

Stock pads and rotors for the SVT will perform just as well if not better than the performance options for your stock brakes.

How do I know, because I've owned both.

#8 ·
Nick and Geezer both have good points. Personally, I'd would upgrade to the SVT brakes, it wouldn't take much for you to do so. I also own a SVT and a focus with drilled rotors. The SVT will reliably slow me down time after time from triple digit speeds. The other focus has one good stop in it then they are smoking like crazy with crazy fade. Now I don't have a "performance" brake pads, just what the rotors called for.

#9 ·
I know the svt is a good/common quality upgrade but i did a stop with my ebc's from 120 and down to 40 i thought the needle on the speedometer was gonna snap it stopped so fast, just putting if out there 80 mph lower in a snap i wish i had something to measure the actual time/stopping distance :/

#10 ·
I know the svt is a good/common quality upgrade but i did a stop with my ebc's from 120 and down to 40 i thought the needle on the speedometer was gonna snap it stopped so fast, just putting if out there 80 mph lower in a snap i wish>>> i had something to measure the actual time/stopping distance <<<<:/
Imagine that if you had the SVT set up. Now think if you had the Baer track kit. A few times & your fading. You cancome over to Renton, wa. & you can measure against my car. Huh?[thumb]

#11 ·
I'm sorry but a big brake kit is NOT needed for 99% of driving needs. If you track or lap a Focus (e.g. Spec Focus) than the SVT brake system is perfectly adequate "if the correct heat range pads are used" for the specific track your driving on. The same goes for the street, using the correct heat range pads (and shoes if equipped) is the primary objective. You can make a disc/drum setup work pretty damn good as well by selecting the proper aftermarket friction material and adding braided brake lines. Both Mintex and Porterfield make a performance pad/shoe set for the Focus. Also remember its the tires that ultimately stop the car. All the brake in the world doesn't mean squat if used with crappy tires.

#13 ·
The primary function of a slotted rotor is to clean the pad surface....especially to prevent glazing. So yes, by design they remove friction material from the pad every time the brakes are used. It adds up over time. Naturally the more aggressively the brakes are used the more the pads are subject to this cleaning action.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.