Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Is my 2.0 GDI the same without having Ti-VCT?

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  CriticalMass 
#1 ·
I bought my SE thinking I had the same engine for mods as any focus in the line. Did I goof as much as I did when I had my 2.0 SPI compared to the Zetec?

Further is this engine known to have a vibration at idle? I'm 6.5k in, mentioned it at an oil change and was dismissed as it being normal for the engine.

#3 ·
Further is this engine known to have a vibration at idle? I'm 6.5k in, mentioned it at an oil change and was dismissed as it being normal for the engine.
There's been a lot of discussion about vibration at idle, and it seems to be common. As SterlingArcher mentioned, it seems worse with A/C on.

#4 ·
X2. I've done a lot to try and make mine go away (octane, filter, mounts, etc.) and it always comes back. I'm pretty sure it's just characteristic of the engine.

#8 ·
I was told that the rough idle is due to the engine being tuned for efficiency to use less gas at idle than a conventional engine. Not sure if it's true, just what I've been told by Ford rep.
Also, it seems to be more noticeable when I have under a 1/4 tank of fuel for some reason.

#11 ·
Ford replaced the PCM on my 2009 SES coupe (TSB) in May and since then I have noticed this as well. I have also noticed a significant increase in mileage. I'm hitting 37 MPG on the highway with the A/C on (rated 32 MPG when I bought it), so I think it's just a result of some kind of programming change with the new module. I'm not complaining, as it hasn't changed the driving characteristics at all. Hard to believe that small of a change has increased my mileage by that much, but whatever.

A/C Off it idles about 100-200 RPM's lower, and there is a vibration. Flip on the A/C, idle smooths out instantly.

And I only mention this in this thread because I think it might be more related to Ford's programming than any physical characteristics of the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.