Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Lemon Law

10K views 46 replies 20 participants last post by  Tubeway Army 
#1 ·
Finally had enough of the problems from my car. I filed a claim with the BBB lemon law department. After my car being in the shop 33 days since late Feb and still most the problems still present, I just decided I needed to push harder for a Ford to fix my car or replace it. Has anyone else did this? I'd like to know what to expect. I know Ford is now all the sudden interested in talking to me and working on fixing the car, but seems there is little they can do until the engineers come up with software and hardware fixes. I guess I'll know a little more next week. Oh and now I am taking it back to the dealer, per Ford's request, to allow them to fix it. So add more time to the 33 days it has already been there!

#3 ·
Here is a list. There are a few more, but this is the main list.
1. Transmission noises, shift patterns and jerking. The dealer has attempted to repair these issues, but they still exist.
a. Transmission noises: During shifting from 1st to 2nd gear the car makes a growling noise that is accompanied by a shuttering type feeling.
b. Shift pattern: The car does not always shift down into a proper gear for the road conditions. If you slow down, but do not make a complete stop, the car will often fail to shift into the proper gear. It will then shutter and feel as if it might die. If you are on an incline the car will labor to accelerate.
c. Jerking: This occurs randomly while shifting. If you are accelerating half to full throttle, the car will “pop” into the next gear. This is accompanied by a surge forward as if the clutch on a manual transmission was let out abruptly.
d. Lazy shifts. The transmission is lazy when shifting gears. This is especially worrisome when entering a highway or crossing a busy intersection.
2. Steering “wobble”. The car will wobble left and right while traveling at highway speeds. The left and right movement as unsettling and at times appear to be dangerous. The car has veered several times far enough to put the tires on or over the lane limiting lines. The dealer has replaced some parts to correct this issue, but the issue is not solved.
3. Clock loses correct time after parking the car. Occasionally when first entering the car after it has sat, it will show the time that corresponds to the time the car was shut off last time. So if I parked the car at 10:50 pm, it will show 10:50 pm the next time I start the car. The clock must be manually reset to the proper time. The dealer has attempted to repair this problem, but it still exists.
4. Intelligent entry. Occasionally the intelligent entry does not unlock the doors when prompted. This requires the fob be used to gain entry. The dealer has attempted to repair this problem, but it still exists.
5. One touch locking. Occasionally the car does not lock when the sensor is touched. This requires the fob be used to secure the car. The dealer has attempted to repair this problem, but it still exists.
6. Front end noises. The car makes a “clunking” noise when driving over rough pavement. This is something new that was noticed on 05/02/2012. The dealer has not been informed yet of this. I will inform them on the next shop visit. See Below for information.
7. Stalling. The car will occasionally stall after backing out of the driveway and when it is put into drive from reverse. The car will “sputter” and appear as if it will die, but after 1-2 seconds it will drive as normal. The dealer has attempted to repair this problem, but it still exists.
8. Rain sensing wipers. The rain sensing wipers are not functioning enough to use them during rain. They will wipe 5-10 times in short succession and then not wipe while the windshield gets so much rain that it is creating streaks and running off from the wind. They appear to randomly wipe and not based on the amount of rain on the windshield. I have attempted to adjust the sensitivity setting, but this does not appear to fix the problem. The dealer is aware of this issue and has attempted to fix it, but the problem is still present.
9. Touch screen preset buttons. The preset buttons on the touch screen have gone blank. The information is still present, if you push a button it will change to the channel. However, you are not sure what channel is assigned to that button. So it appears only the information that is displayed is missed. This is a new issue that started the morning of 05/04/2012, the dealer is not aware of this issue yet.
10. Touch screen blacking out. The touch screen will occasionally go black. It appears as if an error occurred and the software is resetting. After 5-10 minutes the touch screen will be back to normal.
11. AC will show that it is on “LO” after restart, but it is not on “LO”. This happens when the car is parked and the AC is set to max. After a restart the AC is no longer on max, but continues to display “LO” both on the MTF screen and the AC controls.
12. The car will sometimes switch its audio or fail to resume the audio after hanging up from a phone call or on restart….tend to push to the usb drive.
13. Car wiped out usb drive and corrupted music files.

#4 ·
wow that is a lot of problems.

I have experienced a few of them myself. The transmission update corrected most of the issues related to feeling like the car is going to stall and the jerky shifting for me. I am currently waiting for parts to come in to repair that steering wander issue at highway speeds. Maybe once a month, usually longer, I have to reset the time on MFT manually. With your presets being blank, that happens on my car too sometimes, but if you change from say FM1 to FM2 to FM3, the preset will show the station again. Also, sometimes my screen goes blank but it is usually updating or sending out a report.

You still have far more serious problems than I have. The rain sensing wipers are sometimes quirky but most of the time work as designed.

I hope everything works out.

#5 ·
Yeah some items have been fixed, but when I copied the text it did not show the lined out text. I got the steering update, but that did not correct the wobble. So good luck with that. I am just worn out from hearing "Ford is working on a fix for that issue, be patient". I do not think I should be patient when I paid good money for this car. Just my opinion.

#6 ·
I bought an S, Im pretty sure everything that dont work on your car I dont have on the S LOL. All kidding aside, very sorry to hear that! These seem to be such great little cars. Hope you get this either fixed, or corrected.

#7 ·
I'm not sure you understand how the Lemon Law works...it's basically only for when you buy a car that doesn't operate. No matter what problems you have with the car, unless it's caused near-death experiences and fails to start on a regular basis (and the dealer *refuses* to attempt to fix it), you don't have a case.

Just letting you know...since the dealership is still attempting to help you, you can't "lemon law" the car. Not how it works. I hate to say it...but these are the things a warranty is for. There's bound to be a car or two out of every few thousand that doesn't operate up to the bar the rest do. You got unlucky, but at least Ford is continuing to try and help.

#8 ·
He's right, but if you keep pushing the issue (and get a lawyer involved) ford will most likely buy the car back and give you a huge discount on the purchase of another vehicle just to shut you up and get you to go away. That what they did for me when I had a 2000 focus that was in the shop for all kinds of electrical gremlins that they could never figure out.

Issues #9 and 10 are happening on mine also, but they did not occur until I upgraded to version 3.02 of the MFT software

#9 ·
I have returned a Mercedes in as a lemon under the Colorado lemon law requirements. Out of all the issue you have listed you only have the items in 1 & 2 to help you along. The remaining items are not safety critical issues that could cause the car to become a driving hazard. Or jeopardize overall resale value.

#24 ·
Yes I had a 2012 loaner with the DCT for 3 weeks while mine was in the shop. It drove very well. The steering was still pretty weird, but not as bad as mine. So I know how it should drive. I think that is one reason I keep pressing to get mine fixed. The loaner did not have the bells and whistles that are a major problem for my Titanium. So I can only say the DCT worked well, the remainder of my problems I could not verify.

#25 ·
How did that car spend over a month in the shop? Most of those things listed were either simple recalls they can do in an hour, or MFT problems.

Seems fishy.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using FF Mobile 2
Yeah I was shocked also. It would go in for something that you would expect to take little time, but the dealer would have it days. They replaced the body control module and that was an entire week!

#26 ·
This is not a road noise problem. The car is quite on the hwy. The suspension has been fixed. I did have the clunking noise, but the TSB fixed that problem.

The front end does not vibrate. It wobbles left and right at hwy speeds. The steering wheel does not move, but the car moves a lot. Very unnerving.

Could be the tires, but Ford sold me the car with those tires, so they need to fix the issue. It should not be on me to figure out why the car they designed and sold does weird stuff.

#29 ·
No, Ford got involved and has had me switch to a new dealer. Half the time was at one dealer and the other half at the other. Both dealers have tried to fix stuff, but many of the issues and software related.

#30 ·
Same problems

I have a 2012 Focus SE and I have almost every problem you have listed. I have been in contact with corporate Ford and the dealer numerous times and none are willing to help or even acknowledge the problems. I have been given a handout with almost all of our complaints listed and was told this is how the car operates "normally". If I were you I would definitely pursue the lemon law. From the research I've done you should have a case. Unfortunately for me I brought the car in for these problems twenty days after my one year mark had passed, (I don't drive it all that much), so I can't file under the lemon law.

Keep me updated. I am at a loss as to what I can do in my situation at this time.

#32 ·
Did anything come of this? I'm well over 30 days now, as my car has spent 9 days (come tomorrow, although they stated they should have it back to me then assuming they can get the seat rail replaced. No clue what that's about though since that'll be the third time they've replaced the rails on seat) at the shop for a headliner replacement. There are a few other issues that still need to be resolved (assuming the headliner is even fixed), but I have zero interest in wasting even more time trying to fix something that has spent far more time being repaired than it took to even build in the first place.

#33 ·
Well I actually hired an attorney. So they had me drop the BBB case so they could reopen it with them as my attorney. Kansas requires the BBB before a lawsuit can be filed. The attorney told me the BBB thing is just a way the mfg makes you jump through hoops in hopes you get tired and worn out. So I take the car for inspection next week and just wait and see. Hoping for the best. This car had worn me out. All the claims of nothing is wrong is old.

#34 ·
The car moving a lot during highway speeds definitely sounds like the steering rack issue TSB 12-2-17,

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282053

Sensors were not programmed correctly in the steering rack which causes the car to wander left and right at highway speeds, while the steering wheel is held straight.

fix: steering rack which is nationally backordered ~6 weeks needs to be replaced.

#45 ·
if all this stuff went wrong with mine I'd be mad too... like releasing a half finished game and then trying to patch it after release but never getting it quite right... honestly I have no use for all that technological crap anyways.. I would probably have bought the base model with manual transmission, but I don't believe it had cruise control, which is essential for me. I also don't particularly like the way ford does the gear ratios on their manuals. The electronic power steering thing is not unique to this car though, it's one of the reasons I avoided other model cars for the same reason.. they need to get that stuff sorted out so you don't have to microadjust the steering constantly at fast speeds, or ditch the tech and go back to hydraulic steering.

I don't buy all the crap about torque converters being the root of all evil, sucking up gas mileage, etc. either. The gas mileage improvements to me seem marginal and unprovable going to this DCT....

Maybe it's just a way for them to make the cars more 'disposable' so people can't drive the same one for 13 years like I have done to this point. I have a model year notorious for being unreliable too and most of the fixes are easy ones so far that cost 40 bucks in ebay (2000 grand am) .. the intake gasket has been leaking for 6 years now, hasn't gotten worse.. just don't let the dealer work on it past warranty and invent things to fix and take it to a good independent mechanic...

13 years later and I still have little to no squeaks or rattles.. just one spot, where the sunroof is, and I fixed that by wedging a bunch of nickels in there so there's no movement. :) Also hardly any chipping or scratches.. if anything the windshield is now more scratched than the car and I could use a new one. They don't make auto paints the way they used too I don't think.

#46 ·
Thanks for seeing my fustration! Yea they dont make cars like they use to!..im very upset that my brand new car is a lemon, but thats a risk you take when buying any vehical any brand! What upsets me the most is how ford had treated me and handled my situation! im glad you have had good luck wih your vehical and i hope you continue to!

#47 ·
I had problems with almost every car I ever bought, but this one is beyond anything I ever bought in terms of severity, safety and overall driving excitement which I score quite dismal. It's a pity because aside from the DCT, it's a great car overall. Yet Ford keeps pumping them out, some people are lucky and have no issues, others like myself have cars that are only a few months old and have had issues.

It sours the experience, that's for sure. Even if I drive my car hard and kill the gas mileage in the process, that is heavy foot it I still find my tranny grinding, missing shifts and shuddering. To be told "that's normal" or "it will go away in time" is unlike anything I have ever bought in the past. If I knew this prior, I never would have even considered a DCT equipped Ford.

It pay's to do your homework and sadly I did not do mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.