Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Basic Bolt-ons: Intakes and Induction

262K views 289 replies 135 participants last post by  11FocusSE 
#1 · (Edited)
One of the first aftermarket parts folks like to install on their cars are aftermarket intakes. An aftermarket intake in most cases removes the stock airbox and replaces it with more of a free flowing setup. In this Topic I will go over what kind of intakes are out there and the pros and cons of each. Remember, all intakes fit both the 2.0L and the 2.3L. The only oddball is the 08-10 which only accepts the Steeda/FocusSport/AirRaid units as of yet.

NOTE: I have included links for pricing and pictures but by no means am I suggesting buying the particular product from that particular vendor. Do some shopping around, find the lowest price including shipping as that can be the deal breaker!

First off, there are two different styles of intake/induction setups. There is the shorty or short ram style and there is the cold air induction. Separately I have mentioned the "custom" intakes we have come up with.

Replacement Panel Filter:

There is no replacement panel filter for all but the 08-11 (non-PZEV) Foci due to Ford's decision to install a "maintenance free" lifetime air filter.

For the 08-11 (non-PZEV) models, K&N makes part #33-2401 which is available for around $45.99 from your local parts store.

Short ram intake:

Steeda 05-07 (note: will fit the 03-04 DTEC engines, but it is very tight against the headlight)
Steeda 08-10
AIRRAID Cold Air Dam Intake System 08-10

"Custom Short Ram"
The Custom Short Ram is built by removing the stock MAF tube, shaving off the tabs on both ends, flipping it and dremeling out the MAF sensor opening so that way it will fit in there facing the correct way, and then attaching one end to the stock throttle body boot and attaching a cone filter to the other end. It should sit right behind the driver's side headlight. If someone can find the "how-to" thread on this that would be greatly appreciated.

PROS
The benefit of this type of intake is that they are simple to install, they are fairly cheap and they give decent gains. Also, no risk of hydrolock.

CONS
These intakes can be louder then stock, for some folks this is a problem. Even though Steeda included a heat shield, they still take in ambient under hood air, which when the temps are hot can decrease power. There is a decent amount of air moving around when the vehicle is in motion however.

Cold air intakes:

Here are some of the more common cold air intakes you are likely to find.

FocusSport Cool-Flo (NOW FITS 08-11!)
K&N FIPK2
K&N Typhoon
Cosworth (discontinued)
F2 CAI
AEM CAI

"Stealth CAI"

PROS
These intakes make nice gains throughout the rpm range, mainly due to the fact that they locate the filter in an area where it can take in fresh air.

CONS
Most CAI setups use a tube which requires the stock electronics from the MAF sensor to be removed from its stock housing and then placed in the intake tube. This makes upgrading to a larger MAF impossible without buying a new intake. CAI setups also place the filter in a location where it is able to get very dirty very quickly. CAI require more frequent maintenance than short rams. CAI setups are also susceptible to water ingestion, being that the filter sits so far down near the ground.

These are not all of the intake setups for the Duratec motor, they are a group of the more common and more well known parts.

Comments, discussion, and corrections welcome!

See less See more
#5 ·
its the same as every other...

plus im not sure they are still making focus parts.

#8 ·
Marcy is discontinued, but probably more likely to turn up for sale than Cosworth. People cling to their Cossie stuff.

#9 ·
This thread is a wast of time, we have all seen the past ones just like this and know that no one new is going to search for this or even glance at it even if it gets stickied. There will still be the one who just post it any ways, nothing wrong with that, it just gives us all stuff to talk about. But the effort was in good intention. I hope this thread goes some where.

#10 ·
Sure many people will still ask questions about this thread. But isn't that part of the reason we have the forums? I'm sure it will be helpful to a lot of the newer people to the focus world and will help them in selecting the parts they want. I think it's a great idea to help out a bit.

Nice write up!!

#11 ·
Ya, they will still ask with out looking at this thread, that is exactly my point. This is all great information for sure but the point is that they will look first, but even if they don't it will be fine because it causes great debates on the forum regarding induction and intake. It just opens a box for people to get flamed because they don't search/look first. Thats all I'm saying.

#14 ·
i got a custom intake that out performed my k&n cai.
off the top of the dome. i think it cost me $55.00 for just the pipe and connecters.
not counting the filter b/c i used the k&n off of the cai.
short-ram cold air (SRCA intake)
no hydro locking -------- way up off the ground
no 90' angles from a cai --------- strate stream of cold air
no maf restrictions ----------- able to mount upgraded maf

ill post pics tomorrow

#18 ·
the point of this thread, Guy, is to give us something to link the newbz to when they ask an obvious question. I'm tired of rewriting the same thing so I decided to write it all up and I stickied it in the sticky thread along with all the others I wrote in the group. And, if anyone did search, then this would come up.

#19 ·
Plus, we can just link this thread when someone asks, and it's case closed.

#20 ·
K&N typhoon for the 08-09's says it is for the PZEV models. has any one actually Put it on Their PZEV focus. How well does it work. Oh and it kinda looks like a SRI and not a CAI, Just an observation.

#51 · (Edited)
I read this first!!!

away from everything hot
I'm really digging that, and getting ready to read the writeup on the DIY SRI... the stealth looks awesome, but I don't want to put my (wife's) filter that low.

Anything special I need to know about the MAF before I start screwing around with stuff? [:)] (EDIT: apparently so!)

I really don't like the idea of a maintenance free filter... and closing on 50,000 miles it's time to do something about it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.