Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Metra dash kit for 2012 focus

74K views 112 replies 38 participants last post by  arnithma 
#1 ·
Its on their website but I can't figure out where to buy it. Anyone know?

#47 ·
I was hoping to install everything today, but the USB that goes into my tablet stuck out too far and hit the air vent. I just ordered another (smaller) one but it will probably be another week before I get it installed. Sorry for all the delays, unexpected difficulties keep presenting themselves.

#49 ·
It actually came out well imo. There was still issues fitting wires behind the air conditioning but in the end it fit relatively well.
Thanks for the pics man - the tablet is a great idea - looks excellent.[thumb]

#52 ·
I have the Metra XSVI 5524-nav wiring harness kit with a Pioneer 7" AVH 4400BH and used the AXXESS ASWC steering wheel kit in the Metra dash kit. My lights on the panel for the time screen go out after about 5 minutes or so,,, did you wire every thing up right? It was a bowl of spagetti for sure,,,

#54 ·
Front balance

I got my Metra kit installed by a professional shop the other day. I just now noticed that the front speakers left and right balance is reversed. For those of you with the Metra kit, have you checked your balance? I'm thinking the shop got it reversed and soldered the wrong side to the harness, but I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt first. If someone who has this harness could check and report back to me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

#57 ·
The dash kit its self is easy. two torqs screws holding it in. instructions on how to remove it and install it are in the kit. getting the wiring right involves following the instruction accurately and is the hard part. just follow the directions and you can do it. the car harness and steering wheel control harness are dependant on what stereo you get.

#61 ·
Hard to tell, but in the last pic - is the Metra Button illumination red even though the Focus Interior is blue lighting?

(Missed a whole page of the thread somehow - saw where it was confirmed later).

That would almost be a deal-breaker for me (although I imagine you could swap out some LED's, but you shouldn't need to.)

#64 ·
I'm wondering the same thing. Every picture I have seen, the buttons look orange or red. You would think there would be a way to switch the color, but the directions make no mention of it. My kit is sitting on my workbench with the harness all soldered up. I just haven't had time to actually install it in the car. I might try to do it this evening, so I should have the answer soon. I ordered some blue LEDs to replace the orange ones, but they're 470nm, which is closer to blue than blue-green like the Focus lights. Anything closer to 500nm that would be blue-green is impossible to find in surface mount. I'm thinking of using light green photographic gels glued over the blue LEDs to match the color better.

#65 ·
I'm really wanting to see how that comes out.

I didn't realize the Metra kit was also surface mount LED's.

I would think gels would work - it also would probably be possible (but expensive) to use the surface mount LED's that Ford probably used in the headunit, window switches, etc.

(Assuming they are blue led's - on the Gen 1 Focus, they were often white lights shining through green plastic with translucent white paint.

#67 ·
It looks like I won't get a chance to install the stereo until the weekend due to all this crappy weather from the east coast hurricane, but I played with the control panel a little. It looks like the LEDs I ordered are too small. I measured the Metra ones, and they're 3.25mm x 1.65mm, so it looks like they're 1206 SMT package. I found these on ebay in blue: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Twenty-B...423?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cff05c7df

Here's the same thing in green: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Twenty-J...096?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bb0bfe60

Here are the gels I ordered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/260769002895?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I thought about using the Ford LEDs, too, but I can't find them anywhere. Any part that has enough of them would be at least a couple hundred bucks, and you'd probably destroy half the LEDs removing them anyway, so I'm just gonna go with cheap LEDs and try to match the color with gels.

I'm not sure if a blue LED with a green gel filter or a green LED with a blue gel filter is best, so I just ordered both. There are 14 LEDs total on the board, but I think a couple should probably stay the reddish color for the hazard button and the lock indicator. With 20 of each color and a bunch of gels, I should be able to screw up quite a bit and still have plenty of spares. The light conductor on the Metra buttons is just clear plastic, so whatever color the LEDs emit will be the button color. The LEDs are actually mounted upside-down from the component side of the board, so it'll be really easy to glue the gels on the button side to shift the colors.

Wish me luck hacking up on my $180 bezel. LOL

#72 ·
From the instructions:
Wiring Harness:
• XSVI-5524-NAV - Ford interface 2011-up
<OR>
• FRST-2 - Ford RSE/SYNC/THX Retention Interface 2012-up
Antenna Adapter:
• 40-EU10 Multi-App antenna adapter

Note that SYNC is expensive and fairly limited here - i.e. you only have control of USB with it, not the radio itself, you need rear RCA AUX inputs on the new radio, and you need a cheesy display if you want to see what is playing (at least in most vehicles).

Also - I said it earlier - but I still can't believe Metra used orange LED's for the buttons. They look white in their video, which wouldn't be quite as bad, but they had the car for development - how hard would it be to match the blue LED's. (And it's not like different trim level Focus's have different color illumination (like say a Civic SI vs. a base Civic, for example!!!)

#74 ·
That all depends on what you do for your setup. If you replace the factory radio, then you lose the factory AM/FM/SIRIUS/CD. However, you are still able to keep sync.

What I did was simply use the dash kit to install a screen in the dash. The stock ford radio is still behind the screen that I have and my Windows 8 computer sends bluetooth audio into the stock radio. This way I was able to keep all of the AM/FM/SIRUIS, etc. features of the stock system and have my computer for nav, ODB readouts, any app that I wish to run.

#79 ·
Jrobles376 - be certain what you are asking for.

The Metra is simply a plastic shell. Any standard DIN or Double-DIN radio will work with it.

Now - BT, NAV, and DVD are fairly standard for Double-DIN HU. I would recommend looking at Pioneer, Kenwood, JVC, or Alpine - maybe Clarion also.

Rear camera is also pretty standard, but you would have to install the camera on your car and run the wiring back to the head unit rear video input.

Internet browser will be an issue - some of the Pioneers with AppLink and some of the JVC's with Android support can probably do that using your smartphone. Otherwise, you are going to need a mobile hotspot and a computer interface - in that case, I recommend copying Mr. Peaches setup above.

#80 ·
I bought the Metra Kit for my 2013 ST and planned on using it with my previously purchased pioneer single DIN head unit( MVH-P8200 ), but after wiring up my radio and installing it between the brackets of the kit underneath the screen I realized the legs of the plastic piece were bowed out on both sides, as if my HU was too wide for it and then when I tried to put the main dash kit over top it wouldn't fit.. turns out my HU is about 1/4 inch wider than the kit. at its slimmest point my radio is 7" and the opening for the kit is 6 7/8". (if I remember correctly) I'm just really confused because I feel like the dash kit should be compatible for the HU and I don't know why this is happening. help please! [???:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.