Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Ford Focus - Tire Replacement Advice

36K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  ZakAttack451 
#1 ·
I have low miles on my 2012 SEL Hatchback, but I'm starting to do research on the eventual replacement tires. Here is the OEM tire:

Size: 215/55R16
Tread: 500
Traction: AA
Temperature: A
Load: 93
Speed: H

First of all, I want to keep the size the same. The speed rating is probably the least important, because I'll never approach speeds of 100mph, except during the Zombie Apocalypse - this will only to get me to a better vehicle.

I would like to keep the Tread, Traction, Load and Temperature at least at the OEM value, but the sticking point is the all-season nature of the tire. Here in this part of Missouri, we don't tend to switch tires between summer and winter...the only time I've done so was on my 2WD Ford Ranger.

So, I need a tire that will perform well in the summer and winter that will not hurt me too badly on MPGs. The spec sheets are nice, and I can narrow them down that way, but nothing compares to the real-world when it comes to results.

Does anyone have any recommendations, or should I just stick with the Continentals? I've never been a fan, and they seem excessively loud for my tastes. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored By Tire Rack"

#5 ·
The DWS was the first that came to my mind, they've gotten good reviews and I'm liking mine.

#8 ·
The Conti Extreme Contact DWS has earned a loyal following because its the best of the all season offerings because its the only all season that can actually work in the snow. It will not replace a dedicated snow tire but its as close as it gets for an all season tire. There are several good three season tires but none are in the same league as the DWS when it comes to the slippery stuff. Check out Tirerack's testing for a better summation.

#9 ·
I got several recommendations from a few car forums including several people I've known a while and even one guy who runs them on his 440AWHP Subi Legacy.

So far I do really like them and their grip is outstanding for an all-season but when you throw it into a corner you can tell it isn't quite a summertime tire but the breakaway isn't sudden and I've gotten plenty of warning when the tire starts to understeer. I bet the DW version is pretty impressive.

#12 ·
I wish I could give you something new, but I'm also a fan of Continental's DWS tires. They are awesome in the snow and yet still maintain high performance in dry. Much better sport tire than stock. The only tradeoff is perhaps a little bit more highway noise than stock tires, but that's why they're stock, lol.

#13 ·
I have 65,000 kms. (40,300 miles) on my factory Continentals. I do a lot of highway driving on weekends with speeds not much over 90 kph (55 mph). I check my tire pressure at least once per month and I am not a aggressive driver but it appears that I have to replace my tires already. They are already down to the wear bars. In this province, if I was in an accident and the police were to check those wear bars, it could weigh against me

So I am quite disappointed with Continentals.

I have just completed my research and will be installing Michelin Premier A/S 93H P215/55R16 next week. I bought Michelin snows and have been quite happy with them so why not the same in a summer tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.