Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Anyone in Rochester, NY area?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Citoriplus 
#1 ·
Need a little point in the right direction here.

Have an 04 zts 2.3l, need new exhaust soon and really want the fswerks stealth for the 2.3 duratech.
This exhaust would eliminate the second catalytic converter, leaving my car throwing a CEL for the o2 sensor.
I know you can have the second o2 sensor deleted I just dont know of anyone to do it, and cant really afford to buy the flasher from fswerks to do it myself.
If anyone knows anywhere in the area that can do that it would be a great help.

I am in farmington about a 20minute drive to the rochester limits.

#8 ·
I had the secondary shut off with a tune on my previous focus when it was turbocharged, and it never gave me an issue with NYS inspections.

but like others have said, if you don't have an o2 sensor mounted downstream (after) the second cat, you won't have any issues.

#3 ·
As far as I know the NYS inspection is only concerned with any safety or EPA related codes the ECM has stored in it.
It also looks for recent erasure activity.
In other words you can't use a code scanner to erase an error code then get the car inspected 10 minutes later.
I'm not sure if they would work on a car, but they have been selling and using O2 eliminators on Harley's and other bikes to fool the ECM into thinking its there and working properly.
The plugs are the same because the O2 sensors are the same ones used on all cars.

Check with a couple of the aftermarket fuel management device makers or dealers, like Fuelmoto, for Harley's.
Many if not most sell the O2 eliminators and should be able to tell you if they will work for you.

#5 ·
To the OP, I don't think there's an o2 sensor past your second cat iirc so it wouldn't cause a cell if you remove your secondary cat and ad a cat back. If there is an 02 after your second cat then you need to do the spark plug fouler mod and have your 02 sensor hooked up and working. Gl

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

#9 ·
As long as the ECM doesn't think there is a problem it won't spit out an error code.
NYS inspections check the ECM for the serial number and Check Engine error status and history.
If there is no errors and there is no history of errors within some, unknown by me, time frame the car will pass without a problem.
So putting an eliminator on the line to fool the ECM or reprogramming it to ignore one that's been removed so it will not throw an error, will get the car passed the inspection.

Just heaven help a lot of us if some fool in Albany decides to change the law to mandate some new kind of visual and electronic inspection to verify the installation and proper operation of all the factory installed systems mandated by the EPA.

My 07 Harley is gonna get me at least ten years in the pen for that.
It stopped being EPA legal within a month of my getting it home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.