Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Rear Squeak Solved!

97K views 68 replies 44 participants last post by  faildattempt101 
#1 ·
Okay, so as so many of us have posted, the focus has a tendency to develop an annoying squeak/creak when going over bumps. It comes from the rear, and can be on the left or right.

I could not believe people when they said that it could be the e-brake cables, but I secured them anyways. They go through a loop that is bolted to the frame. That bolt can get loose too, and cause its own squeak. The loops are on the sides of the car, about one foot from the rear wheel wells. The big cable goes right through them, so you can't miss em.

BUT, for me, the noise still came from time to time. So, I went under there and really looked all over. Turned out there is a plastic clamp that runs under the rear seat. It gets loose over time, and when you hit a bump, it can move, causing that squeak. It holds the e-brake cable in place further up the car, away from those bigger loops that are about a foot fwd of the rear wheel wells. This clamp is about two feet in from the side of the car, more near the center.

Trust me, when you touch this spot, and you hear the noise, you know IMMEDIATELY that this is what has been driving you nuts. It makes the exact noise I hear in the car. It sits up a bit, recessed under the back seat. I tried to get some pics of the spot for you guys. I put some grease on it, but it also flips over (rotates), and you can then put the cable back into the clamp. When flipped, it tightens right up. No more noise. I dreaded when I first started to go over the usual bumps that cause the problem noise, but boom, no more noise.

Pics:

The white clamp in the middle is the problem, with the green thing going through it. Its all tight now, in that pic...before, the clamp faced upwards instead of down, and it was loose.

You can see some of the white lithium grease I applied squishing out from under the clamp.

Look for those other hoses/lines you see in the pics, and you will see it.

If you have this damn random rear squeak, check this out. If you try it, post up your results!

Hope this helps. I know it drove me NUTS.

See less See more
#56 ·
Glad this is helping people...the pics were gone, so here they are again, fresh. Look under the car where I noted and you will see this green piece...it is the white clip it sits in that makes the noise.

#57 ·
I was just about to go and get new shocks cause this sound was driving me crazy as well! And I only bought the car 3 days ago! Sved me at least 300.00 and the time changing the shocks! Love this Forum!

Bought a 2007 Zx4 ST and thats my 4th foci!

#59 ·
Just got an 08' Focus and noticed the squeak in the rear suspension and have to say "THANK YOU!" Just a couple zip ties through the rear Ebrake loop mounts and no more squeaky.

Also found a rattle above the gauge cluster and tightened those two screws facing up, still rattled. took out the two screws facing up and removed the trim panel surrounding the gauge cluster, inspected, replaced but didn't tighten screws all the way, rattle gone.

Just in case I thought I'd pass that 2nd prob. along.

Bookseeb

#60 ·
I am going to look at this tomorrow. If this solves the problem I will love the OP forever!

I have had the squeak since day 1. As of this winter it has gotten to the really annoying point. I have slightly unballanced tires in the rear so on the highway it happens like 200 times a minute. I am going suicidal.

I am going to check this out tomorrow. I will be so pumped if this solves my dreaded issue.

#61 ·
So I finally got to look at it. I zip tied where the cable was rubbing and it seemed to solve my issue so I am so thankful to the op for starting this thread.

Sent from my game boy color

#66 ·
Hey Man,
I have a 2009 Focus SE Sedan, and it turned out to be the emergency brake cables on my car that were squeaking. In a little different spot I believe, but same general area. About 1 foot north of the rear wheel wells. Should see a relatively large cable going through a metal hanger. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Clay

Reactions: aca2983
#63 ·
I have a 2014 focus that makes me want to run my car into a bridge to end it all because of this annoying noise from the rear! I've read everything above and can't figure it out... My thought was the 3 white clips running down the center of the car but I've wiggeled the shit out of them and nothing. The car only does it above 60mph.

#64 ·
Have you tried checking to see if your tires are in good shape? I know with my car I had this shaking that would happen between 65-75. I knew my rear tires were worn. So I took to have replaced after not being able to stand the problem(probably was a good idea any ways)and turned out one of my rear tire had a bubble in the middle of the tire.

On a side note: Thats to the OP and others would commented on this squeaking annoying problem. I have taped mine with electrical tape for the moment and it has pretty much solved the issue for now. I do get some slight squeak here and there, which might be further up the car to the other plastic clip, but it'll do for now.

#65 ·
Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis (got missed in the split of the sections)

Tango - haven't seen this exact problem mentioned for the MkIII's, try a post in that section for more looks/ideas.

#68 ·
Because they aren't on facebook any more. When you asked about them, 9 years had passed. It's now 11 years since this thread was started.

They WERE here:
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._204898688143_550223143_3201002_1160105_n.jpg
and here:
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._204898693143_550223143_3201003_3556828_n.jpg
Now if you try to pull them up, you get a 404 Not Found message. So, that's why.

I would like to add that I have a 2007 ZX3 with the AWFUL rear end squeak. I originally thought that it was a coil spring rubbing, but then I found out about that damned E-Brake cable. They're BOTH getting yanked and sleeved, and new cushioned wire/cable clamps installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.