Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Uh-oh

15K views 85 replies 49 participants last post by  engine ear 
#1 ·
Just talked to my fiancé who drives my Sterling Grey SE hatch and she hand-washed the car using a bucket of water and a green pot scrubber. I have not seen it yet, and I won't be until Wednesday. Even she noticed that it was badly scratched, in two places where apparently she scrubbed at some bird poop. But my concern is that the entire car is scratched, including the clear coat. I will post some pictures on Wednesday when I get home.

I am angry and disappointed but I am determined to do whatever it takes to restore the finish on the car. Does anybody know what kind of steps I need to take? Assuming the worse that the clear coat is heavily damaged how do I fix that? She also scrubbed the 17" black alloys. Yeesh.

#6 ·
Did she use the same bucket and sponge on the car AFTER cleaning the wheels? And a pot scrubber? Sheesh.

An annoyed as you surely must be, I would think that any scratches to the clear coat could be corrected by a good detailer with a rotary buffer and compound. You could even do it yourself, but if you don't have the gear and experience, you're probably better off paying a pro the $200 or $300 it would cost.

#57 ·
That doesn't even look that bad.

LOL @ the people suggesting a repaint...

You kidding? Wax doesn't fill scratches, glaze fills scratches and only lasts 2 weeks at the most. Glaze won't fill in that deep of scratches either.

OP needs to invest in a good random orbital buffer and some compound. That's quite doable to correct yourself. It will cost a bit of clear coat thickness, but in the end it will nook better than new.

#15 ·
Since it was just a plastic scrubber I can't imagine the clear coat is gone. I am sure a simple buff with ScratchX 2.0 will not be enough, though. It might need to be wet-sanded. I would take it to a detailer, get an estimate, then go to the detailer you would rather deal with and talk about a price based on that quote.

BUT, now that there is already damage you could just buy a DA orbital and some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and give it a shot. You probably won't do any more damage (hard to do with a DA even on perfect paint). Maybe there is a member here who can loan you a polisher? Either way you could resell it afterwards. These guys have nice packages and ship quick for a reasonable cost: http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Packages-M29/Porter-Cable-7424XP-65-Basic-Kit-P335/

#33 ·
Yeah, what he said ^^. I picked up a "Meguiar's Professional Dual Action Polisher" on Amazon for $150 bucks + $10 foam pad + $9 polishing compound. So, depending on how much a professional shop wants, it may be worth doing yourself and then you will have the polisher for life or to sell. I guess this also depends on how much time and patience you have because even with the machine, it's a fair amount of work.

To All the 'call off the wedding' comments [hah] [giddy][giddy]

#20 ·
I hate to say this, but those green pot scrubbers are plenty abrasive enough to leave marks on tempered glass. I'm pretty sure the clear coat isn't harder than glass. Good luck.

#28 ·
...I have not seen it yet, and I won't be until Wednesday. Even she noticed that it was badly scratched, in two places where apparently she scrubbed at some bird poop. But my concern is that the entire car is scratched, including the clear coat...

I am angry and disappointed but I am determined to do whatever it takes to restore the finish on the car. Does anybody know what kind of steps I need to take? Assuming the worse that the clear coat is heavily damaged how do I fix that? She also scrubbed the 17" black alloys. Yeesh.
I don't think she'll do it again after this. She just didn't know.

And yeah, I forgive her. But however much it costs to fix I will spend- she won't get a say in that. =)
Sounds like it will need a polish.

Sorry man...
...I would think that any scratches to the clear coat could be corrected by a good detailer with a rotary buffer and compound. You could even do it yourself, but if you don't have the gear and experience, you're probably better off paying a pro the $200 or $300 it would cost.
A reputable car detailer should be able to buff it out provided it is not scratched past the clear coat...... then you are into major bucks!!!...
Take it to a reputable auto detailer to have them buff it out. Factory finishes have a very thin clear coat and the pro's should know how to work it without burning through the finish.
...Find the most reputable detailing business in your area and have them remove the scratches. Don't try fixing it yourself.
...My wife used a magic eraser on her new traverse years ago to clean bugs off her hood. If you dont know, which she didn't, it is basicly a very fine sanding sponge. Burnt the clear coat real nice...[mecry]
...I'd recommend getting a pro to detail it. Check local car forums, car clubs, etc., to find someone local. If she didn't get through the clear coat hopefully they can buff it out without much trouble.
Hi everybody -

Nelson12, we completely sympathize with you on this one. [:(] It's tough dealing with scratches, but I'm pleased to see you're determined in getting it fixed. As a matter of fact, I think any of us would be this way too. [headbang]

You're getting great advice from other members; I'll add to it. I recommend giving your dealer a call. They may be able to recommend someone (or a shop) in which they regularly use for any repairs. In addition, you have the alloy wheels to consider. If by any chance you need touch-up paint after this is all said and done, go here: http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2012&m=Ford&mo=Focus#Search.

BigDandthegirls, I use the magic eraser in my shower and it works wonders. My condolences go out to you as well.

To everyone else, thanks for your support! [:)] His Focus will need a lot of attention from here on out.

Best wishes,

Thomas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.