Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Warning about K&N Intake

66K views 307 replies 50 participants last post by  stefcio007 
#1 ·
Let me preface by saying this is what I think caused the problem.

So I was traveling down the road and looked to the side just as my car went over a huge pothole. The car seemed fine and I wasn't worried. But when I got in the car later I noticed what seemed like loss in power at lower RPMs. I pulled over and found that the filter had come off the MAF housing...no biggie. But, as I was putting the filter back on, I noticed that there was a crack straight through the housing. It seems like the weight of the filter being banged around cracked the housing. Anyways, I'm gonna patch the crack with some duct tape until I get a new housing.

Moral of the story: pay attention to where you're driving!
I'll post pics in a bit when I go out to patch the crack.

Any of you Steeda Intake folks willing to part with your MAF housing? [:(] I'm willing to pay of course!

#60 ·
Kevin, lighten up...

I'm 30... I work for a living... And if you read the above info, I don't have a cracked housing, hence why I'm as upset as I am. Correctly installed and still having issues.

Thanks though

#64 ·
Wow. You guys are obviously experiencing an issue I don't have (yet), so I'll stop trying to tell you how to fix it!

I hope this is resolved for you soon.

#65 ·
Thanks! I am all about a constructive solution to our problem. I have had mine on my car for about 6000 miles now, only had it happen twice

#68 ·
Well, at least they're cheap. Order another!

Deformation will eventually lead to cracks, I'd presume.

#70 ·
I sent him pics about the other issue too (MAF housing contacting bottom of shield hole) so they have evidence of that too. I haven't heard anything from Troy about it.

#71 ·
Hello TboneZX3 - We had sent you a hardware kit to space out your MAF from the heat shield, in reading the thread it appears you used your own solution. We were waiting to hear back from you on how the parts we sent worked out when we last spoke on 6/12/2012, sorry for the confusion and delayed response.

Were there any other forum members like TboneZX3 with MAF allignment issues? (Heat shield + MAFsensor or housing contact) If so please PM me so I can contact you and document this issue, thanks!

Troy. [:)]

#74 ·
I'm not sure how this could be an isolated incident. The two heat shields K&N sent me fit identically, and my MAF housing is no different than anyone else's. I could very easily see how most people would not even notice the bottom of the MAF housing contacting the heat shield.

Please check the email I sent you on 6/12. You will see that I mentioned FF user wantz12, who has also mentioned on the board here that he has the same issue. I also suggested at that time that he contact you.

He mentioned it in this post, which was a reply to my install post on the prior page, where I first mentioned the issue in post #192 of that thread on 6/1 : http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287255&highlight=K&N&page=17

#75 ·
Mine looks just like yours TBone so it certainly isn't isolated. I haven't noticed an issue yet because of it but I am keeping an eye on the filter and checking that it is still seated tightly very regularly. [cheers]

#85 ·
I agree. A flat metal ring or bushing around the I.D. of the flange would be great.

#96 ·
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that the engineering department is aware of the issues you are experiencing. I want to thank each and every one of you for making K&N aware of these issues, as soon as I hear from the Engineering department I will contact you all.

At this time I would ask for your patience and understanding while we gather information, as always if you have any issues with this intake system please call in to 1-800-858-3333 and speak with a customer service representative to let us know so we can document every case individually.

Troy.
K&N Engineering
Warranty Department.

#115 ·
Toying with the idea of a thin walled section of tube to fit inside the edge of the MAF Housing and into the filter to keep it from being crushed and possible smooth air a little over the entrance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.