Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Remote Start and "Open Door Shut Off"

76K views 118 replies 48 participants last post by  john725 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I placed an order for a 2012 Titanium with most options including Ford's remote start. After doing some searching, it turns out that new vehicles equipped with MyKey coupled with Ford's remote start has a "safety" feature which will turn off the engine when the door is opened after being started remotely.

What is everyones experience in disabling MyKey and programming the remote start to disable the open door shut off feature? I emailed my salesperson requesting him to find out more information and talk to the technicians but I haven't received a response yet.

I found out that some were successful in disabling this open door shut off feature in some 2011 Fusions and 2011 Edges and I'm hoping that it's the same for our 2012 Focuses.

Thanks all,

Mike

#5 · (Edited)
I tried to post a PDF from the Ford Focus Forum, Accessories & Modifications/Remote Start thread with instructions on how to change the settings to over ride the door open shut down function and the remote starter run time from 10 minutes to 15 minutes. I'm at work and that might be why I'm having problems, I'll try tonight from home.

Edit: Sorry, according to the Posting Rules I may not post attachments. It's too wordy to type out.

#7 ·
IDK, would it really be that harmful to the starter to shut off more. I think I read somewhere that in other countries, some Focii has auto off/on at stoplights to save gas, and the only reason we don't get that is because Americans would think there is something wrong with the car when it did that since we weren't used to it. I think I also read it may be coming soon, since people are now more understanding of it with all the hybrids roaming around now.

Anyway, I like the idea of disabling the auto off, but I would definitely only remote start the car if it were in my driveway, and not in some mall parking lot or something.

#8 ·
MY-KEY OPTIONS
NON MY-KEY OPTIONS

When I try to copy paste the PDF from my documents folder, above is all that copies. I don't know why I can't post attachments, I asked the question in the FAQ thread but never quite got the answer I was looking for. Does anyone know why I can't post attachments.
You may not post attachments is what it reads at the bottom of the page in the Posting Rules box.

#12 ·
PDF is not copyable text. It is kind of like an image but not. What you can do is link to where you downloaded it to so everyone who wants to see it can click the link to open it on their machine. Copy and paste the link you clicked (by right clicking on the link and clicking "copy link location") and then post it here.

#13 ·
I just got a 2012 Titanium and after remote starting, I get in with engine still running, press brake and the start button (normal push button start process) ....the engine shuts off. Bah! Pressing just the push button or just the brake shut engine off also. The remote start manual says, for safety reasons, certain actions will shut off the engine, such as opening the hatch... or pressing the brake.

So, based on the current behavior, it would always have the engine shut off, then have be re-started. Seems stupid. The dealer service manager (nicely) indicated 'this is the way it is' but is looking into any workarounds (such as disabling the Mykey feature) Hmm, you should not have to disable a feature for the remote start to work properly. Either way, it does not appear Ford thought through the remote start in combination with the "Intelligent Access Push button Start." Actually, I have never had remote start. Maybe this is common??

#17 ·
I just got a 2012 Titanium and after remote starting, I get in with engine still running, press brake and the start button (normal push button start process) ....the engine shuts off. Bah! Pressing just the push button or just the brake shut engine off also. The remote start manual says, for safety reasons, certain actions will shut off the engine, such as opening the hatch... or pressing the ?
This may be a silly question, but if the car is already started, why push the start button? I have ordered the Titaniuum with remote start so am curious.

#14 ·
The remote start is a terrible dealer installed option that is poorly integrated into the car. I would highly recommend skipping it as beyond all of these problems, it adds an extra stupid/ugly fob and renders the excellent proximity unlock/start useless.

#27 ·
I have a 2012 Focus Titanium with IA Push Button Start and recently had the remote start installed by the dealer. I found the programming button on the passenger side. I was able to successfully disable the annoying honk when remote starting and also change the setting to remote start on 2 button presses instead of press & hold.

I only have one remaining problem. The "Open Door Shut Off" feature is supposedly in Option Bank 2, however, Option Bank 2 ends at Option #6 (Horn Honk on Start). I can't seem to get to Option #7 to change the "Open Door Shut Off" behavior. Does anyone know why? [burnout]

Thanks!

#28 ·
Well you've gotten farther than most of us so great work there! Where is the program button at? If I can find mine with your help I could try mine out to see what happens!

Thanks & nice work!

#32 ·
Having issues changing the settings. I can get into programming mode without issue, and I can change banks and options, no problem. The issue comes when trying to change a setting. The LED on the fob doesn't show anything, and when I press the button on the fob to change the setting nothing happens. No LED change, no horn honk, nothing. If I press and hold the button the factory reset initiates (as indicated by the four honks), but it doesn't respond to a press and release at all. This is on a 2012 Focus Titanium with Intelligent Access. Any ideas?

#33 ·
The LED to watch is underneath the dash, and part of the remote start wiring harness (not the fob). It should be within a foot of the remote start module. Look under your dash. If you can't directly see the LED, then look for the red glow from it. When you are in one of the programming options, it will turn on or off with a single push of the remote start button.

#37 ·
FYI, I used the instructions in this thread to successfully disable the annoying "shutdown" on unlock / open door function. I had installed an OEM Ford remote starter myself on my 2012 "S" model Focus with regular key start. The install itself was actually the easiest remote starter install Ive ever done. Most of it is plug and play. Even though according to the instructions there is no option 7 in bank 2, there actually is. You can just find it by scrolling through with the brake pedal. So now I have no annoying honk, 1 press to start, 15 min run time, and I can get in and go without the stupid thing turning off. Success, thanks to the internet :)

#38 ·
Thanks for posting!

Do you know how far down the line the programming button is from the antennae?

I know where the line runs but I don't want to start pulling things off without knowing how far to look.

Thanks!

#41 ·
Well, the part I got was CM5Z-19G364-B This is for vehicles with KEY start. I dont have the part number, but it IS different if you have the mykey feature(s) / push button start. It is also a slightly more difficult installation. I got it for 229 dollars. Everything needed is included and it is for the bi-directional model.

#43 · (Edited)
Success with only 6 options in Bank 2 on 2012 Ti

Same story.. purchased a 2012 Ti with dealer installed Remote Start. Engine turned off as soon as I touched the door handle (keyless). I found the remote start module tucked up behind my glove box accessible through the glove box inner back side. The Program Button was obvious and mounted right beside the module along side the red LED.

Option Bank 2 only had 6 options settings when I scrolled through with the brake pedal. I'm guessing some of us have different firmware or something. After playing around a bit, this is how it now functions:

-Remote starts with 2 sec hold
-Honks 4 times on start up and door remain locked to anyone without the fob
-Car DOES NOT shut off when I touch handle or open the door. Nice!

Settings:
Option 1: LED Off
Option 2: LED Off
Option 3: LED On
Option 4: LED On
Option 5: LED On
Option 6: LED On

The 4 honks are annoying. Still trying to figure that out. I should mention that using the pdf I downloaded here, from start to finish it took me 10 min to get this figured out. The dealership said it would charge me 1 hour labour and $130-150 to do the same thing. Oh did I mention I'm an engineer for Ford? And that I purchased the car on A-plan? If this is how dealerships treat their own... rant rant... I'll pipe down now.

If anyone with a 6 option Bank 2 figures out how to set it up so it doesn't honk AND without restart needed.. please post the settings.

#44 ·
Same story.. purchased a 2012 Ti with dealer installed Remote Start. Engine turned off as soon as I touched the door handle (keyless). I found the remote start module tucked up behind my glove box accessible through the glove box inner back side. The Program Button was obvious and mounted right beside the module along side the red LED.

Option Bank 2 only had 6 options settings when I scrolled through with the brake pedal. I'm guessing some of us have different firmware or something. After playing around a bit, this is how it now functions:

-Remote starts with 2 sec hold
-Honks 3 times on start up and door remain locked to anyone without the fob
-Car DOES NOT shut off when I touch handle or open the door. Nice!

Settings:
Option 1: LED Off
Option 2: LED Off
Option 3: LED On
Option 4: LED On
Option 5: LED On
Option 6: LED On

The 3 honks are annoying. Still trying to figure that out. I should mention that using the pdf I downloaded here, from start to finish it took me 10 min to get this figured out. The dealership said it would charge me 1 hour labour and $130-150 to do the same thing. Oh did I mention I'm an engineer for Ford? And that I purchased the car on A-plan? If this is how dealerships treat their own... rant rant... I'll pipe down now.

If anyone with a 6 option Bank 2 figures out how to set it up so it doesn't honk AND without restart needed.. please post the settings.
That is a great start!

I was curious about how many feet from the antennae is the program button? Mine was ran up above the windshield then down the front stile on the driver side window.

#47 ·
Following you closely here, Yamazama. Looks like you have the same car and situation I do. I was very disappointed with how the remote start operated but a guy at the dealership told me I could probably find out how to re-program it here as he was legally bound (his words) to program it as it was. Since it's a push button start, do you actually have to start the car to start programming it? I did find my programming/override button so I at least have that info. Also, once programmed to continue running when the door is open, are you able to hit the break and shift gears without it shutting down? I'm kind of afraid to start messing with it but I guess I'll always be able to get it programmed back to how it started so it at least works..... hopefully.

#48 ·
So I have a 2012 Focus Ti with a dealer installed remote start. This is how I accessed the program menu: Yes you actually start the car.

The steps are:
-Ensure doors and liftgate are closed
-Depress and hold brake
-Press 'start' button (engine running now)
-Press and hold the Program button until the horn chirps 3 times signalling it's ready mode
-Press and release Program button, the horn will chrip 4 times indicating Option Bank 1. Scroll to Option Bank 2 with the Program Button (5 chirps indicates Option Bank 2). Scroll through options with a press/release of the brake pedal. Horn will chirp back at you to indicate what Option you are on (2 chirps, option 2; 3 chirps, option 3; etc). Once in an option, you can turn it on or off with a single click of the button on the transmitter.
-Turn the car off to save the settings.

To summarize what I've read, the problem has to do with the MyKey feature. When you remote start a car that has a keyless feature, it starts off a hidden fob imbedded in the remote start module. By default the 'safety' feature is actually just a way of making sure MyKey still functions with a remote start. By having the car shut down, it forces a restart. This time it starts off the drivers fob and thus retains any of the MyKey settings. Otherwise, if it stayed on, and a driver with MyKey functions set on his fob entered the car, those settings would not retain as the original start came off the hidden admin fob. That's why the dealership is giving people a hard time when they ask to disable shut-off. I checked the Installation manual for this remote start and the only thing programming instructions the Dealership Mechanics are given is to ensure Option 1 in Program Bank 2 is ON. Which goes against my "solution" above.

#51 ·
I agree, thanks for the great info! I'm going to have to look into doing this as well, especially since I have no need to use the My Key functionality.

#52 ·
This is great info as I have a 2012 Ti with the remote start that the dealership installed. I have the push button start so this info will be helpful. Unfortunately, when the dealership said they would put in a remote start, I thought they only had the bi directional option, but it appears I got the one way unit. Is there a way to change out the main unit to get the bi directional or is it a whole different set up? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.