I started installing the GT2871r today. The fit isn't as perfect as I thought, but it does fit. The turbine housing angle is a bit different than the IHI I built the manifold for and the result is a rather large gap between the block and the turbo. The new turbo is positioned up about 1" and out 1", putting the compressor housing almost against the coolant lines.
I did break one of the plastic coolant T's on removal so I'll be hitting Napa for another one. (PN 660-1593)
I'm still debating whether to dump the wastegate or pipe it back into the exhaust. I'll probably run it dumped at first.
I also broke off one of the nipples on the evaporator for probably the 4th time. I'm getting tired of gluing it back on.
- Remove old turbo
- Mock up new turbo and determine necessary modifications to piping
- Modify downpipe for 3" V-band
- Modify hot site pipe (eliminates a 90* bend)
- Modify ambient pipe
- Route coolant lines
- Mock up wastegate
- Weld in wastegate and route dump
- Datalog and tune
The gap. It's unnecessary but hey I'm not going to hack up my manifold if I don't have to.
IHI RHB52/16T hybrid vs. GT2871r
The new beast:
And one more for fun: