Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Metra dash kit for 2012 focus

74K views 112 replies 38 participants last post by  arnithma 
#1 ·
Its on their website but I can't figure out where to buy it. Anyone know?

#15 ·
cost on the dash kit is approx 150USD so if you buy it at a shop you will prob be paying between 2-300USD

the only problem i am trying to figure out without ripping the car apart right now while my dash kit is on order is what kind of harness does the car use and does it require a antenna adapter?

#16 ·
WIRING & ANTENNA CONNECTIONS (Sold Separately)
Wiring Harness: • XSVI-5524-NAV - Ford interface 2011-up
• FRST-2 - Ford RSE/SYNC/THX Retention Interface 2012-up
Antenna Adapter: • 40-EU10 Multi-App antenna adapter
Now ask yourself whether you want to wait for a steering wheel control adapter to come out before you do the install...

I'm waiting on AXXESS. Hopefully soon.

#17 ·
Here's a question I had on the wiring harness. On the instructions it states the following:

• Connect the Light Green wire to the parking brake wire of the aftermarket navigation radio.
• Connect the Blue/Pink wire to the V.S.S. or speed sense wire of the aftermarket
navigation radio.
• Connect the Green/Purple wire to the reverse wire of the aftermarket navigation radio.

Is this only necessary if you are installing a radio with built in nav? Do you tape them off otherwise?

#21 ·
Well, the wiring harness and antenna adapter are necessary no matter what.

As far as the Sync retention interface, I believe that might be for control of the second (little) screen, just to be able to access the menu and change the date.

Might be worth contacting metra, though.

#24 ·
I haven't seen anyone install it yet. If the steering wheel controls work as well as being able to retain control of the little upper screen, this will no doubt be the best option for upgrading the stock stereo. There's no other options out there, aside from the ACV kit (which I have), but with that, you lose the steering wheel controls and the little upper screen.

Just waiting for someone to be the test monkey since I already was for the ACV kit.

#31 ·
I just ordered one. Decided I'd risk it instead of waiting for other owner's feedback.

I have the S model, so I am hoping this works. I am also planning to do something a little different...instead of putting in an aftermarket radio I'll stick in a tablet. Seems more versatile (not to mention cheaper) than many aftermarket radios...

#32 ·
Keep us posted if you don't mind man. Very interseted to see your end result. I'm going with a touchscreen PC. [headbang]

#36 ·
I just ordered the dash kit and the Kenwood KDC X696. I would like to have gone with a double din but since Ford thought it was a good idea to have a proprietary fugly disaster of a radio-integrated-into-the-dash-so-consumers-cant-cheaply-and-easily-upgrade-their-crappy-radio design, driving the cost of the dash kit from a simple few dollars to $180, i opted to get a smaller head unit. It has bluetooth and six channel, 4v preamp output. I will also be installing DB6501 components in the front, DB651 coax in rear, and have two pioneer TS-W259D4 subs to fill in the bass. I wanted the six channel reamp outputs on that kenwood HU to make things easier when I install the two amps to power all this crap. Parts are in the mail. I will hopefully have everything installed in two weeks. Good luck on your head unit hunt.

#35 ·
The harness part number can be found in the dash kit instruction manual linked earlier in the thread.

I personally have a Pioneer x930bt. It is excellent. Bluetooth phone, streaming audio, ipod, built in navigation with optional traffic, DVD playback, backup cam capability, etc. Works flawless.

#42 ·
Hey man are you still running with the ACV kit? It looks like it will be my only option as the Metra kit won't work on euro cars.[:(]

#37 ·
I installed the dash kit this morning.

There are a number of things to note:

1. The buttons at the bottom of the kit work and work well. But they are very cheap looking and stick way out of the dash. I wonder if it is possible to switch out the buttons. The entire build quality is acceptable but not great.

2. The secondary screen is placed farther forward by about an inch and a half to 2 inches. This brings it more in line with the double din space below it, and is aesthetically pleasing. Unfortunately it leads to the following dilemma: if installing an aftermarket radio, the kit requires you to chop off two little plastic nobs extending down from the secondary screen. Fortunately I am keeping the radio intact.

3. I have the S, and the opening on the dash intended for the secondary screen is intended for the larger SE and up screens. It doesn't look horrible, but its not perfect.

Since I am adding a tablet to the existing radio solution, I was worried that when turning off the car the radio would require being turned on again. Since there are no controls on the dash kit for the radio this would be a huge issue. Fortunately it works perfectly. Upon turning on the car the radio turns on and accepts the last input (in my case the auxiliary input.)

Its unfortunate that this is the only dash kit around. It would be fine if it cost 20 dollars, but nothing really justifies the current price. The cheap buttons really detract from the look of the car. On the other hand, it fits well and looks OEM...albeit an OEM with questionable designs for their buttons.

Once the tablet comes and everything gets put together I will take some pictures.

#44 ·
Not surprised there is some criticism of those buttons. They look like they'd be cheap even in the picture.

Good to know it fits well though. I'll be waiting to see some of your guys results! Thanks for trying it out early!

I'd been debating ever since I got the car whether I was going to bother installing a double-din. Thought I might be able to live with the Sync system, but I think having a nice head unit beforehand ruined it for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.