Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Time to whoop a friends Honda. lol....maybe?

18K views 92 replies 16 participants last post by  SMITHBOY76908 
#1 ·
Okay well, me and my friend have decided to go to a drag track and go at it.

He drives a 1990's? Honda 2 door hatch, with the 1.8L V-tec, and he has a exhaust fully done, a slightly bigger fuel rail, CAI, and he plans to swap on the newer V-tec 1.6L head for higher compression. He is also lowered somewhere are 1.5-2.0 inch's.

I'll be driving the 03 zx3 Duratec 2.3l PZev, With-

OE Exedy fly/clt conversion kit.
OBX header, finished with 2.5 diameter piping and high flow cat.
Weapon R Intake.
1.5 inch drop, FRPP.
And CFM's torque mount bushings.

Who will win?

I can get off the line perfectly most time, with the tire's just barely letting loose.

I think he thinks the faster he spins the wheel, the faster he will go, but I'm not sure if he was just screwing around the one time that I asked to see him launch while leaving my crib.

Thanks,

BTW: This will be my first time on a drag track, is the sticky pavement a real big change from street?

Djzx3

See less See more
#30 ·
mac that is an ef civic.

he swapped a b18c1 into it. i am guessing. Not a lot of people put the c5 in it.

he should actually easily beat you.. he prob ways somewhere around 2500 lbs.. good luck.

#32 ·
Okay, I couldn't get a pic of the motor, but yes it is swapped, he said there used to be a SOHC in there, and they replaced it with a A1 engine, DOHC.

So tell me about this A1 engine?

#33 ·
the a1 is the base b18.. only 130 at the crank same as ztec. the b16 head i dont think will actually raise his compression by much. but it will give him vtec, i am assuming thats the main reason. he should give him only around 15 hp though.

thing you have to remember though is he is still much lighter than you. sorry to say but even with the b18a1 he will still probably beat you. the honda motors respond so much better to bolt on's as they have better flow in the head than our motors.

#35 ·
Na, sorry, 110 WHP, I got this, Take the back seat out, doing a A/C delete soon, take the spare and all that junk out, and anything else I can research before the big race.

Get my OBX header, tune, and cams just because I want them. I think I'll win. The Honda has 140K on it.

#42 ·
i dont think you know what your talking about... there are all 1.8l's

also all b series are DOHC

b18a1 - this is the most common integra motor. it is what they call an ls motor. it is dohc but not vtec.

b18c1 - this is the USDM GSR motor. it has Vtec and 40 more horsepower around 170 i think.

b18c5 - This is the USDM type-r motor around 190hp

b18c - JDM type r motor around 200 hp

#46 ·
Thanks for the info. If I wanted to get drag tire's for a 15-16 inch rim, what am I looking at for cost wise, and the biggest question.... where do I get drag tires for a focus?

Right now I have 17 inch rims on 205/45/R17, would I be able to keep those for the back?

#47 ·
You think I'll have any worries with taking my OE Exedy fly/clt kit to 6000-6500K.

It says on the box, not for racing or exceeding the factor RPMS?
I turned my stock dual mass flywheel 7000+rpm all the time and am now turning my Exedy stg 2 to 7800rpm, soon to be 8k and still with stock internals. Don't be afraid to rev it up. Why people are so afraid to rev these engines has been a big mystery to me... [scratch]

BTW, if you're only revving to 6k, you're leaving a lot of usable power under the table.

#53 ·
I bought my slicks lightly used from a member on FJ. They're Mickey Thompson 24.5 x 8 x 15 tube-type drag slicks. I had them on my stock 15" wheels for a while, I'll try to find a pic. I now have them on 15 x 8 5 star drag wheels.

17" wheels are horrible for drag racing. They're too heavy. That's one advantage the Honda definitely has on you is unsprung reciprocating wheel weight. You'd do better to drop down to 15" wheels, even stockers. The less the wheel/tire weight and the more centered the weight to the center of the wheel, the better.

#55 ·
jegs can get you slicks pretty fast some 22x8x15 will do fine on a NA setup

#61 ·
He has way more then enough power to turn a 22in slick? have you tried a 22in slick before?

#65 ·
you won't need one.

here a perfect example bryan focus goes low 14s on motor running a 23in tall slick. (too tall for just the motor) but when he sprays it he needs that 23in slick. this car has a open diff also. he has made 15 or so 1.7 60ft passes

Yes ik this is a duratec car but its a perfect example of using all the power you have.

#66 ·
Hey, everyone's got to learn somewhere, right?

Atleast I'm willing to ask for your guys teaching on the drag strip technique, and not just acting like I know it all cause I do it on the street.

EDIT: awesome job by your friend there. Was he hitting the rev limit on take off?

#67 ·
we have the 2step set at 6500 on his car. thats what your hearing. on a 22in slick i would try launching at 5500. don't drop the clutch but slip it a little.

#69 ·
its just a controlled launch limiter. you set it to say 5500rpm and you can WOT the gas pedal and it will sit at 5500 till you go above 3mph moving.

#70 ·
I perfer a Bias Ply Racing tire over a Drag Radial for many reasons. 1. Bias Ply tires weighs alot less then its radial counterpart. 2. The sidewalls are wrinkle wall and easier on the driveterrain and launch better. 3. Bias Ply street slicks, or slicks are stickier.

All motor 22" slicks are a great idea. I would recommend M&H or M/T for tires. I have a set of M&H Street Slicks(Street/Strip ~23x8) and they are a great tire for an all motor car. My 13x8"/23x8" drag combo is 12.5lbs lighter then my street set-up which is already a lightweight rota slipstream set-up. A 2.3L Duratec should light those up in the burn out box no problems.

There's no embarrasement running a slick or street slick on a street car, street tires belong on the street not on the track IMO. If you want to get the most of your set-up buy a set of street slicks or slicks.

Just keep in mind Radials are heavy but you will get more mileage out of them and they don't feel like they are floating if you use them on the street.

Keep your diameter small 15" wheels tops.

#71 ·
Forgot to mention, you should take him no problem with that motor. The problem is that the car si 50% of the equation, if you don't know how to launch or bang gears, your going to be seeing Honda tailights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.