Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Adding Subwoofers to a Titanium

27K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  BLRich1 
#1 ·
Do you think it is a good idea to hook a system up to the Sony stereo system? I am not quite sure how that would work, since adding an aftermarket cd player isn't really an option. How would this work with the MyFord Touch? Has anyone already done this? Any problems? I was thinking about just adding like 1 12", since it's already got great bass for a stock radio

#2 ·
Personally I think the system is the best sounding factory system I've ever heard, but there is an amp in the trunk underneith the carpet liner that I'm sure you could plug a different woofer into.

#4 ·
Id like to swap out the factory one for a 12", I have thought about it. But at the same time, since there is no way to independently control the sub, I have a feeling it would get REALLY annoying for some songs.

#21 ·
Why wouldn't you be able to control it? There is a setting in the MFT for the depth of bass from the subwoofer is there not? Just use the wiring that's already there and hook up the new one.. control the dB from the new amp installed in the progress and find a happy medium for the subwoofer versus different type of songs.

Iuno, just a thought.

#5 ·
Considering that the Ti's already have a sub and a sub box, you can just swap them out for something better. But just a simple swap will do little to improve things. Since ford castrates the sound, your better off replacing the HU or adding an LOC that also fixes the sound quality issues then run your own amps.

#6 ·
I've always had at least 2 12"s in my car, I've gotten so used to having them that even this nice ass stock sound system
...I want it louder. Ive never had to independently control the subs so that wouldn't be a problem for me. I guess my best bet is to go to an audio shop and check out my options.

#8 ·
You want to be very careful simply replacing the old sub with a new one. You do not want to over stress the factory amp and burn it up, as this will void your warranty on it.

Some big things to keep in mind when installing subs:
• What Ohms does the sub run at, and what ohms does the amp output at
• When wiring multiple subs, what is the total ohm load on the amp
• What RMS and Peek watts does the sub require
• What is the amount of watts that the amp delivers to the sub

Those are just some quick points to check. If you cannot answer those 100%, then you should not be installing subs without professional help. Continuing to do so can fry your amp, ruin the subs, or cause serious wire damage inside the car.

#9 ·
x2 If youre looking to add a sub to the stock amp. I'd definitely talk to a professional first. Especially with the placement of the amp, overburdening it is almost a sure thing and it will most likely burn up. Not much ventilation.

That's why I probably won't touch mine. You'll most likely have to (at the very least) change the amp and the sub.

#10 ·
So went by an audio shop down the street and they said all they would have to do is plug a new amp into the old one to run the new subs. I had an old pathfinder with the bose audio system and it had its own amp and i ran subs through it for like 8 years so Im sure this would be just fine

#11 ·
The problem as I see it is that our Sony sub is not just a sub. It is also the DSP. There is no sub feed from the HU. Also our system chokes down output the higher you turn the volume to keep distortion from blowing the stock speakers.

To get the volume / bass you are seeking, you need to eliminate the Sony sub and replace it with a good DSP + amp + bigger sub(s).

I haven't found a viable solution at a price point I'm OK with yet, but I'm still looking.

#13 ·
I would think its possible. I replaced the factory 8" sub that came with the audiophile system in my truck, but the SQ stayed the same. You need to replace everything to make an improvement over the factory sony system.

#16 ·
Yes, I have added subs to my 2012 focus, however it is an SE and without the sony system. The sony system is going to cause you much more problems than the regular 4-6 speaker configuration because of the built in amp/sub. You could just splice in an LOC and run that to add additional subs to run aside the built in sub, however you will want to be careful how much strain you are putting onto the alternator after doing this.

This is why it is not really recommended to adding aftermarket subs to the sony system, or any system with amps/subs added in by stock. You have to fully know what you are doing and what to order not to cause problems with the stock configuration. The last thing you want to do is add subs to it not knowing what your doing and cause hundreds/thousands of dollars of damage to a no longer warrantied sound system.

#17 ·
I would definitely get a professional to install at this point, because it is becoming more difficult than I imagined. Or I might just forget about subs altogether. By the time I got a custom box to fit well in the trunk and a professional installation and what not, it would prbably costing more than it's worth.

#18 · (Edited)
Your best solution would be run the leads going to the sub into a LOC, then into another amp, then to a new sub or better sub in the factory box. At least that way you will have some real power going to the sub, instead of the crap sony amp they use now that is rated at 390 watts total for all 10 speakers, and that rating is more than likely peak power. The RMS is probably around 200, then divide that into 10 speakers and you get like 20 watts per channel.

#25 ·
Adding a sound processor is the way to go with the MFT/Sony 10 speaker. A JL clean sweep, MS-8 or my personal favorite an Audio Cotrol LCQ-1. Install with the LCQ would go like this:

Splice into the Sonys front, rear and sub output

Wire the outputs to the LCQ witch then filters out all factory EQ and let's you tune each channel to your preference

From the LCQ to your aftermarket amps

Compliments to our unfocused friend Tony407

#26 ·
The LCQ also has what they call their "Acubass" feature that completely eliminates the factory bass roll off you hear when the volume is increased. Nothing but a clean unfiltered audio source for your aftermarket amps. I also ordered their remote bass controll that gives you volume controll over your sub channel from wherever you'd like to mount it. Oh and IMHO anyone who says the factory sony sound is some of the best they have ever heard is seriously missing out on what a well designed car stereo should should like.

#27 ·
Tomorrow, I am getting 2 12's installed with a seperate amp. Guy said that it would be fine running all three, but I just wouldnt be able to control the subs independently. Therefore, I am getting him to add in a toggle switch to be able to kill the additional subbs and go back to factory. Including the wiring kit plus the "hi/lo" adapter to the HU plus labor, I am looking at 165.00 (including taxes). Thoughts?

#30 ·
Does $165 include the subs, box, amp, loc (hi/lo), and wiring kit? If so, then what kind of subs and amp are you getting put in? Can't be anything spectacular for that cheap.

nvm. I shoudl have read more. So basically, from what I understand, it takes the restriction off of the stereo so you are able to control the sound in a more detailed manner?

My question is, do you really need this? Is there going to be that much of a difference?
I wired my subs using an LOC from the front speakers and everything sounds pretty great. I don't think the LCQ is really necessary unless you want top of the line audio in your car.

Make sure you tell the guy installing your subs to wire the LOC to the front speakers and not the back, because Ford limits the frequency outputs to the back speakers for some reason and the subs will not play all the bass.

Btw, I have the 6 speaker setup, but the installation should be roughly the same since your using an LOC

#29 ·
nvm. I shoudl have read more. So basically, from what I understand, it takes the restriction off of the stereo so you are able to control the sound in a more detailed manner?

My question is, do you really need this? Is there going to be that much of a difference?

#32 ·
Moved to "Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.