Focus Fanatics Forum banner

TSB 12B37 - New?

125K views 567 replies 136 participants last post by  ssn666hawkbill 
#1 ·
Etis shows a new outstanding field service action for my 2/12 build SEL and my wife's 9/11 build SE:

"12B37 - , AND THE ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) MODULE"

A search of FF turned up nothing for 12B37 and neither did a search of the web. I assume this is a new one as it wasn't showing on either vehicle the other day. It also doesn't show as a recall on the Ford Owners site.

Does anyone have any details on it?

Thanks

#62 ·
Had the update

First post as a member...
I found this forum after I purchased my 2012 Focus Titanium sedan last week and the dealer notified me of a software update.

On my way home...i noticed that my tranny went from shifting very smooth to lurching between 1st and 2nd. I called the dealer and he said "give it time to relearn your driving habits." This isn't the first Ford i've had transmission updates on...so I calmed down and went for a drive.

Happy to report it is shifting smoothly again. Shudder at take off seems non-existent now. But i did notice it seems to grab the highest gear as quickly as it can. Might be an increased fuel econ measure?

Either way...i'm good now. :cool:
Nice to find this site too!

#64 ·
That's what mine did for a few hours until it seemed to iron itself out.

I'm fairly certain it responds to throttle position. I tend to intentionally drive a little bit more aggressive during the 'learn' phase and i notice the transmission will hang on to gears longer which i appreciate.

BTW...this is my third focus (i had a 2001 and a 2005) and about the 15th Ford i've owned...(i just got my wife a Ford Flex...which is straight up sweet) and i'm really impressed with what Ford has done. The details seemed to have been sweated...from the dash texture to the technology they packed in...they definitely were aiming for head of the class.

As much as I miss my Mazda3 5 door...this should fill the void nicely. :cool:

#77 ·
It sounds to me like this FSA is to appeal to the "common driver" who may not understand the way the DCT works, to make the transmission act more like an automatic. I had a couple of issues with the way it worked originally, more to do with the laziness of the shifts, more than anything, but, since doing the TSB on the transmission, I have enjoyed driving even more. I enjoyed the feeling of being like a manual transmission, including the rollback. My car has hill assist, so I don't get too much of the rollback, but enough to keep the guy behind me away if I gave it a little roll....Dumb question, is hill assist on all DCT's? or just the SEL and Titanium?

#83 ·
I'm taking my S in tomorrow because of a brake problem, and I'll have the DCT reprogrammed at the same time. In reverse, I didn't have any stopping power, the pedal wouldn't move until I really bore down on it. It acted like it lost power assist, so in it goes. It only did it once though. I asked if they could take care of the shudder on the transmission too, and they said they would. Whether they have the FSA I won't know until tomorrow. I'll update on what happens, then my other Focus will go in for the same thing if it works out.

#86 ·
Letter from Ford

Here's the letter Ford is sending out...

#87 ·
Mine is a May 2011 build and have complained about the trans to my service manager almost from day one. They've pee'd me off so much that I now go to another local dealer. I hope this one fixes the issue (I had the update done in December) as it did make a difference but it's still not where it needs to me.

Joe

#90 ·
Hi, folks,

My 10/11 build Focus to Ti hatch was in the shop last week for slow actuation of passing gear and door module (flashing puddle lamps and intermittent power window operation). I also had them order a new focus emblem which was falling off. Anyway, they installed the "abs/PCM flash update they received Friday May 4th. I took it on a 40 mile round trip shakedown trip including i95 near quantico and the windy joplin road in Prince William county, va, followed by a 310 mile round trip to Hampton Roads, VA. Here is what I noted:

1. Far faster actuation of passing gear (55-80mph acceleration).
2. Roll back on slight inclines almost completely gone. Faster engage off the brake from a stop.
3. Less shudder off the line but still the occasional "grind it and find it" phenomenon with low speed 1-2 shifts under light throttle.
4. Far more pronounced difference in sport mode. Before update there was nearly no difference between modes. Now it feels well sporty.
5. And this will make you smile: 35.7 mpg on mostly highway driving versus the 27 I got before!!!

It was worth the trouble. Believe me. And I even had to pay $67 for a loaner car. (2012 mustang).

#95 ·
Wow! Sounds like one of those late night infomercials [giddy]
Be one of the first 100 callers, and we'll throw in a microfiber cloth with a retail value of 29.95. Yours absolutely free with our special offer.
So thats the PCM, TCM, & ABS updates, and our free gift absolutely Free. Some restrictions apply. Offer not valid in China, Argentina,....

#96 ·
Recall fixed today

Just got my car back from the dealer, I had it in for my 10 k service and the windshield wiper recall. It also looks like they reprogrammed the PCM, no parts changed. When I went in I mentioned I heard about a new recall and they didn't give me any problems. The recall # on the receipt is 12B37. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but the I did notice the slight vibration from the DCT while at a stop(like normal). Luckily I live in a hilly area so I will be able to test the rollback the recall mentions (not that I ever minded that) and the gear shifts probably tomorrow on the way to work.

#97 ·
[...]I did notice the slight vibration from the DCT while at a stop(like normal)
I notice this on my mid-May build as well; I believe this was fixed by a beefed up motor mount on the later builds (it's too bad we can't get those replaced for free...)

Anyway, I've scheduled an appointment for the wiper and transmission recalls first thing tomorrow. I'm excited to see the difference! Eeee! [:D]

#98 ·
I just got a good test of the roll-back with the update.
Our driveway is one car wide and fairly steep hill. My wife's car needed a jumpstart, but she was parked nose in. Luckily I have 20' cables, but I still had to get close to her bumper while on a hill. It wasn't that easy becuase I kept rolling back because I was too hesitant to give it too much gas.
I feel sorry for anyone who has to parallel park one of these on a hill. (I envy anyone driving a manual who can do this)

#102 ·
I got to drive it a bit this morning, and it felt like a whole new car again. It seemed alot more responsive on hill starts(though I never had any complaints about it before). Shifting on flat ground seemed snappier too, before it seemed to hunt around, but now its shifts faster and smoother. I drive alot in slow traffic but haven't had a chance to drive it yet. I'm hoping that's improved because before I would manually shift because it was so unpredictable. Driving in S was a great surprise, there is a more noticeable difference now between S and D.

good job Ford [cheers]

#106 ·
The one thing I have noticed is my avg fuel Econ seems far less since the update. I have reset it twice...but it ends up averaging about 5mpg lower than before the update.

Love to hear if anyone else's experience is similar?

#107 ·
It took awhile to download, but we were done in about 2 1/2 hours, as promised. Then about 20 miles of driving in traffic. I tried many times to get the shudder going, but couldn't, and it seems to drive more smoothly. I'll see how it's doing for mpg when this tank of gas runs low. My S doesn't have a readout of mpg.

#110 ·
I just had my car in last Tuesday (May 2) to have the issue with my transmission looked at. They applied whatever service update was current at the time, but I still have the same issue which is shuddering when you take your foot off the brake (I have an SEL 4-Dr built on 2/16/2012). It feels like a manual when you start taking your foot off the clutch while the car is in gear. It doesn't do it all the time, but it does it enough.

I called the dealer back today and mentioned the new FSA 12B37. I heard her doing some typing on the computer and after a couple of minutes she told me they just got some information about that FSA this past Friday (May 4). She told me that Ford is sending out letters during the week of May 21 and they'll have the information and updates at the end of May.

So I'll just wait it out until then. I hope this helps some people here on the forum.
Quoting myself from the DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread...

After hearing about some of you guys getting the 12B37 done this week and getting the response above from 1 dealer, I decided to call another dealer near me (Bill Marsh Ford in Newtown, PA) and ask them about the FSA. He put in my VIN and told me my car was due for the update. I'm bringing it in Thursday night to have it done. Hopefully it can fix the shudder issue. [giddy]

#139 ·
I'm still amazed at the ignorance or complete lack of education of some dealers with regards to this car. To me it's either Ford not communicating down properly or laziness of the dealer's service groups in not doing their homework. I tend to believe the latter. I qualify this by saying my original dealer's service manager fought me at each turn in attempting to get the December update done to my 5/11 build while another dealer some 15 miles away knew of everything that was going on with this car and was willing to assist me should my original dealer not want to or simply couldn't.

While since the update in January mine is far better than the original, there are still issues (mostly attempting to get up to speed merging onto an interstate - it seems to hunt for the right gear or the original programming was so bad it took out one of the clutches). I'm hoping that this update will solve this remaining issue.

I'm calling the "other" dealer tomorrow for an appointment.

Joe

#118 ·
Got a call today for yet another recall regards to the PCM/TCM/ABS so i suppose it is this TS12B37. They said something about experiencing rollback for the car as well. I am scheduled an appointment for next Monday and was told it will be 1-2hrs. Dammit I just went over for the wiper recall 2 weeks ago =(

#120 ·
Just picked up my car. The TSB 12B37 completed. Noticeable difference!.

When I first got my car the 1st gear shudder, passing delays, etc were fixed a great deal with the update just prior to this one. Funny though, one of the things I noticed on the prior update was 1st to 2nd seemed pretty firm and I guess over the past few weeks I became adjusted to it and maybe without even thinking would brace a little for the 1st to 2nd shift. Well now after the latest update I am still bracing in anticipation of the same 2nd gear shift and its GONE!. ITs very smooth now. The transition between gears is really nice. I still haven't driven it enough to see what other improvements it has to offer but I have high hopes!.

One of the biggest issues I have with the prior update was slowing down for a turn and then once the turn was made there was a delay in the down shift. I hope to find thats no longer the case.

Also in traffic on the way back from the dealership, It did seem to quickly drop to the correct gear each and every time I made a maneuver through traffic so that's great as well!.

I'd say based already on what I've driven, its definitely a good update!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.