Focus Fanatics Forum banner

stealthzx3's ZX3 build

120K views 1K replies 45 participants last post by  zx3_bmxrider 
#1 ·
alright, so this will be my on-going build thread. i've always been fascinated with cars since a was a little kid. after my first Toyota threw a rod, i was driving a 99' Chevy metro. then one day, my dad found my 2001 ZX3 on craigslist for 1,200. i called the owner and talked to them about buying it. so i held my breath, and sold my metro and borrowed a little extra cash from my mom to buy the Focus.
my dad and I drove an hour to go check it out. we took it for a test drive, and i almost immediately fell in love with it. it was compact yet comfortable, and very fun to drive. somehow we walked away with it for $900. it sat in the garage because it needed a heater core flush (it was winter), oil change, fresh coolant, and 2 tires. eventually, my dad got annoyed of me driving his minivan because he was stuck with a dodge ram getting under 20mpg. so he bought me 2 new tires and paid for registration.
i loved driving it around, because i felt like a bada$$ compared to driving in that metro, lol. i remember going on a Tercel forum and learning about my car; that's when i found FocusFanatics :D

after that, i started painting the interior pieces, because that's the only thing i could afford.

one day, i picked up a can of the VHT Niteshades. i did my bumper and grille signals.
don't mind the eyelids here, i got bored and made them out of electrical tape LOL

i also debadged it, but i don't have a shot of that right away. i eventually figured out how to open my hatch (hatch button doesn't work and the key doesn't fit in) and nite-shaded my tails.

looking around in the how-to archive, i found the Hope Depot grille. i made the upper and lower and painted them black.

i just got a debit card in my name, so i ordered my first thing. the blue LED dome light.

i got around to getting 2 cans of plasti-dip. i took off the crappy electrical tape and painted real eyelids on. then i found time to plastidip my wheels too.

looking around for a sleeker looking antenna than just cutting the stock antenna in half, i found the antenna stub. 2 vacuum plugs on the stock base. i think it looks cleaner.

i recently bought a damaged SVT wing which i need to fix up and install.

today, i plasti-dipped the vent surrounds and handles to switch it up a bit.

this is how she sits now. i have a lot of mods in mind.

i'm taking it pretty slow for now, as i have to support my girlfriend and I with a minimum wage job.
i have many ideas for the future, and thankfully, i have the "focus graveyard" somewhat close to get nice parts.
thanks for taking the time to read this, and i will post new mods when it happens. [:D]

See less See more
#563 ·
ookay, i see. so i'll wire the top lights and halos to parking lights, and bottom lights to the signals.

the only major difference i see between our headlights is when i have my brights on, it's only the inside bulbs. not both of them.

#565 ·
You'll need to do this to get both inner lights to work at the same time: http://ofoc.ca/hid/step05.html. I don't know how it is for your lights but for the Machs, the inner bulbs aren't that bright alone, but when combined with the middle lights (which have there own bright setting if that makes since), they are way brighter. Just think of the middle light as the bulbs you just took out of your car which have the bright and low beams in one bulb, the projectors are the same way with the inside lights as aids.

#567 ·
I edited the above post a little more so hopefully it makes more sense.

Thanks, my bumper is this (obviously painted but this is the only close up picture I have of it). It's two orange LED strips on either side wired in to replace the side indicators.

And I actually don't know for sure whether I have HID's or not. It's what ever came with the lights; they do have a very nice blue/white tint to them that I really like.

#570 ·
yep i just have normal bulbs. they came with the headlights.

i have some horrible news, i got rear ended at a fireworks show tonight. my whole hatch door is wrecked, and obviously my window is destroyed. so i'm reallllly hoping my insurance will cover it. i will post pics tomorrow if you want, but it just kills me to look at it.... and i was supposed to get low this weekend.. [mecry][mecry][mecry][mecry]

#573 ·
We all know that, no doubt, thats why really feel sorry for what happened, and hope you can get it all fixed in no time (covered by insurance)

#574 ·
i sure hope it will be covered. the only thing is, i don't deal with the stuff, i'm only 18, so my dad deals with that for now. i'm just praying i can get everything i need fixed.

also, i didn't mention, it was a hit-and-run. so i haven't a clue who could have done it. it had to be a big truck though because it's above my rear bumper.

#581 ·
i do have collision, but i would need to pay a $500 deductible to get it. so i found one at a local yard for $100. i hope my guy has a black one. and i just installed my color matched hatch trim too. :(

i appreciate the support everyone. i will be getting the hatch door tomorrow. so i will post pics of the accident and the new hatch. i wanted to go with a SVT hatch right away with the color matched trim and the wing, but the yard never had a black SVT for parts. i can't complain though.

also, i hope i will have some time to wire up the rest of my lights in my headlights. i'm excited to see how they turn out. i will be doing the highbeam hack as well.

#583 ·
Correct. I had a little trouble getting both end to connect properly, but after a little playing, it works fine.

BTW. Some 2005-07 Foci came with painted hatch trim pieces. It's a stretch, but it may be worth looking into.

#588 ·
i know, the lights are a little loose now, but they are fine. only problem i have now is aligning the door perfectly. and yes bryan, it is a painted trim piece! it was off a zx5.

btw, i'm gettting my sportline springs today!

#594 ·
Wow sorry to hear man.. are you going to repaint the rear hatch door? You should also try and take the rear bumper off, heat up the paint and just pop the dent out.. good luck dude! And sport lines are great!
the hatch i got is already black. i'm lucky i got the last one in black (that was fully in tact) and yes, i may pop the dent out of the bumper, but i'm not too worried about it atm.

Doooooooood. Someone definetly hit your focus hard. I havent been on in a week, glad you were in the car when it happened! Well if you were I guess you would have known who did it. But atleast you are getting your sportlines. :) That will make up for the accident. Cant wait to see what it looks like lowered. (Probly just like mine. *shocked.* lol) Good luck getting everything back together! If I lived closer I would help in a second.
i know! i was so mad. and yes, it will look very familiar to you. lol

damn man they hit ya hard holy crap...was it a truck? jebus...
must have been... a big truck with a big brush guard or something. stupid ********...

Great and awesome, respectively.
thanks man.

#590 ·
Doooooooood. Someone definetly hit your focus hard. I havent been on in a week, glad you were in the car when it happened! Well if you were I guess you would have known who did it. But atleast you are getting your sportlines. :) That will make up for the accident. Cant wait to see what it looks like lowered. (Probly just like mine. *shocked.* lol) Good luck getting everything back together! If I lived closer I would help in a second.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.