Focus Fanatics Forum banner

The duratec long tube headers fit!!! (no check engine light)

132K views 310 replies 88 participants last post by  NickCornell 
#1 ·
Time to make some waves on the forums people. Get Ready for this. Just Finished with NO MODIFICATIONS Adding a Long Tube Header and Flex with No Modifications at all to the original exhaust.

I drove over 75 miles already without a single Check Engine Light for the CAT Effieciency Code.

The Header is F2 (But Im positive The Fswerks header will Fit even better).

It even has the spot to bolt the extra bolt that was on the Duratec manifolds!

This is a Direct Bolt on With NO MODIFICATIONS NEEDED TO FINISH!

Since I am a Perfectionist since the pipe was 1/2" short and it pulled the exhaust slightly forward I cut and welded a 3/4" extension to the cat back to make it go back to the perfect position it was in.

I dont expect rep to be posted. But for all the shit you guys give me for being dishonest or not knowing anything about this platform I certainly deserve some. (considering I have owned 8 Ford Focuses since 2000)

ENJOY!

(Also FSWERKs we spoke already today Im sorry for the mix up but im sure your header will fit since this one does and you can link this to your facebook you have my permission)

(C-F-M William hope this helps you guys so you can start selling some fswerks Long tubes)

See less See more
#49 ·
Thanks for all the R & D, and posting the info and flicks! [cheers] I must have missed something though..................what brand is the Long Tube Header? Ford? Steeda? FSWorks? Unobtanium? [???:)]

#50 ·
F2 headers long out if business that's why I know focussport headers will fit. The original I tried was Obx and needed mods. I measured my friends fswerks/ focussport header and it will fit with no issues.

#204 ·
Ok...quoting this from 5 pages ago:

F2 headers long out if business that's why I know focussport headers will fit. The original I tried was Obx and needed mods. I measured my friends fswerks/ focussport header and it will fit with no issues.
I read through the posts, but nowhere did you explain the modifications needed. What were they? And to talk about the flex issue...wasn't there a difference in length between auto and 5 speed flex pipes back when you ordered this on the orignal Duratecs? IIRC the auto was longer, so if you ordered that from FSWerks when you order your header, that would solve your problem, right?

Sorry if this was talked about in another thread and I missed it, I just wanted to get some clarity.

#51 · (Edited)
I gave much deserved rep for being the guinnea pig.

I have a question for focusboy, or anyone else. If I wanted high flow exhaust (this header and full 2.5" exhaust) what are some muffler brands/models to look at to keep the car fairly quiet. In a perfect world I'd like to have a full free flowing exhaust that is just as quiet as stock.

Also, has anyone tried (or have links to flow tests) of some of the high flow cat's sold by companies like Magnaflow? I'm curious if it is possible to have a aftermarket cat that still flows fairly well that would stay legal for some who need it. Of, if the whole high flow cat thing is just marketing crap.

Chris

#52 ·
Its not marketing crap its just you wont see nowhere near the gains from no Cat. Also There is always the 2.5" Stealth From fswerks. But you will also never be able to remove a cat and stay factory quiet thats just not possible.

#58 ·
still no check engine light and heres my theory... The Cats o2 sensor is put in one of the banks of the pipe and not reading all 4 so it doesnt show enough to make it go off. Or maybe the car just burns that clean.

#89 ·
It is direct injection and has a cleaner (more efficient/complete burn) as you likely know...but I think the first guess is correct, or at least a part of it. If it were really burning that clean without a cat they would have saved the money and just deleted it for you.

Nice work here FB, glad to have the info!

#64 ·
Simply put no way but it would be drivable and quiet enough and the gains are respectable

#67 ·
Sounds like some of you guys might want to go on youtube and check out some videos of basically stock 4 cylinders with exhausts running no cat AND that have maybe one resonator or muffler (sometimes nothing).

I think they sound god awful (when you hear those loud "ricers" they usually are running an exhaust like that) but you are the one that's going to have to drive with it everyday.

You can do an exhaust without a cat properly, but you have to spend the money. FocusBoy58's attempt looks the most promising.

#68 ·
i've Daily'd straight pipes with no cats on two of my cars, but that was back when i did everything for performance and didn't really care about comfort. It really depends on how dedicated you are.

Not all 4 cyl are created equal. some 4 cyl sound better than others regardless of exhaust set-up. There are too many contributing factors to say just look at any 'ol 4 cyl. for example, there is 6 bends in the fswerks exhaust system, all six of those bends alter the sound. My civic only had 2 bends before the over axle, if i were to run a straight over the axle it would be quieter than "LCR dump."

If I ever get the funds I would choose the RH and stealth exhaust ...maybe one day

#69 ·
If I ever get the funds I would choose the RH and stealth exhaust ...maybe one day
Best grand you will spend on this car hands down. Power difference is ridiculous. Ofcourse this is from my butt dyno. but its easy to feel 10+ wheel horsepower.

#74 ·
So your going to ignore the chance of 30+ whp on a car just for the sake of no tuning? Youll get a couple more horsepower from a tune on bolt ons but remember this isnt a turbo and isnt a built motor its a bolt on car.

Not knocking you dude im just saying your missing out.

#75 ·
Well, if I put a long tube header on the 'ol sedan, it would be with Borla's cat back system with the muffler it comes with, or the usniversal muffler Sleighman used in his dual out let mad. Think that would be quiet enough for a daily driver, or should I forget the header?

BTW: All that would likely be with a Steeda CAI. TY!

#76 ·
Think that would be quiet enough for a daily driver, or should I forget the header?

BTW: All that would likely be with a Steeda CAI. TY!

Like Mine :D

Use 2 Mufflers with this setup and the sound will make you want to make accident in your pants from excitement.

2.5" in/out 6" round
2.5" in/dual out Traverse mount

#91 ·
Well tuning is being worked on by SCT and delta force tuning. So shouldn't be to much longer before its here

#92 ·
Dude when tuning comes. 200whp with bolt on will make this a sick car for anyone. Who wouldn't want a mid 14s eco box.

#241 ·
That's what I did on my 92' SHO, true dual 2.25", I bet I could do it on this car too. Come off the header with flex pipe, used that on my SHO too, and use an appropriate "Y" fitting and run the pipes on top of one another to the back and then split into two, 2.25" racing mufflers like this: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_16120050-P_x_x?cm_mmc=ACQ-_-Google-_-enhancedRM-_-16120050&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=16120050&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}&gclid=CJ-igbDn_LUCFe4-Mgod4QwA3A

#99 ·
Finally I have to chime in and say there is no such thing as true duals on the four banger. Unless you have 2 manifolds running 2 pipes to the rear. Dual out muffler does not mean it is true dual exhaust.

Just like all the CAI that are really RAI.

#103 ·
Let's not make this a legal debate everyone should just be rejoicing for our cars can make some serious power from bolt ons and get 40+ mpg while doing it.

#112 ·
I was scheduled to go Monday the 30th and they called today and said I had to rescedule because of a customer thats in the dynoshop. They can't turn him away because the car broke and they are waiting for parts. It's supposedly a Mark Donahue AMX and the owner can't have it sitting in the parking lot. So now I have to wait till the 10th to get the car on the dyno.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.